Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower stumper

Saw this on a "Boating Forum " LOL

"The hot water in my house. If you run hot only it will run forever. If you add cold water to make the shower temp tolerable. The hot water runs out in about two minutes? Any suggestions of what the problem may be?"

Re: Shower stumper

there is two possibilities that I can think of, or even a combination of the two,
    but not enough info to make any kind of real determination,

1. a faulty thermostatic balancing valve is malfunctioning, some way, (is there a tempering valve on the heater)

2. some how the cold is back feeding into the hot water line in time over coming the hot water, (had this happen on a hand sink one time (and when another sink faucet was used it back feed in the one sink and cool the second sink hot water supply) ended up putting check valves in the hand sink so it could not happen, (this was on a hand washing sink that the shut off was not at the valve but on the mixed water, there are some add on faucet controllers that attach to the aerator so kids will not leave the water running,)

for some reason the two Min's seems to make me think that the mix is coming from some place else than the shower valve it self, in other words it is taking 2 Min's for the hot water line to drain out of hot water,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Maybe turning on the cold water is taking away enough pressure from the cold line to reduce the output pressure of the heater.

If it's taking away lots of pressure from an already low pressure system, that may be just enough to fool the user into thinking he/she has no water left at all.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post

"The hot water in my house. If you run hot only it will run forever. If you add cold water to make the shower temp tolerable. The hot water runs out in about two minutes? Any suggestions of what the problem may be?"
        Usually if there's backfeeding hot water will push cold. What I would do, if it's possible (pipes buried in walls notwithstanding...) Feel the hot water pipe back to the water heater before you turn the cold on. Then once you've turned the cold on feel the pipes at the water heater.

Although I suspect it's possible there could be some kind of control problem in the mixing valve. Since we don't know if it's pressure balanced, temperature balanced, and if temperature balanced is it paraffin based or bimetallic or some other technology? Sounds like a fun one though.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          Usually if there's backfeeding hot water will push cold. What I would do, if it's possible (pipes buried in walls notwithstanding...) Feel the hot water pipe back to the water heater before you turn the cold on. Then once you've turned the cold on feel the pipes at the water heater.

Although I suspect it's possible there could be some kind of control problem in the mixing valve. Since we don't know if it's pressure balanced, temperature balanced, and if temperature balanced is it paraffin based or bimetallic or some other technology? Sounds like a fun one though.
          Are you making that up?

I've never heard those terms before

Comment

He says It's a Non Pressure balanced 2 Handle Valve

He also says it happens with all Fixtures ...

Keeping my eye on this one ...

Problem just started supposedly ...

Comment

Parafin based and bimetallic are terms used by Toto on there pressure balancing valves.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Are you making that up?

I've never heard those terms before
                plumber:

Yep just made em up on the spot.

I understand there are many ways to skin a cat. Personally I wouldn't waste time skinning it, when a plastic bag, a brick, and a bridge over a river would be less messy. (OK bad joke but I can live with the guilt )

There are several ways to create anti scald devices. Some have balancing pistons. Some thermostatic valves use a paraffin material which expands and contracts very rapidly with temperature to maintain a desired temp. Then of course the good old bi metallic method where spring pressure varies with temperature. Unless things have changed Taco zone valves operate using a paraffin base too. I imagine there are other methods which I'm not aware of.

Apparently what kind of anti scald isn't an issue in this case because it's a two handle valve.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

first thought: as with anything that makes zero sense, get on site and get some actual data instead of ho crap info.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post

put up the link for us to sea
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

never mind
                      http://forums.floridasportsman.com/f...mbing-question
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

There are a LOT of "Hairballs" on that forum ... LOL

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/f...mbing-question

Comment

I stopped reading after the guy blamed it on a dip-tube.
                          I just see arrogance and ignorance coupled with money and more ignorance when I read their posts. No thanks son. I am pretty sure it's not good for me to bleed out of my eyes

Comment

Working...
                          X