Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eemax 2.5 gallon mini tank shorted out!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eemax 2.5 gallon mini tank shorted out!!!

Well I think I've seen my answer when I questioned whether or not the Eemax "EMT 2.5" mini tank heaters are any good. I received a call from the customer complaining that they no longer have hot water. When I get there the circuit breaker is fine, and the heater's light is on. I turn on the hot water.....it's cold.....and the unit is not drawing any amperage. I disconnect everything and open up the element panel. One of the wires is FRIED....ther terminal is melted. I take out the element and it is caked up with hard water deposits. The "brilliant" engineers placed the assembly on the bottom of the tank....and the pathetic excuse for an anode rod is located 1/2" away from the element.( A clob of lime was wedged between them) So it looks like this caused a short. The rep already told my Ferguson rep that water quality issues are not a valid cause for a warranty claim. I personally think that an extremely bad design leading to premature failure and a very dangerous situation(possible fire since the breaker DID NOT trip) is a valid reason! I'm calling the rep tomorrow and if they try to screw me then I will NEVER purchase another Eeemax product again. The BEST part....I installed this heater only 18 MONTHS ago!!!!! BUYER BEWARE!

Re: Eemax 2.5 gallon mini tank shorted out!!!

Small tanks just don't hold up with out some attention
    I have sm 2 gal AO smith out there i put in over 14 years ago it has a copper tank ,, every time the element burns out it starts to seep..
    I end up having to re solder the element flange back to the tank, change the element and its ready to go again .. I,ve done it 3 times

Comment

I stopped installing the emax line years ago as they are firebombs I can't find the pics but I remember them being posted around here somewhere...

Try out the "Stiebel Eltron" line, I have been using them for 2 years now and have been happy with them.

Comment

Pics like this?
        Attached Files

Comment

No, mine is not a tankless it has a 2.5 gallon tank. I'll post pics later today.

Comment

Working...
          X