X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frozen Backflow Preventer

We have been getting more and more frozen heat pipe calls the past few years. People using pellet and wood stoves dont turn up their thermostats so the water in the heat pipes isnt circulating and it freezes.

Comment

I have a condo that uses a boiler and baseboard radiant heaters. One of the lines for the baseboard heater runs near the patio doors. Which is all and well as long as the heat is on and the doors are closed. But what happens is when the first cold snap hits people crank up the heat instead of just setting it to the desired room temperature. Then it gets to hot so instead they turn it down to the desired temp and open the patio door. Thing is it is so hot in there and the thermostat is set to their desired temp, so there is no call for heat so no flow through the baseboard heaters. With the door open now the pipe that is running through the floor freezes up solid.

This year it has yet to happen, I think the people are reading the newsletter that gets sent out to them about only setting the thermostat to the desired setting and keeping the patio door closed.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        With the door open now the pipe that is running through the floor freezes up solid.
        This year it has yet to happen, I think the people are reading the newsletter that gets sent out to them about only setting the thermostat to the desired setting and keeping the patio door closed.
        Who pays if someone leaves the door open and a pipe freezes?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          Who pays if someone leaves the door open and a pipe freezes?
          The association hires me so they pay me. If they pass the bill back to the condo owner or not, I have no idea.

Comment

If you're noticing a drop in this type of behavior, I'll bet they are. Disincentives work. Ka-ching!

Comment

I like the watts 909. If it freezes only the check "lids" break. Not the assembly.

MUCH cheaper fix for the client.....

Comment

I like the 909 myself for other reasons. I can not stand the Watts 009 though. I cringe every time I see one. This was a Zurn/Wilkins 950XL double check valve assembly on the bypass detector assembly of fire sprinkler 4" double check valve.

Comment

Did you try to sell the guy some type of freeze alarm so this doesn't happen again?

Comment

They had an alarm on the overhead heater which was disabled some time ago, since they had a homelite space heater in there that was not working. I did have them call the electrician in to repair the overhead heater. Then I talked to the alarm guy that was drying out the alarm panel about a temperature alarm, and then he and I talked to the manager. They opted for him to add it to the alarm panel.

So they are all set, a proper heater working in the room a temperature alarm for the room, as well as a load alarm installed on the overhead heater.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      They had an alarm on the overhead heater which was disabled some time ago, since they had a homelite space heater in there that was not working. I did have them call the electrician in to repair the overhead heater. Then I talked to the alarm guy that was drying out the alarm panel about a temperature alarm, and then he and I talked to the manager. They opted for him to add it to the alarm panel.

So they are all set, a proper heater working in the room a temperature alarm for the room, as well as a load alarm installed on the overhead heater.
                      I've installed a few hardwired alarm systems.....I like DSC alarm panels. I plan to install some alarm panel relayed controls on my next home I build.

One feature I will have is when I arm my alarm in "away" mode it will turn the water off to all inside water and when you disarm it the water is turned back on. I buy my ice and use very little so ice maker will not be an issue.

Point being that alarm panels can almost do anything through relays....its alot of fun to me

You know how some alarm panels are connected to a land line only...well the installer can program the panel to monitor that phone line connection and if the connection is broken for a programmer specified time from 0-120 seconds...or whatever.. Most NEVER set the time at 0 because every time you lost your phone line the alarm would go into alarm....that would be annoying.
                      SO most installers,if they do it at all will set the specified time to around 1 minute.

The panel looks for voltage across the phoneline terminals in the panel....if voltage is detected then it thinks it has a phone line to report alarms.
                      If you wanted to trick the panel into thinking it has a valid phone line connection...its not hard to do. Its really easy to bypass alarms of you know how they work.

Good job addressing the issue!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X