X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Backflow Preventer

Got a call today from a restaurant asking me to hurry out there that they have a broken pipe in their mechanical room. I get there and I see water spraying from the bypass backflow preventer. Then I noticed the temperature in the room was around 40º F I talked to the owner and found out their heater went bad last year and they where using a space heater which no one plugged in this year.

They are sending out a electrician tomorrow to fix the room heater. I replaced the backflow preventer, and got them a new space heater to keep that room warm.

Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Frozen Backflow Preventer

Nice work!

Comment

We only had 2 real cold nights so far just barely below 20
      We had two fix 6 frozen spots in the cabin . It sits on 16ft stilts . i repiped
      it 6 years ago with the copper all exposed so its easy to get to and repair it just needed heat.
      I asked Her if she had the heat on ...she said after the fact ..

its a every year thing for her

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        it 6 years ago with the copper all exposed so its easy to get to and repair it just needed heat.

Have you considered using a freeze burst resistant pex? I've found it frozen solid in attics and it thawed out and is working fine today....incredible huh?

Is the cabin on a lake or a river? Why does the cabin have legs?

Comment

My daughter decided to take the valve apart, so we can get a better look at the split.

Attached Files

Comment

It's been 25 below zero here at night and not a single call for a frozen or burst pipe. It has to get down to about 40 to 60 below for consecutive days before that starts to happen. I do get a lot more water heater leakers this time of year though, must be the water temp change because our water is on the verge of freezing right out of the tap.

Comment

in all the years in business, i've only had 1 frozen/ broken pipe call rooftop swamp cooler line.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

When we get temps down in the teens we usually get busy as heck fixing frozen sprinkler pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  in all the years in business, i've only had 1 frozen/ broken pipe call rooftop swamp cooler line.

rick.
                  The smog inversion layer must be protecting you because we get frozen pipes out here.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

OK what the secret how the hell do you work in the snow and 20 below or do you hibernate through winter.

Tony

Comment

This cabin had the only frozen pipes of the season . It sits on the stilts because its right on a river .. It needs to be 17 ft on high water years , the air blows all around it , my guess is it gets cold real fast with out heat .. The Lp tank sits up on a stand too a little bit higher than the floor out back
                      This Lucky Women has so much hunting land & stuff to watch it just takes her a while to think about turning on the heat ..

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                        OK what the secret how the hell do you work in the snow and 20 below or do you hibernate through winter.

Tony
                        I like the cold, you can always dress warmer. But when its hot you can be naked and still be hot.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          I like the cold, you can always dress warmer. But when its hot you can be naked and still be hot.
                          I'm the opposite.
                          Gloves get in the way of articulate work.Heavy clothes slow a person down.Have to dig a 24" ditch instead of 18" to accomodate the extra layers.
                          I figure it's a location thing.One adapts to maximize efficiency in their surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            I'm the opposite.
                            Gloves get in the way of articulate work.Heavy clothes slow a person down.Have to dig a 24" ditch instead of 18" to accomodate the extra layers.
                            I figure it's a location thing.One adapts to maximize efficiency in their surroundings.
                            I don't wear gloves except while rodding, the extra layers consist of a long sleeve shirt over my t-shirt. and maybe two pairs of socks. Other than that the cold does not bother me much. I even take my motorcycle out for a ride when its -10º out. When digging the extra layers start to come off as I start to over heat, but our trenches are 24" or wider since the depth in most cases is 5'+ feet deep and I am a big guy .

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee I like been NAKED sweaty and hot

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X