Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All I want for Christmas is a kitchen sink drain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I want for Christmas is a kitchen sink drain.

This home is a home a contractor bought to rehab and sell. (A flip home). A plumber was in this house two years ago and roughed in a basement bathroom underground and did some underground plumbing modifications in the basement. No one had occupied the house since then, and there were no kitchen cabinets or sink.

This week I hooked up a kitchen sink drain stack in a basement to an existing 2" hub coming out of the floor. This hub was right below where the kitchen sink has always been.

Prior to my hooking up the sink drain I ran some water into the 2" hub to see if it the line was open. It was plugged. (Not uncommon in a house that sat empty for a year. The lines dry out and the residue becomes a blockage.)

So I ran a snake. I got 4' and then nothing. So I put a blow bag in and voila! Drain took water. I hooked up the kitchen sink stack. I filled the sink to the top and drained it. Drained fine. Ran lots of water to moisten the pipe residue.

I ran the snake again the next morning after I figured the water would have moistened the residue. I could still only go 4'. Not wanting a new homeowner to plug up the drain in a month and come back to me, I thought I would try the jetter to really scour the line. I got about 6' and then noticed water gushing out of the floor about 4' away.

I figure the pipe must have deteriorated. We bust up the floor and what do we find? You've heard of the bridge to nowhere in Alaska? This was the pipe to nowhere in Minnesota. Imagine how smelly the floor would have become in a month or so after it started being used...

We located a proper drain line and connected it.

I've included a pic of a section of pipe the inspector wanted removed which was a wash machine drain right next to the kitchen line. Dry and plugged solid. (This is what I thought I was fighting)

Unbelievable. A kitchen waste line to nowhere under a slab. The previous plumber must have been in a big hurry! I find I have better luck being thorough.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: All I want for Christmas is a kitchen sink drain.

I'm thinking that "plumber" had some contracts with the Wal Mart builds around here.

Mop sink? well... we'll just tie that into crushed stone. That counts right?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

It seems if that drain had been used for the kitchen sink even after two years the soil in that area would be gunked up bigtime considering the house was lived in prior to it being vaccant for two years. The soil should ahve been black and greasy. That soil doesn't look like years of K-sink drainge has been filtering through it.

Ah your thinking that the plumber two years ago disconnected it.....?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        It seems if that drain had been used for the kitchen sink even after two years the soil in that area would be gunked up bigtime considering the house was lived in prior to it being vaccant for two years. The soil should ahve been black and greasy. That soil doesn't look like years of K-sink drainge has been filtering through it.

Ah your thinking that the plumber two years ago disconnected it.....?
        Sorry for not being more clear. The house has been empty ever since the basement rough-in, and the kitchen upstairs was gutted. Whoever owned it started alot of different projects and didn't finish anything. Then lost the house in a foreclosure.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
        X