X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homeowner DIY Water Heater Repair

where is the regulator, at the appliance or outside?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      Its a 2lb gas system. There is probably 35 lbs on the street side of the meter regulator and 2lb on the house side. Each appliance gets its on reg also to reduce the pressure
      The plate says
      Max. press. 1/2 P.S.I. (incoming from meter)
      Reg. setting 4.0" (outgoing from valve)

Comment

Its a 2lb gas system. There is probably 35 lbs on the street side of the meter regulator and 2lb on the house side. Each appliance gets its on reg also to reduce the pressure
        Why a two pound system?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Marc, 2lb is pretty common around here. To compensate for increased load on undersized mains the gas Co. will jack up the street pressure and then reduce it at the meter to 2lbs and then we install another regulator at the appliance. But, I have only ever seen 2lbs within commercial buildings and then the lines all have to be labeled 2lb and the regulators have to be vented to the outside.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Marc, 2lb is pretty common around here. To compensate for increased load on undersized mains the gas Co. will jack up the street pressure and then reduce it at the meter to 2lbs and then we install another regulator at the appliance. But, I have only ever seen 2lbs within commercial buildings and then the lines all have to be labeled 2lb and the regulators have to be vented to the outside.
            Large commercial areas we have both 2 lb and 5 lb but never in a house.

On another note my guys were doing a sewer repair which ended up in the carport of a large complex. They had called Dig-Alert out who marked the Utilities. When they came to what looked like a tank they called me out to see what to do. It ended up being a 24" transmission line which could of had up to 1,500 lbs of compresses gas. Boy was I glad they were hand digging as Dig-Alert had no idea it was there.

Mark

Comment

Oh my.......

Yea, I have never seen 2lbs residential either. If I had my Nat gas code here I believe that it's against code to run anything that high for residential.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Oh my.......

Yea, I have never seen 2lbs residential either. If I had my Nat gas code here I believe that it's against code to run anything that high for residential.
                We have 2lb all over the place on residential here in Nunya.

J.C.

Comment

my buddy's an electrician.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The homes gas pressure is 2lb. We install regulators at each appliance to drop the pressure. Simple as that. I will take a pic of a few I have in stock and post in a few minutes. I've been installing it for about 20 years without issue. The city is FULL of 2lb residential systems.....i know of a few homes that have pressures that exceed 2lb but the lines are outside and under ground.....It feeds a HUGE generator at a mans house

This next pic is of a high quality compression fitting made in korea.
                    Last edited by TheMaster; 12-25-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

The homes gas pressure is 2lb. We install regulators at each appliance to drop the pressure. Simple as that. I will take a pic of a few I have in stock and post in a few minutes. I've been installing it for about 20 years without issue. The city is FULL of 2lb residential systems.....i know of a few homes that have pressures that exceed 2lb but the lines are outside and under ground.....It feeds a HUGE generator at a mans house

Wow just one more example of how different things are across the Country.

Mark

Comment

Mark
                        In northern Ca., PG&E will give residential customers medium pressure (2lbs) if their street lines have the capacity. We usually request 2 lbs. for long runs of yard piping (though we have run as large as 4" when the higher pressure wasn't available), trying to locate our regulators close to the points of use, but almost always outdoors. The Master mentioned that the regulator must be vented outdoors. So I thought until I ran across information on regulators that are ventless. Recently, we got burned by the regulator supplier because we didn't specify that the generator we were running gas to needed at least 10" wc of pressure. The spring they supplied on their regulator was for a range of 4"-8.5" water column. We were able to field install a spring that allowed for 8.5"-14" wc.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                          Mark
                          In northern Ca., PG&E will give residential customers medium pressure (2lbs) if their street lines have the capacity. We usually request 2 lbs. for long runs of yard piping (though we have run as large as 4" when the higher pressure wasn't available), trying to locate our regulators close to the points of use, but almost always outdoors. The Master mentioned that the regulator must be vented outdoors. So I thought until I ran across information on regulators that are ventless. Recently, we got burned by the regulator supplier because we didn't specify that the generator we were running gas to needed at least 10" wc of pressure. The spring they supplied on their regulator was for a range of 4"-8.5" water column. We were able to field install a spring that allowed for 8.5"-14" wc.
                          Those in the pic are ventless for most applications if allowable by code. We do not vent them in residential here. Actually they are not ventless...they have a vent limiting device installed.
                          Last edited by TheMaster; 12-25-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Same here.

J.C.

Comment

We also have dual systems here......the meter regulator reduces the pressure to 2lb for the customer side of the meter and then a secondary regulator is installed in the gas main for the home allowing for low pressure and no regulators at appliances. Then at the meter you connect before the secondary regulator for a high demand appliance and feed it seperate and reduce the pressure from 2lb to what ever the appliance calls for.

This saves alot of money and work when you need to add a generator to a home and you dont need to upgrade the entire system to 2lb.

Comment

We can get 2 psi on large multi-family projects during new construction only but there are a ton of requirements including ALL of the appliances need to be natural gas plus you need to stub out gas at the patios and the fireplaces.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X