Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homeowner DIY Water Heater Repair

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
    Mark
    In northern Ca., PG&E will give residential customers medium pressure (2lbs) if their street lines have the capacity. We usually request 2 lbs. for long runs of yard piping (though we have run as large as 4" when the higher pressure wasn't available), trying to locate our regulators close to the points of use, but almost always outdoors. The Master mentioned that the regulator must be vented outdoors. So I thought until I ran across information on regulators that are ventless. Recently, we got burned by the regulator supplier because we didn't specify that the generator we were running gas to needed at least 10" wc of pressure. The spring they supplied on their regulator was for a range of 4"-8.5" water column. We were able to field install a spring that allowed for 8.5"-14" wc.
    Thank-you teaching me that one earlier this year Plumbus.

10 Years ago I beat out a guy who told a customer he needed a couple hundred feet of 4" on the roof to accomodate distance and BTU's.A phone call to the City and gas co. And off to the races we went with 1-1/4".

One of the Highrise projects Utah is working on has 80-1/2" medium pressure steel services coming up from the parking garage as high as 23 floors.
    The regulator at the manifold in each individaul unit is vented to the outside atmosphere.As required throughout our area.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      We can get 2 psi on large multi-family projects during new construction only but there are a ton of requirements including ALL of the appliances need to be natural gas plus you need to stub out gas at the patios and the fireplaces.

Mark
      Here the gas company will set you a 2lb system for free if you need it.....if you dont theres a 150.00 charge(no one ever pays it). New homes get 2lb meters unless low pressure is requested.

Their definition of needing it is based on the BTU requirments of the appliances EXISTING OR SOON TO BE INSTALLED in the home. Basically the 150 fee is never charged unless the person just doesn't know better.....I can call anytime and get a 2lb system installed without question....homeowner may have to answer some questions but all they hafta do is mention "The power co" and the gas company will fall apart and start giving things away......I have had customers tell me that the gas company GAVE them a water heater because they threatened to convert to electric. The power and the gas company here will give you a water heater if you convert from one to another.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        All they hafta do is mention "The power co" and the gas company will fall apart and start giving things away......I have had customers tell me that the gas company GAVE them a water heater because they threatened to convert to electric. The power and the gas company here will give you a water heater if you convert from one to another.
        Connecticut Light and Power Company - Subsidiary of Northeast Utilities providing electric utility service to businesses and residences. www.cl-p.com/

Yankee Gas - Connecticut's largest natural gas distribution company a subsidiary of Northeast Utilities. www.yankeegas.com/

I guess we're just screwed here...
        Last edited by Redwood; 12-25-2010, 08:31 PM.
        411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I have never run across a ventless 2lb regulator but I see that they are available. It is interesting how different parts of the country handle things.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
            Connecticut Light and Power Company - Subsidiary of Northeast Utilities providing electric utility service to businesses and residences. www.cl-p.com/

Yankee Gas - Connecticut's largest natural gas distribution company a subsidiary of Northeast Utilities. www.yankeegas.com/

I guess we're just screwed here...
            Competition is a great thing for the consumer. My power bill last month was 145.00 and I'm total electric.

Comment

Anyone know what these are for?

Comment

Orifice drill
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
                  my buddy's an electrician.
                  He has a very skilled hand with the solder torch. He should change trades....

...and become a garbage collector as he is surely producing enough of it.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

This next pic is of a high quality compression fitting made in korea.
                    Those look like flat out copies of either Parker or Swagelok double ferrule fittings, which they both claim are not compatible by the way so you shouldn't mix parts and expect them to cover warranty claims.

Gotta love those copy cat industries in China and elsewhere around the globe, and let us not forget those who support them by buying their products of course. We (America companies) do the R&D and they rake in the profits, it's all part of the new globally-oriented economy.

Maybe the patent has run out by now and they can produce them legally, but I would not use them and where I work we are not allowed to use them, we use ONLY Swagelok so as to avoid any compatibility issues with Parker fittings. Anything that comes in from a supplier is spec'd to have Swagelok and if it does not have Swagelok we swap out all fittings for Swagelok before it gets installed in the field.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Thank-you teaching me that one earlier this year Plumbus.

10 Years ago I beat out a guy who told a customer he needed a couple hundred feet of 4" on the roof to accomodate distance and BTU's.A phone call to the City and gas co. And off to the races we went with 1-1/4".

One of the Highrise projects Utah is working on has 80-1/2" medium pressure steel services coming up from the parking garage as high as 23 floors.
                      The regulator at the manifold in each individaul unit is vented to the outside atmosphere.As required throughout our area.

Here is an example of one of the 2 lb manifolds in the 23-story unit Adam and I are working on.

Mark
                      Attached Files
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Those look like flat out copies of either Parker or Swagelok double ferrule fittings, which they both claim are not compatible by the way so you shouldn't mix parts and expect them to cover warranty claims.

Gotta love those copy cat industries in China and elsewhere around the globe, and let us not forget those who support them by buying their products of course. We (America companies) do the R&D and they rake in the profits, it's all part of the new globally-oriented economy.

Maybe the patent has run out by now and they can produce them legally, but I would not use them and where I work we are not allowed to use them, we use ONLY Swagelok so as to avoid any compatibility issues with Parker fittings. Anything that comes in from a supplier is spec'd to have Swagelok and if it does not have Swagelok we swap out all fittings for Swagelok before it gets installed in the field.
                        The fitting I posted is comparable in quality to Parker. Much better than the typical compression coupling at a plumbing supply.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Orifice drill
                          Bingo Thats an old set

Comment

Is that set supposed to be rare? Every one of our vans has a set of them along with pilot and main orifice blanks, gas valve springs ect.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Is that set supposed to be rare? Every one of our vans has a set of them along with pilot and main orifice blanks, gas valve springs ect.
                              Oh no I wouldn't think that set is rare but I an tell you tht I have not had a use them in in a while. I could imagine that some guys have never used any.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Swagelok has been in Japan since the early 70's and elsewhere around the globe. Swagelok has locations in 57 countries on 6 continents...including Korea. So it appears that Swagelok moved into foreign countries seeking foreign revenue almost 40 years ago. WOW is all I can say.

Comment

Working...
                                X