X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PEX Vs RAT

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
    20 gauge p-traps aren't legal here and wouldn't pass inspection. If I were made to install 20 gauge I would make certain the deficiency was noticed by the inspector.

However, the rest of your argument has merit.
    Here a licensed engineer can spec 20 ga traps and the inspector cant do a thing but smile and pass it. Are you sure an engineer cant spec a 20 ga trap and it be legal in your location?

Comment

I stated lastnight that i had some pex to run in an attic to bypass some old copper. I sent another man to go look the job over this morning and he informs me that another company repaired the copper last year in the kitchen floor....why?? I tell ya why. Insurance paid for it.

I'm going to bypass through the attic like the 1st guy should have done and solve this mans problem for NOW. He will still have old copper under the slab..but guess what. He doesn't have enough money to replace it all......i called and gave him a price of 1500.00 give or take a few hundred to bypass the line through the attic...

He didn't even want a price on copper. He laughed and said he didn't want to give anyone a reason to beak in his house He was joking but wasn't even wanting to hear a price on copper.....lol

Comment

There is way too much talk here about the validity of different materials. The materials do not make the plumber it is what you do with the material that makes the plumber.

PEX has been used in Europe since the 60s and in the United States since the 80s. From what I have seen, most failures in PEX have been fitting or ring related. Those fittings are made from the same materials other plumbing components we use every day are made from.

As far as wiping joints, I wipe all of my soldered joints. Does that make a better joint? I don't know but I do know it makes me feel better when I stand back and look at it. I hate walking on to a job where the fittings were never wiped and there is excessive flux all over the place.

I work in multiple States and have seen a ton of different conditions which have dictated what materials should and should not be uses. Anyone who states their way is the only way needs to do more research.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Interesting discussion. Reading the first post, I never would have thought it would have developed as it has.

By playing the devil's advocate, TM has elicited quite a few statements of professional pride from this forum, which were music to my ears.

On a day to day basis, I agree with Rick. For every application there is a most appropriate product or technique.

The comments on pex's short and thus untested domestic lifespan are, in our litigious society, worthy of consideration.

I'm concerned when the technological push is not for higher quality products, but for products that are cheaper to manufacture or install.
          The phrase, "The times they are a-changin'" is as pertinent now as it was when Bob Dylan used it as the title of his song. But, is change progress or entropy?

As for monkeys capable of technical proficiency, it seems to me that the desire to employ low/no skilled immigrants at starvation wages is the domestic equivalent of off shoring. It smacks of greed and is to the detriment of not just the plumbing trade, but society as a whole.

The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water.
          John W. Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            And I sit back with a self satisfied look of smugness upon my face and the word " I told you so " perched on my lips
            Geee wiz Wally, if only he'd a treated his well water he would have saved the re-pipe money and the rat hole problem. How's that for "real"

No matter what he had for pipe, the rat problem is a totally different issue. However, at least he would only have to pay the exterminator instead of having to pay the exterminator and a plumber.

On a different tack. You boys keeping warm down there? Ma sister says it's been damn cold down there lately. Was thinking of heading down for the holidays, but if it's gonna be cold and crappy, I might as well stay put. Cold and crappy we have plenty of
            Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
            What do you all expect?

It's lazy mans pipe.

No skill.

Lazy man pipe.
            Everything was on topic until the members above started getting things off topic and calling names.

True or false? i get tired of being accused of "making" people post...especially on a thread i started in the 1st place.

Go back to post # 1 and start reading.....by post 25 the users above had started in with their bigoted ways.

Comment

TM, problem is that you post and then expect everyone to jump in and tell you what a hero you are. Fortunately, there are still quite a few plumbers in this world that are not willing to lower their standards. If calling you Wally is an insult then I apologize. I also fully realize that guys like me are fighting an uphill battle. I also realize that many of you either have to go with the flow or change vocations. I am fortunate that my business is well enough established and versified that I do not have to use anything that I am not comfortable with, and when you get down to brass tacks that is my exact stance. "I am not comfortable installing pex" and I don't have to. I know that pisses you off because apparently you do not have that luxury. I / we are never, ever in too much of a hurry to get the job done. Time is not a factor. IMO PEX looks like tinker toy crap no matter how much pride you take in pounding thousands of plastic staples in to hang it. When the hot water hits it, it looks like somebody threw pasta on the damn floor. Maybe I just grew up in a different time when how good something looks means something.
              sigpic

Comment

TM, problem is that you post and then expect everyone to jump in and tell you what a hero you are. Fortunately, there are still quite a few plumbers in this world that are not willing to lower their standards. If calling you Wally is an insult then I apologize. I also fully realize that guys like me are fighting an uphill battle. I also realize that many of you either have to go with the flow or change vocations. I am fortunate that my business is well enough established and versified that I do not have to use anything that I am not comfortable with, and when you get down to brass tacks that is my exact stance. "I am not comfortable installing pex" and I don't have to. I know that pisses you off because apparently you do not have that luxury. I / we are never, ever in too much of a hurry to get the job done. Time is not a factor. IMO PEX looks like tinker toy crap no matter how much pride you take in pounding thousands of plastic staples in to hang it. When the hot water hits it, it looks like somebody threw pasta on the damn floor. Maybe I just grew up in a different time when how good something looks means something.
                But you see you do use pex...just not for potable water. It doesn't piss me off that I use pex....I think its a fine material for certain jobs. Simple as that. I use copper too.....I'm a plumber and those are approved and are common to my area.

A hero for what? I just posted a pic of a pex pipe that a rat chewed up. Isn't that going to the extreme? DO you think your the guy in your avatar because you dont use pex for potable water? lol
                Last edited by TheMaster; 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

TM, the IPC says that you can vent a sewage ejector pump/tank using a AAV. It is "approved" are you gonna do it?

There's tons of "approved" crap out there. It's up to us to make the right choices
                  sigpic

Comment

TM, the IPC says that you can vent a sewage ejector pump/tank using a AAV. It is "approved" are you gonna do it?

There's tons of "approved" crap out there. It's up to us to make the right choices
                    Its not approved in my location.

Comment

Betcha it is. Code says that if the design is "engineered" than it is accepted and since the Studor company has an engineered design on their web site, ergo it is accepted.
                      sigpic

Comment

IM PROUD TO SAY I NEVER BOUGHT A PIECE OF PEX

I can remeber the last miracle pipe ..
                        I had a grandfathered in plumber tell me you don't even need a tape measure you just roll it out and cut it. He could plumb the whole house in a day
                        He couldn't read so i think it worked out well for him

Comment

Betcha it is. Code says that if the design is "engineered" than it is accepted and since the Studor company has an engineered design on their web site, ergo it is accepted.
                          We come out of the ejector and run a vent. If the tank is located outside we can come out of the top with a 180 bend. Simple as that. No mechanical vents allowed. You might could add a mechanical but not instead of an open air vent.. lol

Comment

I don't want to go get my codebook.

Pretty sure IPC used to say that a 2" vent had to run independently for an ejector pump through the roof. Could not connect to the buildings plumbing vent system.

J.C.

Comment

Loaned my 09 to a coworker, but that's what the 06 said.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Pretty sure IPC used to say that a 2" vent had to run independently for an ejector pump through the roof. Could not connect to the buildings plumbing vent system.

J.C.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                                I believe what NHMaster is saying is because Studor has an "Engineered" drawing of the installation you can do it. I tend to believe a drawing on a web site with no job specific information would be considered an Engineered drawing for that job.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X