X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PEX Vs RAT

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    glad to see i'm a bystander in this one
    I'm with ya, but I haven't reach the end of the thread yet...still reading.

Comment

Lets get this straight. First of all anyone that uses rat poison deserves to get their plumbing chewed. Why would you choose poison? So the rat can consume it, and then go somewhere hidden in a wall or a duct and die. You will be enjoying that smell for a while. What is wrong with a rat trap? And not the humane ones that keep the rat alive so you can free him back to the wilderness, only to have him return right back to your house. We want the traps with the spring that actually kills the rat.
      Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 12-22-2010, 11:43 PM.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Dunbar how many homes have you actually repiped through the attic with copper?

I dont see why all these people think soldering copper is some amazing skill. I think some plumbers like to broadcast the image that plumbing requires a high aptitude.......when it really doesn't.

Straight up idiots can do plumbing if they are willing to work. Simple as that. That includes running copper and cast iron. Its muscle memory after a while,repetitive monkey work.
        The most ridiculous thing I've read on this forum, and I'm saying that respectfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          The most ridiculous thing I've read on this forum, and I'm saying that respectfully.
          I expected negative feedback but your entitled to that but your not entitled to your own facts and the facts are there are some very uneducated people who have passed plumbing exams and are currently working in the trade and do great work. They just are not very smart. And I'm saying that respectfully.
          Last edited by TheMaster; 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Now the Monkeys
            will be calling the A.C.L.U. !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Finally reached the end.

I prefer copper over Pex, but use both.

If a customer wants Pex, I'll give my opinion on it, but I'm not going to get into an argument over it with the customer. I'll give them a price both ways if they want it. But I'm not going to lose a customer I've had for 20 years, because I refuse to install Pex, because it's a lazy mans pipe. The bottom line is...the customer is always right.

I have yet to see Pex fail in my area yet, but then again I haven't been in every single home that has it installed.

We have some area's in where the well water has a very high acid content. If the customer isn't going to spend the money on an acid neutralizer to correct the problem, it's Pex or CPVC for them. I can't wave my magic wand and make the problem go away by itself...choices have to be made.

Personally...I wish Pex-CPVC- Gastite never came to the market. But with that said...it now has it's place in the industry whether we like it or not. I'm all for protecting the Plumbing trade and using the materials that have been around since the beginning of time. But like JC always says, "the lights have to stay on, and food needs to be put on the table".

Studors are legal to use in my area.

Comment

About to go run some pex through an attic in a 50 year old home. Perfect job for the use of pex. Freeze burst resistant and some flex.

Have a wonderful day.

Comment

It always amazes me when people point out that pex is freeze burst resistant. I thought all plumbing codes have a line in them that the piping should be installed where they can not freeze. But if you have to install in in a way where it can freeze then you must provide some sort of freeze protection with insulation and or heat tape.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    It always amazes me when people point out that pex is freeze burst resistant. I thought all plumbing codes have a line in them that the piping should be installed where they can not freeze. But if you have to install in in a way where it can freeze then you must provide some sort of freeze protection with insulation and or heat tape.
                    It should be.....but its nice that its freeze burst resistant. Freeze protection measures are not 100% and it only takes once to ruin a copper system. An example of freeze protection measures failing is the post you made a few days ago with the bursted check valve.

Comment

Now factor in how many frozen pipe calls there are and you have your answer. It is also an enormous cost savings to not have to address as many freeze-proof methods.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

So how do you thaw frozen pex?

Only time I ever ran into frozen pipe calls is when a home owner does their own plumbing and does not install the piping in a proper way. Or they modified something in their home to create a cold draft in the plumbing wall. And of course when they have no heat. Other than the three main reasons I just posted, the only time I see a rush of frozen lines where the plumbing is installed properly, there where no drafts, and they have heat, is when we reach -30º F temps for more than a week.

Also on most freeze ups I run into it is very rare for the pipes to be burst. I notice the burst factor happens when the line has been frozen for more than a few days.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        Ron's Facebook
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Now factor in how many frozen pipe calls there are and you have your answer. It is also an enormous cost savings to not have to address as many freeze-proof methods.

Mark
                          Our frost line is 2" deep. We dont worry about a pipe freezing in the ground. I've found pipes in attics(copper) with 3" of commercial fiberglass insulation on them that have frozen when the building had no heat.

Its best to insulate the pex and then have the homeowner blow in more insulation into the attic and typically they need more insulation anyway. With the heat on and the pipe under the insulation theres not much to worry about.

What concerns me most is not the freezing....its the cold lines getting HOT in the attic. I have had customers that had to install more insulation and install more attic ventilation so the could get COLD water.

When I'm running copper in the attic or in a crawlspace i turn the power off to the home now....it can be deadly dangerous.

Comment

Finally reached the end.
                            No...
                            No you haven't,this horse is still not frozen.

And even then...

It will never end.
                            This is the whole essence of our being.
                            We must never let it die,yet we die

Comment

Only time I ever ran into frozen pipe calls is when a home owner does their own plumbing and does not install the piping in a proper way. Or they modified something in their home to create a cold draft in the plumbing wall. And of course when they have no heat. Other than the three main reasons I just posted, the only time I see a rush of frozen lines where the plumbing is installed properly, there where no drafts, and they have heat, is when we reach -30º F temps for more than a week.

Also on most freeze ups I run into it is very rare for the pipes to be burst. I notice the burst factor happens when the line has been frozen for more than a few days.
                              It just doesn't get cold enough here to burst pipes inside a home with the heat on here....even in the attic exposed.

Comment

There are a lot of times where the protection is based in part on the home itself not reaching freezing. However, with all of these repos right now the Banks are running around trying to winterize the homes to prevent damages. You also have to remember anytime you use stuff like heat-trace tape it can fail.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X