X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PEX Vs RAT

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    Ok so solder that drips down the pipe reduces the repairability of the system......ok now I will act like a customer. "Why would my system need repairing?"

I can tell you that laying on my back at 2:30 in the morning with it 20 degrees outside repairing copper water pipes under houses in the garden disctrict of new orleans after working round the clock in 20 somthing hour shifts.....No I could give a F less about a wiped solder joint and neither did the people who lived in the houses....they wanted water. freeze leaks for weeks.
    It takes a mere second to wipe a joint. What's the big deal?
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      I thought the same way as you do and continued to use copper as all my plumbing mates were changing to pex and buiders were demanding that I use it as well so around ten years ago I bit the bullet and started with Rehue and with other pex piping systems and eventually you will be forced into useing it as money rules

Tony

FFS dude, it's Rehau,

you've been using the pipe over 10 years and can't F-ing spell it? It's striped on the pipe over the 1000's of feet you've had your hands on.

You're statement basicially states,

"I SOLD OUT" "I WANT TO WORK, I'M FOLLOWING THE HERD, AND I SOLD OUT TO KEEP THE MONEY COMING IN."

Nothing forced my hand when Polybutylene and Blue Max came around. It was product choice, I chose no because I got a pair between my legs in this plumbing profession.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
        Did you buy your logic at big lots? Wages have been dropping on new construction plumbers every single time a cheaper faster quicker product has entered the market. It hasn't been more because there's less skill that associates with the simplicity of the piping systems involving water distribution systems.

Customer wants a product that stands the test of time, and this thread proves that your water line has holes in it. Does it not? That pipe doesn't even look 3 years old. I bet that wouldn't of happened with metallic piping.

The art, which I believe in and you don't, is the joining or fabricating of piping systems that take multiple steps, which copper is known for and has stumped the majority in how to properly do over the last 30-60 years.

I don't care if you know how to solder or crimp a hose clamp and call it a water line.

I care about my profession, not about the cheap lazy mans pipe you run and profit from. It lays on your conscious, not mine.

I've walked through the shadows of polybutylene, Bluemax, Kitec, Quest and a few others with short lifes to believe you and anyone else hopping the fast and easy bandwagon is your problem, not mine.

I'll be the one who profits from the mistakes that keep being made, trusting these systems not holding up to the test of time. First picture of the thread. A brand new pipe that didn't last.

It's not the fault of copper that your local water purveyors are juicing the water to self destroy the water lines you now replace.

I don't have to be on any proving grounds when I put good products in my hands.

I've got you on the defensive now, and you're holding a roll of pipe that's known for unskilled workmanship.

Dunbar Plumbing does not perform work practices such as these and will refuse any work relating to the idea.

We're just that damn good and my customers trust my background knowledge, knowing the other plastic water line systems have been constantly failing over the years.

But threads like these are great, and subpoenas and the information highway allows the brisk hands of a lawyer to seek and find and legally summon anyone to court that has used any products that have later turned out to be defective.

When that time comes for PEX, the wide world of the internet will definitely know one plumber in Kentucky didn't buy the bullshit of the "fast and easy, all I wanna make is money" attitude.

That's just how I roll...
        I heard lately your rolling BROKE and I heard it from you so dont act surprised it came up. Maybe because you have been picking and choosing and the picking and choosing is getting slim.

I adapt to my situation. I use the best material for the price my customer can or wants to afford. Its all done to current codes. One day if you get off the high horse you could make some money in plumbing and forget the bench and fan business.
        I make a good living from plumbing and jsut think I dont even have a website or a youtube video...who would have figured that possible? I spend 150.00 a month for an ad in the yellow pages.........I must be doing somthing right wouldn't you say? But I forgot who I'm talking to...the marketing guru himself.

Comment

Okay everyone, let's take it down a notch. It is okay to disagree, it is not okay to be disrespectful.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I don't know, I'm down over $400,000 from what I billed in 2008 and I'm still here. Remember PEX was not legal in California until just recently so it will take a while for people to get use to it.

When flex supplies first came out I would not let my guys use them. When we did repipes we did not use compression stops because I wanted brass drop ears, brass nipples and stops. I'm sure I lost some jobs because of it but at the same time I got some jobs because I told them I was using a better material. I've never let the customer dictate the quality of my work.

Mark
            Once you obtain a certain amount of wealth your afforded the luxury to be picky about how you make your cheese. I will not do things today I would do 25 years ago and it all is about money.

You have never installed a POS faucet for a customer who wanted it? If you have then they are dictating the job.

Most commercial jobs the materials are spec'd out and you dont have a choice....what if you dont agree about a portion of it....do you pull out of the bid because you dont like they wanted 20 ga p traps instead of 17?
            Last edited by TheMaster; 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Ok so solder that drips down the pipe reduces the repairability of the system......ok now I will act like a customer. "Why would my system need repairing?"

I can tell you that laying on my back at 2:30 in the morning with it 20 degrees outside repairing copper water pipes under houses in the garden disctrict of new orleans after working round the clock in 20 somthing hour shifts.....No I could give a F less about a wiped solder joint and neither did the people who lived in the houses....they wanted water. freeze leaks for weeks.
              All systems are subject to repair or alteration at some time.

I've had customers that stated to me "I don't know or can't remember who installed the copper in this house, but I think they did a sloppy job. Look at all of those solder drips...."

Or they knew who did it and won't call them back so that's why I'm there.

No reason not to flick a joint or wipe it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                All systems are subject to repair or alteration at some time.

I've had customers that stated to me "I don't know or can't remember who installed the copper in this house, but I think they did a sloppy job. Look at all of those solder drips...."

Or they knew who did it and won't call them back so that's why I'm there.

No reason not to flick a joint or wipe it.

J.C.
                Could you fail an inspection for it...have you ever heard of a plumber failing an inspection for unwiped solder joints? Would that be considered poor workmanship per code? mark...help please!!!

Comment

Could you fail an inspection for it...have you ever heard of a plumber failing an inspection for unwiped solder joints? Would that be considered poor workmanship per code? mark...help please!!!
                  No. Absolutely not. Remember that all codes are the required minimum though.

Don't want to make any extra effort whatsoever, then don't. It's a consumers choice. Some don't care. Others do and call me when another plumber has been there that doesn't make any detailed effort above the minimum.

J.C.

Comment

Once you obtain a certain amount of wealth your afforded the luxury to be picky about how you make your cheese. I will not do things today I would do 25 years ago and it all is about money.

You have never installed a POS faucet for a customer who wanted it? If you have then they are dictating the job.
                    Yes but I have been picky for 40-years. My first shop was EL Payne in Beverly Hills. They were founded in 1914 and taught me it was easier to do it right than do it twice. I set certain standards for myself early on and it set me apart from others.

I have a project I am doing right now that has a multi-million dollar penthouse. The plumber doing the TI has high standards as well and will not sell himself out. What a surprise to find out the plumber was Adam (drtyhands). We all want to make money but it is like what I use to tell my guys, the next time this wall is opened your signature is all over the plumbing.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Did you buy your logic at big lots?

But threads like these are great, and subpoenas and the information highway allows the brisk hands of a lawyer to seek and find and legally summon anyone to court that has used any products that have later turned out to be defective.

Buy my logic at big lots? And then you type the paragraph above........Thats bizzare to me. Goodluck to a lawyer that tries to get me in court over the type pipe I used from a post i made on the internet..... Thats insane bro.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Yes but I have been picky for 40-years. My first shop was EL Payne in Beverly Hills. They were founded in 1914 and taught me it was easier to do it right than do it twice. I set certain standards for myself early on and it set me apart from others.

I have a project I am doing right now that has a multi-million dollar penthouse. The plumber doing the TI has high standards as well and will not sell himself out. What a surprise to find out the plumber was Adam (drtyhands). We all want to make money but it is like what I use to tell my guys, the next time this wall is opened your signature is all over the plumbing.

Mark
                        I'm talking about repiping houses that cost in the 60-200,000 range. Now do you see why its pex and not copper?

Comment

I heard lately your rolling BROKE and I heard it from you so dont act surprised it came up. Maybe because you have been picking and choosing and the picking and choosing is getting slim.

I adapt to my situation. I use the best material for the price my customer can or wants to afford. Its all done to current codes. One day if you get off the high horse you could make some money in plumbing and forget the bench and fan business.
                          I make a good living from plumbing and jsut think I dont even have a website or a youtube video...who would have figured that possible? I spend 150.00 a month for an ad in the yellow pages.........I must be doing somthing right wouldn't you say? But I forgot who I'm talking to...the marketing guru himself.

If you wasn't banned from the site I've been speaking about my current situation, you'd have more insight. But I'm broke and working. Big difference than what you're implying.

And again,

you're defensive and striking out against me personally, only because I'm telling you the pipe in your hands is lazy mans pipe.

You're speaking for customers saying they don't care about workmanship, and that's the #1 reason why plumbers trash homes by putting in the cheapest products, because it's about the now, not the later.

I won't put a product in that I know has a history, and I don't want to be named in a lawsuit. No PEX piping has a 40 year history.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Buy my logic at big lots? And then you type the paragraph above........Thats bizzare to me. Goodluck to a lawyer that tries to get me in court over the type pipe I used from a post i made on the internet..... Thats insane bro.
                            I don't know if I would be so quick to convince yourself of that.
                            Your posts show your intentions and mindset.

You don't actually think this stuff is unnavailable and unused.

Comment

If you wasn't banned from the site I've been speaking about my current situation, you'd have more insight. But I'm broke and working. Big difference than what you're implying.

And again,

you're defensive and striking out against me personally, only because I'm telling you the pipe in your hands is lazy mans pipe.

You're speaking for customers saying they don't care about workmanship, and that's the #1 reason why plumbers trash homes by putting in the cheapest products, because it's about the now, not the later.

I won't put a product in that I know has a history, and I don't want to be named in a lawsuit. No PEX piping has a 40 year history.
                              I assure you its nothing personal. Your making the attack by calling one lazy who uses pex. Did you not. But who the FK cares...I know I'm right and I'm not the one broke and cant decide what to do with his life.

Sure is funny I installed miles of poly.....never was sued not once. I even installed some durapex that leaked.......I didn't get sued. I guess i'm lucky or maybe I know how to have a contract written dunbar. Look man your all over the place....relax. Focus on one thing and take it to the next level. Goodluck to you and your 10 business ventures.

Comment

Low First Cost Mistaken Economy

This is out of a old code book I have. I believe this applies to anyone that makes the statement that they will give a guy cheap if they want cheap.

Low First Cost Mistaken Economy
                                A second class plumbing and drainage system in cost will prove itself a second class system in service. A year or so in service will reveal the inefficiency of the fixture, device or construction. Discomfort, inconvenience, cost of repairs, foul odors, insanitary and unhealthful conditions are the resulting penalties which the unfortunate occupant must pay.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X