X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PEX & CPVC vs Copper vs Sharkbite Debate

There seems to be some heated opinions here because of things like Sharkbite fittings,PEX and CPVC vs copper etc. I know some folks think the industry is being "dumbed down", and pex and Sharkbite fittings are inferior to more traditional materials. I've heard pros and cons here for PEX and CPVC vs copper.

I'm just trying to figure out the basis for these opinions. Is it that the newer pipe and fittings are truly inferior in a majority of applications, or is it because they take less skill and are quicker to install, which can lead to shade tree plumbers who think the new materials qualify them to be Gods gift to plumbing?? I'm sure the Sharkbite fittings take away some service calls, but looking at things from the other side, I'm sure the home owner appreciates the savings. I know I did the couple of times Ive used them.

Im not trying to come across as a smart alec, but I'm not a plumber, so the only above mentioned materials I have experience with is a fair amount of CPVC at work, and the sharkbites I bummed from my neighbor to fix a leak in my home.
    Last edited by bml; 12-21-2010, 10:37 PM.

Re: The PEX & CPVC vs Copper vs Sharkbite Debate

A homeowner that uses sharkbites, cpvc, or pex most of the times does not save on a service call. Most times they just end of paying more for a major repair after what they thought they fixed is flooding there home.

I'd prefer copper, cause it protects my trade. I mind pex if you install it right(I use only uponor), and I have had good results with it. I wouldn't ever use CPVC in a home unless it was all ready there and I'm making a repair on it. That being said I know a plumber that has been using it in apartments since the mid 80's and he says he has never had a problem. This guys does a large scale apartment every year or so in Texas so he has put in miles of it. I just don't trust it.

Sharkbites? I think they are a temporary fix and would never use them.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

All of my rentals are all copper, I just get a weird feeling thinking about the possibilities of the plastic piping, connectors, etc. A good copper job has always served me well. It costs more, but when done right is one thing I don't have to worry about down the road. Also, it shows that the building was updated with some thought and care put into it.

Comment

I'm going to venture out and say, that it's more of a pride issue when it comes to Plumbers using these products.

Plus if a Plumber takes his time doing water lines, it looks much more pleasing to the eye in copper, then red& blue pex lines running all over the place. However, if a water system has a high acid content, and the customer doesn't want an acid neutralizer, then Pex and CPVC makes sense.

I've seen shark bites through out a potable water system, and it really looks shoe-makerish.

But because of these products, we are forced to carry these things on our trucks.

Personally, I think it is dumbing down the trade. Plumbing used to be an exclusive trade to get into. But because of these products, you will get a homeowner who "thinks" they know Plumbing better than us.

Comment

Water distribution has been solid metal.

Now it consists of O-Rings and plastic products.

Water pipe expands and contracts.

I have witnessed plastic becoming brittle and snapping.

I know O-Rings have a pliability lifespan.I do not know how much from manufacture to manufacture or when they will be changing which Asian country they are buying from.

As far as skill.
          All people want is the Sh!t done so they can go back outside to play.Who cares about later.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
            A homeowner that uses sharkbites, cpvc, or pex most of the times does not save on a service call. Most times they just end of paying more for a major repair after what they thought they fixed is flooding there home......

.........Sharkbites? I think they are a temporary fix and would never use them.

Have you experienced a lot of leaks, or joint separations with Sharkbites??

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              I've seen shark bites through out a potable water system, and it really looks shoe-makerish.

That I just cant see. A repair, maybe, but not a whole dang house. Wouldn't the high price of those fittings offset the savings on plastic pipe and labor??

Personally, I think it is dumbing down the trade. Plumbing used to be an exclusive trade to get into. But because of these products, you will get a homeowner who "thinks" they know Plumbing better than us.

Just because something simpler is invented, doesn't mean that it necessarily a bad thing, or that it automatically dumbs down a particular trade. In some cases, I would think it may actually generate more work by bringing the cost into a range that more folks can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
                Just because something simpler is invented, doesn't mean that it necessarily a bad thing, or that it automatically dumbs down a particular trade. In some cases, I would think it may actually generate more work by bringing the cost into a range that more folks can afford.
                Thats what Pvc DWV did. It opened up more people to replacing old cast/lead and adding baths.

Comment

None of the products listed are inferior. They are all code approved and therefore are of the highest quality available and can be installed anywhere with complete confidence. As plumbers and professionals we should openly embrace all new approved materials and methods so that we can be sure to offer our customers the utmost in reliability and lower cost, thereby giving us more time to either do more jobs or go fishing. Thanks to Studor vents and Kozy Collars, no one ever need risk life and limb climbing on a roof to install a vent ever again. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of sharkbite fittings for DWV.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    None of the products listed are inferior. They are all code approved and therefore are of the highest quality available and can be installed anywhere with complete confidence. As plumbers and professionals we should openly embrace all new approved materials and methods so that we can be sure to offer our customers the utmost in reliability and lower cost, thereby giving us more time to either do more jobs or go fishing. Thanks to Studor vents and Kozy Collars, no one ever need risk life and limb climbing on a roof to install a vent ever again. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of sharkbite fittings for DWV.
                    I'm looking for that to come too. Someone's trying to figure out how to get the cost down to do it.

J.C.

Comment

I get giddy just awaiting the day when I no longer need any tools or skills at all and everything just snaps together or pushes together.
                      sigpic

Comment

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of sharkbite fittings for DWV.

If such a fitting is invented, and it works properly and provides a reliable product, then why not??

Comment

I get giddy just awaiting the day when I no longer need any tools or skills at all and everything just snaps together or pushes together.
                          Like an ERTL model.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
                            If such a fitting is invented, and it works properly and provides a reliable product, then why not??

Indeed.....why not?
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X