Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters # 1 and #2

Which do you prefer for gas piping ?
    Galvanized iron, black iron, ward flex ?
    $500 or you're both out at the next block!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Masters # 1 and #2

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Which do you prefer for gas piping ?
    Galvanized iron, black iron, ward flex ?
    $500 or you're both out at the next block!
    Do I hafta chose between the 3? I like copper personally. Brazed or flared type L

I can run anything with success. I'm successful.

I run plastic all the time underground....and so does my gas supplier to convey gas all over the city. No lightning problems.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 12-22-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Hey tool the first pipe I ever threaded on a job was 2" galvi pipe. I had to stand on a stool and jump down with the rachet dies to turn them. Sounds like fun eh? Dont dare say your tired.....or they would make me work even later. Most would have quit the trade and later in life i found out that was the objective of one of my uncles.

He didn't like to see a 15 year old kid be able to do what it took him years to perfect.....and I waltz in and I'm doin it as good or better than him after a couple years. Its a threat to some people....I call it my gift.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Hey tool the first pipe I ever threaded on a job was 2" galvi pipe. I had to stand on a stool and jump down with the rachet dies to turn them. Sounds like fun eh? Dont dare say your tired.....or they would make me work even later. Most would have quit the trade and later in life i found out that was the objective of one of my uncles.

He didn't like to see a 15 year old kid be able to do what it took him years to perfect.....and I waltz in and I'm doin it as good or better than him after a couple years. Its a threat to some people....I call it my gift.
        2" BY HAND ! Child abuse ,today. 1958 I'm 15 and digging ditches for Tony Graziano ! $1.00 an hour in Mass. I'm still making the same money!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          2" BY HAND ! Child abuse ,today. 1958 I'm 15 and digging ditches for Tony Graziano ! $1.00 an hour in Mass. I'm still making the same money!
          If I could go back I'd do the same thing over again. The more B.S they fed me the better I performed.

Same uncle would load up the backhoe...we would drive out to the job. Then he would tell me to dig it up with a shovel....To dig a 4x4x5' hole was just another afternoon. No big deal..Most kids now days are too good to work.

Comment

I prefer black iron.

Comment

Typically you see copper and steel here. Most all homes are either 2lb gas systems or are being converted to 2lb systems with the addition of standby generators and tankless water heaters.

Lightning is an issue here for all metallic gas pipe. I have seen holes many times blown in all types of metallic gas and water pipe.

One house had water pouring out of the gas meter. Lightning had struck the home and the lines where touching. It blew holes in both and welded them together making a cross connection. So water was poring out of the gas meter when I rolled up. Same house had old metal banding around the countertops and it welded all the appliances togther and to the countertop edge banding. The strike came out of the corner of the house and took a chunk of concrete with it..we asssume it jumped into and out of the rebar in the slab.....then ripped a path through the grass and into the neighbors house.

Comment

The good green epoxy coated stuff, welded of course

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                  The good green epoxy coated stuff, welded of course
                  Welded ..theres nothing better. I have a good friend that tig welds stainless on a daily basis. I love it.

Comment

No galvanized here, it won't pass code
                    Threaded Steel inside
                    Plastic underground
                    Occasionally copper for LP work
                    Won't touch CSST, scared of the liability for now
                    sigpic

Comment

Black Iron

Copper is a

Ward flex / Gastite is crap crap crapity crap

Comment

Anyone ever use any tin lined copper?

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          Black Iron

Copper is a

Ward flex / Gastite is crap crap crapity crap
                          Copper is legal here in the frozen hinterland.

I usually run 5/8" OD type L or K copper. Use a Gould tubing bender on turns. Split ring hangers off of "sammies" when mounted on vertical walls.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            Anyone ever use any tin lined copper?
                            NO, BUT I USE COPPER LINED PEX! Does that count ?

Comment

Black steel, copper and csst. Much rather work with 2lb than black or csst.

Comment

Working...
                              X