X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One or Many?

Let's say you have 5+ full baths in a large footprint home with basement.

All bathrooms are spread out as much distance as possible.

Do you prefer to:

A) Connect them all in the basement ceiling then have one drop into/through the slab?
    B) Have multiple drops into/through the slab and connect them all outside the structure?

Just curious. It can be done both ways. Keep in mind performance and service. And I know which costs more.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: One or Many?

inside

Comment

Waste more than likely opposite

Comment

I think the real question is whether or not the basement is finished and to what extent. I am in the planning stages now of a home (5-baths including basement apartment) with a basement and I am hoping to drop 3" lines through to the slab. I am also planing 9' ceilings so I can have soffits at 8' in bathroom and kitchen areas.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I think the real question is whether or not the basement is finished and to what extent. I am in the planning stages now of a home (5-baths including basement apartment) with a basement and I am hoping to drop 3" lines through to the slab. I am also planing 9' ceilings so I can have soffits at 8' in bathroom and kitchen areas.

Mark
          Right. I ran into one where I had a ceiling height that could not be dropped any further. Meanwhile, I couldn't get the fall to connect them all without coming out of the ceiling.

Multiple drops & horizontal runs.

J.C.

Comment

If you ever want a real challenge, try plumbing a post & beam home which has a flat roof, two story open floor plan, all glass exterior walls and no provisions for installing plumbing. Add to that, it was already framed when we were hired.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If I have a choice I'm gonna bring them out rather than fight with invert issues on a finished basement.

The last one I did had 30 clear spans so the builder used JLAMS 18" tall on 12" centers, never gonna do a rough that way again. coupling, nipple,coupling,nipple, coupling, nipple, coupling nipple coupling nipple.....

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Let's say you have 5+ full baths in a large footprint home with basement.

All bathrooms are spread out as much distance as possible.

Do you prefer to:

A) Connect them all in the basement ceiling then have one drop into/through the slab?
                B) Have multiple drops into/through the slab and connect them all outside the structure?

Just curious. It can be done both ways. Keep in mind performance and service. And I know which costs more.

Thanks.
                P.S. This project has subfloor elevation issues.

J.C.
                Whadya think?

Comment

If you ever want a real challenge, try plumbing a post & beam home which has a flat roof, two story open floor plan, all glass exterior walls and no provisions for installing plumbing. Add to that, it was already framed when we were hired.

Mark
                  I'd have so many posts in there they'd think they were in jail.

That would be a fun challenge as long as I had the time for it.

J.C.

Comment

Best case scenario is to connect everything in the basement ceiling and go horizontally from there. Chances of having enough room horizontally are against you though. Plus, in earthquake country there are generally structural considerations (steel beams and paralams), not to mention hvac lines that prevent long horizontal runs. And, when we request drop ceilings, the design people start fidgeting over height restrictions and light planes. It all comes down ten gallons of stuff in a five gallon bucket.
                    J.C., when you say, "Have multiple drops into/through the slab and connect them all outside the structure?", do you mean the basement slab?
                    Most basements we do are below the main sewer invert, forcing us to use an ejector. When we do this, we do our darnedest not to connect any of the fixtures that are above the invert to the basement waste. But sometimes, 2nd and 3rd story fixtures just can't get there from here, so we end up running them through the ejector.
                    Last edited by Plumbus; 12-26-2010, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I'd have to see the layout.

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
                        I'd have to see the layout.
                        Good point, but he's not asking for a bid, just an opinion.

Comment

The devil's in the details.

Comment

Mark
                            i say out houses
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I would try to let them drop through the floor individually, best case tie 2 together before the slab. Just thinking about drain waste carry and wash.

Comment

Working...
                              X