X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more classy plumbing 101

Had a service call today at a big house down town chicago got to say love the way some what you call plumbers install water heaters I question it but first 2 75 gall 75,000 BTH water heaters gas comes of main in 3/4" pipe they use a 3/4" x 1/2" reducer 5' of 1/2" black pipe then a 1/2" tee to split to both water heaters talk about starving for gas .gas PSI here is very low I am not sure of the actual psi but I know the gas that comes out from me has more psi . I think its actualy measured in volume here not sure . But still then the water going into the water heater goes into the first water heater in the cold side then out the hot and back into the cold side of #2 water heater then to the house I mean why not just put a storage tank in the #2 spot thats all it does it will never run . # 3 the flu on the #2 water heater if you notice in pic 129 is 45* up well the pipe is wedged agenst the hot water line and pushed back so the pvc goes into the gasket at an angel not cool . And the reason for going out there was even beter they had a ejector pump a Hydromatic HKV-50 installed last year buy the same plumber who built the house who by the way this house is 6 years old put in a pump from 2007 and used a switch from a barns pump that he conected to the pipe so I put in a new Zoaller
    Attached Files
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Re: more classy plumbing 101

Man I dislike 75 gallon W.H.s They are just to big and expensive and big and heavy and heavy.

Comment

and why 2 w/h's with no bypass? bypass's are so nice on a saturday night. Flip a few valves and we will see you 1st thing Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
        and why 2 w/h's with no bypass? bypass's are so nice on a saturday night. Flip a few valves and we will see you 1st thing Monday.
        Ya I no whay you mean but in new install which these were haveing a shutoff on the hot side is aganst code but when I do put in 2 water heaters I take the handles off the hot side ball valves that I put on and hange them next to them with some solder
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

When I seen serial installs of water heaters, I seen they have the first heater heat up to 90º and the second heater heat to 120º this way recovery is faster and each heater is only doing a 40º temperature rise. I agree on the sloppiness of the vent. There is no excuse for that.

Last edited by SewerRatz; 12-28-2010, 10:11 PM.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Your second pic show's no T&P dishcharge pipe. And I agree with Ratz, serial installs are fine, if the temps are set right.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              Your second pic show's no T&P dishcharge pipe. And I agree with Ratz, serial installs are fine, if the temps are set right.
              sorry here is a pic a step back I thought I put that one in but that adds a nother good point both T&P valves are piped to the ground the tank to the right comes down and 90 to the left the picks up the 2 water heater with a tee and then to a floor drain that all looks good but I would think that tee should bee a 1"x3/4"x3/4" then 1" going to the floordrain if both T & P valves trip which the whay the heaters are piped its posable they could overload themselves
              Attached Files
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                When I seen serial installs of water heaters, I seen they have the first heater heat up to 90º and the second heater heat to 120º this way recovery is faster and each heater is only doing a 40º temperature rise. I agree on the sloppiness of the vent. There is no excuse for that.

In theroy that is correct but I have in 12 years of plumbing ever seen the temp set at 2 diferent levels as you state and as the heaters get older they tend to heat the water more and the second one like I stater is just more like a storage tank because it never runs also what if you have a recerc line like on this house they put the recerc. line back into the # 1 water heater so that will raise the temp of the water
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                  sorry here is a pic a step back I thought I put that one in but that adds a nother good point both T&P valves are piped to the ground the tank to the right comes down and 90 to the left the picks up the 2 water heater with a tee and then to a floor drain that all looks good but I would think that tee should bee a 1"x3/4"x3/4" then 1" going to the floordrain if both T & P valves trip which the whay the heaters are piped its posable they could overload themselves
                  I thought it was code to run each relief for the T&P separately.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I thought it was code to run each relief for the T&P separately.
                    they didnt run them seperatly they tied them together with a 3/4" tee so #1 water heater comes down & to the left and ties together with #2 with a 3/4" tee and then one seperate 3/4" discharge for both
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                      Had a service call today at a big house down town chicago got to say love the way some what you call plumbers install water heaters I question it but first 2 75 gall 75,000 BTH water heaters gas comes of main in 3/4" pipe they use a 3/4" x 1/2" reducer 5' of 1/2" black pipe then a 1/2" tee to split to both water heaters talk about starving for gas .gas PSI here is very low I am not sure of the actual psi but I know the gas that comes out from me has more psi . I think its actualy measured in volume here not sure . But still then the water going into the water heater goes into the first water heater in the cold side then out the hot and back into the cold side of #2 water heater then to the house I mean why not just put a storage tank in the #2 spot thats all it does it will never run . # 3 the flu on the #2 water heater if you notice in pic 129 is 45* up well the pipe is wedged agenst the hot water line and pushed back so the pvc goes into the gasket at an angel not cool . And the reason for going out there was even beter they had a ejector pump a Hydromatic HKV-50 installed last year buy the same plumber who built the house who by the way this house is 6 years old put in a pump from 2007 and used a switch from a barns pump that he conected to the pipe so I put in a new Zoaller

Yea But Look at all the Money they thought they saved Now they need to find how much it cost to fix some jack legs mess
                      Life is Good, OleTom
                      http://ConstructionWorkers.US

Comment

Also I see a PRV Behind the first W.H. Going to a Hydronic Boiler Me thinks. Lotso Gas demand!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Also I see a PRV Behind the first W.H. Going to a Hydronic Boiler Me thinks. Lotso Gas demand!
                          yes there was a boiler for radiant heat in basment and 2 furnaces so total 2- 75 gall water heaters 2 furnaces for upper 3 floors 1 boiler for basement sorry forgot to put that in
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by OleTom View Post
                            Yea But Look at all the Money they thought they saved Now they need to find how much it cost to fix some jack legs mess
                            unfortunatly they are the 2 home owners fixing others saveings
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                            X