X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper clad split ring controversy

It's accepted practice in my area to rough in water lines inside stud walls using Copper Clad split ring hangers. I've always found it to be the best way to rigidly support copper pipe, especially for the most common plumbing rough-ins.

Another plumber once told me that engineers hate split ring hangers. He said that's the most common source of corrosion in a plumbing system because of electrolysis.
    That made no sense because the hanger has a painted coating that's supposed to protect against electrolysis. Figured as long as the all thread rod doesn't touch the pipe, it should be just fine.
    So I did some research, and some of the more well known manufacturers of these state in their product specs that the copper color is for identification only and the hanger is not designed to protect against electrolysis.

Anyone have experience with corrosion of copper pipes because of the use of split ring hangers?

Anyone have any suggestions for better ways to support in-wall rough ins? I've used copper two hole straps but they must be fastened to a wood stud, and I just don't see much lumber on the bigger type of construction projects i'm involved in.

Re: copper clad split ring controversy

I have seen a lot of copper electrolysis due to the hangers never could figure out why we have used hilti and other name brand same thing funny thing is it can happen on one and not the other I work for one of the bigger union shoppes in chicago and all I do is service so I see a lot of things and work on a lot of stuff from 50 story high rises to single story homes and we go from northern il. to kankakee can make for a lot of driveing some dayes we primaraly use Copper Plated A-Band Tubing Hangers http://www.warwickhanger.com/catalog.../band-hangers/ not these exact but you get it but I have seen a lot of carrosion on copper from the hangers my only geuse is it can be from the water that comes throgh the floors druing construction when corring a geuse corring could be going on 3 or 4 floors up but when you get the copper in and there coorring they use lots of water and water goes dowen has lots of inpurites
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

and PS welcome to the Ridgid forum
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Condensation forming on tube walls could be another culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by indypipepro View Post
          It's accepted practice in my area to rough in water lines inside stud walls using Copper Clad split ring hangers. I've always found it to be the best way to rigidly support copper pipe, especially for the most common plumbing rough-ins.

Another plumber once told me that engineers hate split ring hangers. He said that's the most common source of corrosion in a plumbing system because of electrolysis.
          That made no sense because the hanger has a painted coating that's supposed to protect against electrolysis. Figured as long as the all thread rod doesn't touch the pipe, it should be just fine.
          So I did some research, and some of the more well known manufacturers of these state in their product specs that the copper color is for identification only and the hanger is not designed to protect against electrolysis.

Anyone have experience with corrosion of copper pipes because of the use of split ring hangers?

Anyone have any suggestions for better ways to support in-wall rough ins? I've used copper two hole straps but they must be fastened to a wood stud, and I just don't see much lumber on the bigger type of construction projects i'm involved in.
          Indy: One little wrap of duct tape should act as an insulator. It'll be cheap, and should last. Duct tape. "It cures what ails ya."
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
          X