Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slab Leak Warm Floor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slab Leak Warm Floor

    Boy that was a close one...

    Kitchen had an obviously warm spot 8' in diameter.While mapping out the rest of the system I barely heard a faint leak at the back of a master lavatory.The leak,which by the way was a previous repair from 7 years ago,was on a 3/4" hot manifold riser feeding 2 baths 40 feet away from the warm spot.It was pulling hot water through the copper in the kitchen that apparently got into the slab and was heating the floor.

    The warm spot had nothing to do with the leak.

    I just want you guys to be aware of what could happen.
    Don't want you to have to destroy a hardwood floor only to find nothing.Then go pull some carpeting back in a closet to fix the real leak.
    It'd be a shame,'specially if they had a bunch of friends in town.

    Those of you on this forum who don't make any mistakes might as well just go on to the next thread.

  • #2
    Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

    tanks. breid...............

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

      I always tell myself to keep an open mind and don't jump to conclusions when trouble shooting.

      And, sometimes your best tool is luck and your ability to grab it as it passes.

      Chance favors the prepared mind.

      Louis Pasteur

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

        Sometimes It's a bad thing to own 3 elec. Jack Hammers
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

          How bad was the leak? Was it a bad solder joint from the old repair? Did they have a tank type heater or tankless? How hot was the water?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

            I believe most competent,and caring plumbers on this forum would have gone "tear up city " I believe everybody will question themselves
            After this! "I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW"
            Thanks for the lesson Brother!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

              Geez, My first leak detection I missed by 30 feet in a completely other room.
              Ugggghhh.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

                And, sometimes your best tool is luck and your ability to grab it as it passes.

                Chance favors the prepared mind.
                Louis Pasteur
                Amen

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                  So the leak was under the slab behind the master lavatory?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                    Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    How bad was the leak? Was it a bad solder joint from the old repair? Did they have a tank type heater or tankless? How hot was the water?

                    Couldn't tell ya.
                    But I can say the she did chose "Skippy" over "Jiff"..


                    Tank set at 130deg.Told them to drop the temp.Gonna kill the heater faster.
                    This was a re-route through the singe story's attic.No need to jack crete for proof on leak issues.
                    Great news TM,I used Pex.H/O request.

                    Pex and/or Tankless...You buy,I'll fly.it's your house

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                      Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      So the leak was under the slab behind the master lavatory?
                      Yes sirie.
                      Yesterday I was wondering if a handysort had soft soldered(or face soldered for that matter)the patch,being that it was unsleeved through the concrete and all.
                      After the wall was opened up you could really hear it scream as I was purging with CO2,sounded like it was right there 1/2" below the surface.I have no idea how water never made it's way up to the surface of the concrete where the leak was.Concrete was totally dry

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Couldn't tell ya.
                        But I can say the she did chose "Skippy" over "Jiff"..


                        Tank set at 130deg.Told them to drop the temp.Gonna kill the heater faster.
                        This was a re-route through the singe story's attic.No need to jack crete for proof on leak issues.
                        Great news TM,I used Pex.H/O request.

                        Pex and/or Tankless...You buy,I'll fly.it's your house
                        They can turn the temp down but if they start to run the heater out of hot water on a regular basis that can cause the heater to fail quicker. In other words if they turn the temp down they might need to get a bigger heater.

                        Dont ya love those re-routes like that? I never break the slab anymore if theres another way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                          Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          They can turn the temp down but if they start to run the heater out of hot water on a regular basis that can cause the heater to fail quicker. In other words if they turn the temp down they might need to get a bigger heater.

                          Dont ya love those re-routes like that? I never break the slab anymore if theres another way.
                          Elaborate two stories usually require underslab repair

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                            Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Elaborate two stories usually require underslab repair
                            Or homes that have fittings under the slab. I've had to pull flooring up on the second floor and cut the plywood to run new pipe and more walls to cut. I've done homes that have no attic and on a slab by running pipe around the exterior and coming back into the home at the plumbing locations. 99% of the time around here there is a way.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

                              We have a 1958 slab w 3/8" copper radiant, and water service in
                              concrete. I don't sleep well!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X