Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slab Leak Warm Floor

Boy that was a close one...

Kitchen had an obviously warm spot 8' in diameter.While mapping out the rest of the system I barely heard a faint leak at the back of a master lavatory.The leak,which by the way was a previous repair from 7 years ago,was on a 3/4" hot manifold riser feeding 2 baths 40 feet away from the warm spot.It was pulling hot water through the copper in the kitchen that apparently got into the slab and was heating the floor.

The warm spot had nothing to do with the leak.

I just want you guys to be aware of what could happen.
    Don't want you to have to destroy a hardwood floor only to find nothing.Then go pull some carpeting back in a closet to fix the real leak.
    It'd be a shame,'specially if they had a bunch of friends in town.

Those of you on this forum who don't make any mistakes might as well just go on to the next thread.

Re: Slab Leak Warm Floor

tanks. breid...............

Comment

I always tell myself to keep an open mind and don't jump to conclusions when trouble shooting.

And, sometimes your best tool is luck and your ability to grab it as it passes.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Louis Pasteur

Comment

Sometimes It's a bad thing to own 3 elec. Jack Hammers
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How bad was the leak? Was it a bad solder joint from the old repair? Did they have a tank type heater or tankless? How hot was the water?

Comment

I believe most competent,and caring plumbers on this forum would have gone "tear up city " I believe everybody will question themselves
            After this! "I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW"
            Thanks for the lesson Brother!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Geez, My first leak detection I missed by 30 feet in a completely other room.
              Ugggghhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

And, sometimes your best tool is luck and your ability to grab it as it passes.

Chance favors the prepared mind.
                Louis Pasteur
                Amen

Comment

So the leak was under the slab behind the master lavatory?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    How bad was the leak? Was it a bad solder joint from the old repair? Did they have a tank type heater or tankless? How hot was the water?

Couldn't tell ya.
                    But I can say the she did chose "Skippy" over "Jiff"..

Tank set at 130deg.Told them to drop the temp.Gonna kill the heater faster.
                    This was a re-route through the singe story's attic.No need to jack crete for proof on leak issues.
                    Great news TM,I used Pex.H/O request.

Pex and/or Tankless...You buy,I'll fly.it's your house

Comment

So the leak was under the slab behind the master lavatory?
                      Yes sirie.
                      Yesterday I was wondering if a handysort had soft soldered(or face soldered for that matter)the patch,being that it was unsleeved through the concrete and all.
                      After the wall was opened up you could really hear it scream as I was purging with CO2,sounded like it was right there 1/2" below the surface.I have no idea how water never made it's way up to the surface of the concrete where the leak was.Concrete was totally dry

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Couldn't tell ya.
                        But I can say the she did chose "Skippy" over "Jiff"..

Tank set at 130deg.Told them to drop the temp.Gonna kill the heater faster.
                        This was a re-route through the singe story's attic.No need to jack crete for proof on leak issues.
                        Great news TM,I used Pex.H/O request.

Pex and/or Tankless...You buy,I'll fly.it's your house
                        They can turn the temp down but if they start to run the heater out of hot water on a regular basis that can cause the heater to fail quicker. In other words if they turn the temp down they might need to get a bigger heater.

Dont ya love those re-routes like that? I never break the slab anymore if theres another way.

Comment

They can turn the temp down but if they start to run the heater out of hot water on a regular basis that can cause the heater to fail quicker. In other words if they turn the temp down they might need to get a bigger heater.

Dont ya love those re-routes like that? I never break the slab anymore if theres another way.
                          Elaborate two stories usually require underslab repair

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Elaborate two stories usually require underslab repair
                            Or homes that have fittings under the slab. I've had to pull flooring up on the second floor and cut the plywood to run new pipe and more walls to cut. I've done homes that have no attic and on a slab by running pipe around the exterior and coming back into the home at the plumbing locations. 99% of the time around here there is a way.

Comment

We have a 1958 slab w 3/8" copper radiant, and water service in
                              concrete. I don't sleep well!

Comment

Working...
                              X