X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex at the HD

LOEWS here sells CSST and fittings for gas.
    www.paradiseplumbinganddrains.com

plumber ft. worth dallas plumber fort worth plumber plumber arlington

Comment

Same here "plumbiz", and it ain't legal in the City or County unless installed under a Master Gas License. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbiz View Post
        Yep, same here as well. I seen it the last time I was there and it is cheaper than at the supply house but it's a different system (don't recall the name). I'm not sure if it even meets code.

I don't know how they get around the liability issues in selling gas/water piping and water heaters.

I think you should have to be at the very least a registered apprentice under a licensed plumber/mech cont. in good standing to be able to purchase water/gas pipe and heaters.

I don't have as big of a problem with fixtures/parts (although they could lead to cross connection as well) but protecting the safety of the public in regards to water and gas (potential explosions) does seem like a consideration government should look into.

Or maybe every home should be required to have an RPZ and have it tested annually to ensure the public water system is protected from homeowners and hacks...then they'd start selling those at the Box stores too! Maybe the Box stores could certify you to test devices as well.

Comment

Here HD was selling ventless gas log kits years before they were legal in my area. A neighbor of mine ran up there, bought one and asked me to install it.I said nope they're not legal and won't be responsible for killing your whole family...So he got someone else to hook it up ...A few years later they were accepted go figure
          Last edited by OLD1; 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM.
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by plumbiz View Post
            Same here.
            I should send my girlfriend in, have her take the "awe it's easy ma'am this is how you do it" course from the idiot working the section. Then have her come put it in my house. I could use a new house, and about 50 million.

Was it the depot or lowes that got sued for SHEETROCK? Ha, man this is a huuuuuuuuemungeous lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by spoonleg View Post
              Same here.
              I should send my girlfriend in, have her take the "awe it's easy ma'am this is how you do it" course from the idiot working the section. Then have her come put it in my house. I could use a new house, and about 50 million.

Was it the depot or lowes that got sued for SHEETROCK? Ha, man this is a huuuuuuuuemungeous lawsuit just waiting to happen.
              Yeah alot of people are out for what they can get. And they will do things like your taking about.

Comment

PEX has been available here at all of the HD's and Lowes for years. Phone keeps ringing.

J.C.

Comment

Splain why you is all a Bit&^ing about the big box's selling all this stuff? It's you guys (not all of you, but most) that have no problem selling and installing all that plastic and get er done fast crap, so why do you give a crap where it comes from? Unless you are willing to take a stand and stop selling this stuff and go to code review meetings and plumbing board meetings and get together and rally against this stuff then why Bit*& about it?

H.D. and Lowes will continue to sell these products for as long as they can make a profit selling these products.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Splain why you is all a Bit&^ing about the big box's selling all this stuff? It's you guys (not all of you, but most) that have no problem selling and installing all that plastic and get er done fast crap, so why do you give a crap where it comes from? Unless you are willing to take a stand and stop selling this stuff and go to code review meetings and plumbing board meetings and get together and rally against this stuff then why Bit*& about it?

H.D. and Lowes will continue to sell these products for as long as they can make a profit selling these products.
                    Why are all of the PEX hating Copper Preachers not installing galvanized? That takes more skill & more expensive tooling. And often functions for 50 years or more.

If you are installing copper in a project where galvanized could be used then you are destroying the trade's future.

Can't have it both ways.

J.C.

Comment

They also sell black,copper,galvanized . All the stuff thats suppose to be hard and require skill to use with one exception....no cast iron. Maybe I will start asking for cast iron and they will order some in.

Comment

Don't want it both ways JC. But the same guys that complain about the big boxes are the guys that are selling this stuff. Seems a bit hypocritical. Hell, by your assumption, why stop at galvy? Let's all get out the lead tools
                        sigpic

Comment

Don't want it both ways JC. But the same guys that complain about the big boxes are the guys that are selling this stuff. Seems a bit hypocritical. Hell, by your assumption, why stop at galvy? Let's all get out the lead tools
                          Oh, if we only could!

J.C.

Comment

The reason I posted was the fact that Cities and villages around here does not allow PEX, yet the HD decided to stock it. I talked to one of the orange smock guys, he said its been there for the last 6 months (shows how often I go in) and they have yet to sell any.

I am not happy with the big box stores period. I go in them after I have exhausted all other options. There was a time Hydromatic pumps where being sold at the HD, I wrote Metropolitan pump company, and apparently many others did as well, HD no longer sells them in the stores. They where selling them cheaper than my supply house sold them for. My supply house told me they where cheaper at the HD than they where getting them for by a couple bucks. Zoeller pumps can still be found in any Ace Hardware store still. They are about 10 bucks more than what I pay at a supply house.

I will always support my local supply house, just they would support us plumbers and not sell to walk in non-plumbers, but I understand why they do this. I have pointed out in the past how HVAC supply house will not sell to the open public. They sell only to HVAC contractors that have an account with them. The man reason they can do this is the big box stores are not selling boilers and furnaces or repair parts for boilers and furnaces to the public. Yes I do see them selling Central Air units and forced air furnaces, but only with professional installation.

So the issue is like NHMaster3015 says, the get it done fast products and other manufactures of plumbing products have no qualms selling out us plumbers and making their products available to the open public.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Why are all of the PEX hating Copper Preachers not installing galvanized? That takes more skill & more expensive tooling. And often functions for 50 years or more.

If you are installing copper in a project where galvanized could be used then you are destroying the trade's future.

Can't have it both ways.

J.C.
                            JC I still install galvanized, if the job calls for it. Meaning if the home has galvanized pipe, I will still plumb with it. I still caulk my cast iron joints, I refuse to use the Ty rubber seal gaskets on cast iron.

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            They also sell black,copper,galvanized . All the stuff thats suppose to be hard and require skill to use with one exception....no cast iron. Maybe I will start asking for cast iron and they will order some in.
                            Go into the big box stores around Chicago, tons of cast iron pipe and fittings to be found there.
                            Last edited by SewerRatz; 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM. Reason: combing posts
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Well if big box is selling cast iron in your area then they seem to sell everything that most supply houses carry for home plumbing. Big box does not sell cast iron here.

So big box doesn't just carry the easy to work with fast crap do they? Now we know they sell almost EVERYTHING

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                                Well if big box is selling cast iron in your area then they seem to sell everything that most supply houses carry for home plumbing. Big box does not sell cast iron here.

So big box doesn't just carry the easy to work with fast crap do they? Now we know they sell almost EVERYTHING
                                If you read my post carefully you might catch that I also said "and other manufactures of plumbing products " here let me quote the line for you.

Originally posted by SewerRatz
                                So the issue is like NHMaster3015 says, the get it done fast products and other manufactures of plumbing products have no qualms selling out us plumbers and making their products available to the open public.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X