• Show
Clear All

Re: drilling out a pvc hub

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Good job Geno.
    Be nice to have a set of those.

How's the grandson?
    Yeah, those drill bits are not cheap!

Thanks for asking! I just got back from the hospital and he's doing just fine. He's going to be a good baby. He's really peaceful once he's got a full belly.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Nice to have a set of those.

A $40 heat gun would have gotten you the same result
      I have never thought of using a heat gun to try and remove pipe from a hub. I have a very nice Milwaukee heat gun which I occasionally use to straighten pipe. I'm not sure how would you go about it. Heat the pipe and fitting so they are less brittle and prone to breakage then chisel out the pipe?

The drill bit drilled the pipe out in about 15 seconds with a hole hawg in high speed.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        I have never thought of using a heat gun to try and remove pipe from a hub. I have a very nice Milwaukee heat gun which I occasionally use to straighten pipe. I'm not sure how would you go about it. Heat the pipe and fitting so they are less brittle and prone to breakage then chisel out the pipe?

The drill bit drilled the pipe out in about 15 seconds with a hole hawg in high speed.
        stick with the drill if you can. But I cut the inner pipe with a hacksaw blade down to the hub. then I take my torch and start heating the inside pipe until I can pry an edge up with a screw driver then I grab ahold of that with plyers and keep pulling and heating. and hoping I don't break the fitting

Comment

Yep, the key is to heat from the inside out if you can. The pipe will soften up and be very pliable. Heat gun works best on 1-1/2" to 2", anything larger gets more difficult and time consuming. Being careful not to distort the fitting as it cools down.

Comment

I remove broken pvc closet flanges on a regular basis. I cut the top of the flange off and then make a series of vertical cuts through the wall of the pvc. The idea is to cut through the piece you want to remove and thats all. Then use a thin screwdriver to pop the pieces out.

On the hub pictured above I would have placed a couple stainless steel worn drive hose clamps around the fitting for support,heated it so it wouldn't be so brittle,made the relief cuts vertically and then removed the pieces with a thin flat balde screwdriver.

if I had to do it on a regular basis i would buy the proper tool. The closet flanges come out alot easier because most of them that i find are glued inside 4" pvc and you dont get the interference fit as you do with a fitting.

Does anyone make a bit to remove a 3" or 4" pvc flange glued on the outside of a 3" or 4" pipe?

Comment

I use this for peel and never heat.
              Attached Files

Comment

To remove a hub from a pvc or abs pipe http://www.pipeparana.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZBFr...layer_embedded
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Very nice and very expensive. 475.00 for the set or 150.00 each. But it is what I asked for. Thank you.

I give this tool(based on the video) 5 stars.

I may buy the 3" model.....for closet flanges. 4" pipe I use an inside the pipe flange on those so removal is a snap,just cut the flange portion off.
                  Last edited by TheMaster; 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

That 3" bit would come in real handy on 3" flanges for sure

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      The broken pipe is intended to drain a commercial washing machine. Apparently the people who operate the machine let things such as knives, spoons, forks, etc. get into the wash machine and they plug up the drain so the maintenance people want a Mission type connection there to aid in access. I ended up installing a mission coupling and a 2" trap with a union. It's back in operation for morning but the installation as it is isn't legal so I need to talk to management about that in the am. (They were already gone for the day). I really need to bust up the floor and install a good sized floor drain to provide an indirect connection to the DWV system.
                      Man that's one hell of a washer to actually "process" silverware to the point of it stopping up the actual drain outside the machine

Comment

I suggest periodically tightening/checking the cutters on the wheeler bits- Or why I keep a magnetic retriever with me. I specifically like this tool for removing closet flanges prior to tile jobs and to replace broken closet flanges. On some closet bends, the tool bottoms outs prior to removing all pipe from inside the hub. Check prior to glue up.

Majority of my work is ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                          I suggest periodically tightening/checking the cutters on the wheeler bits- Or why I keep a magnetic retriever with me. I specifically like this tool for removing closet flanges prior to tile jobs and to replace broken closet flanges. On some closet bends, the tool bottoms outs prior to removing all pipe from inside the hub. Check prior to glue up.

Majority of my work is ABS.
                          Why not just a pipe shooter?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Nice set of bits but those are a little pricey!
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                            X