X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trough shower drain

Anyone familiar with this product line? Any issues or installation glitches?
    http://www.quickdrainusa.com/products.php?pcid=1

Anyone have a positive experience with another brand of trough drain?
    Last edited by Plumbus; 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM.

Re: Trough shower drain

Is this for a curb less shower? Insp. nixt one on Me
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Here is a link with some good pictures on rough in
      http://www.contractortalk.com/f9/rou...l-drain-87881/

Kinda weird as he posted a lot about it but nobody was asking any questions but still some good pics.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have seen the final product after tile,it was along the back wall.I have not installed one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post

Kinda weird as he posted a lot about it but nobody was asking any questions but still some good pics.
          So the membrane(tar,chloraloy or bitchathane) just lays on top of the flange.Nothing to go on top to sandwich the membrane into the body.Oh well,as long as the installer of the barrier provides the warranty I'll put it in.I'm not sure I like it,but I'll put it in.

Comment

On the concrete install it looks like he made the hole around the existing waste riser large enough that he could get his hand under the drain to connect the mission coupling (though he used a standard NH coupling) with a torque wrench or maybe a ratchet with a 5/16" socket. The camera to check his work was a nice touch. Not being able to do a proper dam test, as he said, would be a problem with the inspectors in my area.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            So the membrane(tar,chloraloy or bitchathane) just lays on top of the flange.Nothing to go on top to sandwich the membrane into the body.Oh well,as long as the installer of the barrier provides the warranty I'll put it in.I'm not sure I like it,but I'll put it in.
            That is a concern, especially if the membrane installer isn't on the A list.

My brother has installed two of these, but I wasn't involved with either install. I've picked his brain some to try to ascertain how much labor to through at it. Besides the actual plumbing time, he said to allocate a half day just to get the framer and membrane installer up to speed. He said that all my preparation would go down the drain (literally) if the tile guy wasn't in the loop. Kinda tough when there's a good chance that communicating in english might be the biggest barrier, especially since my spanish is at a preschool level.
            One thing I can't get my head around is the fact that the height from the rough flange to the finished grate is only about an inch. Most shower drains I'm familiar with have at least 2" between flange to grate. Where's room the mortor bed? And, are there weep holes at the base of the flange? (thinking like an inspector here)
            Guess I'll address my concerns to my brother.
            H@@l, all I want to know right now is how much to put on the bid.

Comment

Plumbus,
              Your statement on the 2" elevation....
              The hot moppers out here are mopping in floor drains (I.E.:Zurn FD2290) with the decorative square grates.Think you can screw them down to 3/4"

First time a general handed me one I told him no way would a reputable hot mopper take the responsibility.I called my guy.I was wrong.He's been putting them in for a couple years now.

Comment

Plumbus,
                Your statement on the 2" elevation....
                The hot moppers out here are mopping in floor drains (I.E.:Zurn FD2290) with the decorative square grates.Think you can screw them down to 3/4"
                If you flip the flange upside down you can get within 1/2". More later.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  If you flip the flange upside down you can get within 1/2". More later.
                  Ahhh!!
                  You're right,I forgot.

So you guys are thinkin' maybe using them up there for showers now too?

Comment

We use more Zurn than E-Z Test drains for showers. 5" square grates are the most popular. We take the grates to our plater for decorative finishes. Nice thing about that is we can take him tops with flaws or damage. When we get them back they're as good as new.
                    I still say 3/4" is too thin for mortar and tile.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post

Thanks for the link Cuda.
                      Finally something good coming out Cont. talk. I like the wax ring clean up trick on carpet. Hot iron and paper towels.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                        X