X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The effects of sewer gas on cast n copper

dell that can happen too but how would the draino eat the vent? draino fumes? ldk? breid..........

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
      So was the vent blocked so the sewer gas couldn't escape? Or was the sewer gas being trapped in other ways?

I understand that hydrogen sulfide reacts with metal ions and turns acidic. Even our body produces small amounts of hydrogen sulfide. (didn't know that one)

It's a wonder that the Plumbing code doesn't ban us now from using Copper and C.I. for drainage purposes, cause of these types of things happening.
      No the vent was not blocked,if the vent was blocked the damage wouldn't have happened. The damage only happened in the flow of the sewer gas up the vent. Close the vent=no gas flow=no corrosion. thats why the lav arm and the toilet arm are still almost in orignal condition

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      It still could be residual drano that was used on the lav drain
      Once it opened the top of the pipe never got washed and started eating
      I guess it could be alot of things...but not this time. Its sewer gas. One thing about pics.....you dont get to smell what i smelled..

Comment

Good pics.

It does appear to be a very rare scenario for it to occur.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
          I have seen DWV copper rot away befor like that from sewer gas just not that bad I would have thught they would have a just a small leak down stairs but still nice pics
          They did have a leak when a guest came to stay and used the upstairs bathroom.....then they called me. They smelled a bad odor for a while but then it went away or so they thought. Sewer gas has a tendency to dull the sense of smell...and thats just the tip of the spear. Its very bad for your health...the list of health problems range from a headache to death.

Comment

Good case for plastic .
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think you did that on purpose a pair of channel locks and cottage cheese with green food coloring.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Good pics.

It does appear to be a very rare scenario for it to occur.

J.C.
                extremely rare

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  They did have a leak when a guest came to stay and used the upstairs bathroom.....then they called me. They smelled a bad odor for a while but then it went away or so they thought. Sewer gas has a tendency to dull the sense of smell...and thats just the tip of the spear. Its very bad for your health...the list of health problems range from a headache to death.
                  to be truthfull that just answerd a lot thats on a second bath that never gets used unles they have guests answers why they have a lot of sewer gas and no wash down on pipe as of this being rare ya you dont see it often but very rare no I geuse its all about where you live and work thats also why most all areas around here dont alow DWV copper on DWV anymore and I see this in areas with towns and citys with big sewer mains like 36" or bigger due to combind san. & storm my gues is the bacterea smell gets so strong in the summer people call and complain but that adds to the streangth of the sewer oader during drouts
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Awesome show and tell Master ! Have the inspectors pushed to
                    move to plastic on Your amendments to Your National code?
                    And what code are You under, Please ? Tanks Tool
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Oh well thanks for the compliment. I work under several different codes depending on where I'm working.

Comment

we have some copper dwv. it's not uncommon to cut it and have the top paper thin. usually the bottom is thin or leaking. i had 3'' galvanised on the dwv that rotted out bad on top also.

Comment

This all seems very bizarre to me

I've seen chemicals do this and commercial steam equipment rot copper out like that and maybe once or twice at the base of a stack from the hydraulic jump but never everyday residential sewer gases.

We are mostly combination sewers here so I guess our sh!t doesn't stink

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            We work under 2 diff coeds here Chicago coed & IL state code
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documen...cal_Manual.pdf

Pages 6 and 7

During WW2 a lot of CI was manufactured that had a thinner wall thickness than service weight pipe too save materials that were needed for the war effort.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documen...cal_Manual.pdf

Pages 6 and 7

During WW2 a lot of CI was manufactured that had a thinner wall thickness than service weight pipe too save materials that were needed for the war effort.
                                The pipe in my example was from the late 50's but i agree at different points in history pipe quality has varied......just like today. Fittings also...the quality of the typical plumbing fitting SUCKS that you buy at a supply house(brass)

Comment

Working...
                                X