• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The effects of sewer gas on cast n copper

Re: The effects of sewer gas on cast n copper

What's that off of ?

Comment

the damage to the bottom of the copper run there looks more like a drano problem than a sewer gas problem.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
        What's that off of ?
        Its from a stack that served a bathroom group.

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        the damage to the bottom of the copper run there looks more like a drano problem than a sewer gas problem.
        Actually in the pic its upside down....thats the top of the pipe. How the pic shows is not how the horizontal section was installed.

Notice the cracked cast iron also....

Comment

You come up with some wierd s!!t.I've seen/installed plenty of copper DWV.
          What are you setting us up for,or not telling us about this time?

Why not just tell us.Or are you just wanting to play 50 questions to get your post count up

Comment

the cast iron is nothing new for us. the copper is well beyond a new leak

i don't service too many copper dwv systems, but i do have about 60' of 3'' copper dwv scrap that is pin holed. it was on a sewer ejector system that was picking up 4 kitchens and 1 toilet and lav sink. of course it never got that bad as it's always under static head pressure.

are you bringing up hydrogen sulfide gas nothing new.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              You come up with some wierd s!!t.I've seen/installed plenty of copper DWV.
              What are you setting us up for,or not telling us about this time?

Why not just tell us.Or are you just wanting to play 50 questions to get your post count up
              Setting you up? Tell you what? I think the post title says it all unless you have any questions.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              the cast iron is nothing new for us. the copper is well beyond a new leak

i don't service too many copper dwv systems, but i do have about 60' of 3'' copper dwv scrap that is pin holed. it was on a sewer ejector system that was picking up 4 kitchens and 1 toilet and lav sink. of course it never got that bad as it's always under static head pressure.

are you bringing up hydrogen sulfide gas nothing new.

rick.
              No not in particular...just sewer gas in general.

Comment

Ok

WWWHYYY ISSS ITTT Like that

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Ok

WWWHYYY ISSS ITTT Like that
                  Heavy sewer gas in the area.

Comment

I got to be honest...I've never seen D.W.V. copper get that bad in the pictures that are posted, and we have a ton of it here.

I've seen C.I. with splits many times though.

I hate to sound so dumb, but I have a hard time believing that was sewer gas alone that cause those blowouts.

Comment

Here is a pic of the horizontal section. In the rear of the picture is the 90 that turns up and continues vertical to catch the lavatory and continue out the roof. The top of the pipe is the worst.

The sections of pipe subjected to the flow of sewer gas up the stack was atttacked.....and of that the top of the horizontal was attacked the worst. The toilet arm was ok,no problems and the lavatory arm was fine.....neither had air flow throw them because if the traps but the vertical continuing out the roof was eaten alive.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                        Here is a pic of the horizontal section. In the rear of the picture is the 90 that turns up and continues vertical to catch the lavatory and continue out the roof. The top of the pipe is the worst.

The sections of pipe subjected to the flow of sewer gas up the stack was atttacked.....and of that the top of the horizontal was attacked the worst. The toilet arm was ok,no problems and the lavatory arm was fine.....neither had air flow throw them because if the traps but the vertical continuing out the roof was eaten alive.

Here in Minnesota I observe vent piping deterioration to the point of pipewall penetration in schedule 40 steel several times a year. I see it, but with less frequency on the tops of lead bends.

Thanks for sharing.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I have seen DWV copper rot away befor like that from sewer gas just not that bad I would have thught they would have a just a small leak down stairs but still nice pics
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

So was the vent blocked so the sewer gas couldn't escape? Or was the sewer gas being trapped in other ways?

I understand that hydrogen sulfide reacts with metal ions and turns acidic. Even our body produces small amounts of hydrogen sulfide. (didn't know that one)

It's a wonder that the Plumbing code doesn't ban us now from using Copper and C.I. for drainage purposes, cause of these types of things happening.

Comment

It still could be residual drano that was used on the lav drain
                              Once it opened the top of the pipe never got washed and started eating

Comment

Working...
                              X