X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drive time

It was many years ago that I was jobbing but anyway the way it worked for us was thus;

I lived about 20 minutes away from the shop. Ron, the journeyman I worked with lived about 5 minutes further away and drove by my place on his way to work so he would pick me up each day. (worked out good for me cause I saved gas and if I was late it was his fault. )

We drove to the shop on our own time and had a set start time each morning of 7 AM, thats when our pay started.

Each morning we got our work assignments for the day and after restocking the truck or loading up whatever material we might need for the days work we were off to Hajoca or one of the other plumbing supply houses if we needed anything there.

We took a half hour for lunch and we both agreed to take lunch when it best fit into our schedule, not a hard and fast Noon or other set time. Sometimes we stay and finish a job and then take lunch at 1PM, sometimes we would eat at 11 AM before we started the next job. At 3:30 PM our regular day was over. If we did not have any pending work that had to complete that day we were off for home on our own time and dime. Ron took the van home every night as he was on call 3 or 4 evenings a week. He would call me if he needed me for help with a night call but that usually didn't' happen. Since we didn't have to report back to the shop we were on the job until quitting time and headed home from there w/o pay.

If we were on a job and it was the end of the regular work day we were usually expected to stay and finish it up and we would be paid OT after 8 hours. Ron would call the office and advise them throughout the day of the status of our work. Remember this is long before cell phones (1970s) and we did not have radios in our fleet of 8 trucks. We sure could have used them though. Between 3 and 3:30 each day we would check in to see if there were any emergency calls. If at 3:30 our job could not be completed in a half hour we had to call the office before we worked past 4 PM. Most days we were so busy that we hardly ever finished before 6PM.

I both loved and hated it. We serviced a lot of reasturants being in a popular shore resort (back then anyway) and I hated cleaning kitchen grease traps and clearing stoppages in the hotels. I hated driving around with those stinking drain cleaning equipment in the back of the van. But I loved most of the other work andI liked being able to help people by getting the heat on again or repairing a water leak what have you.

But after two years I went into new construction and never went back to jobbing.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Technically, they might or might not be required to pay you for your drive/ride time, but if the company is treating you good otherwise, why make a big issue of it?? Now if they are the only employer around, any they generally treat their people like crap, that changes things. Evaluate things as a whole, and look at things from both sides, and try and figure out if your being compensated fairly.

I had a previous employer who didn't pay for the monthly meetings at the shop, or other meetings from time to time. For whatever reason she just felt this was the way to do it. However, she paid us well, gave us a hefty bonus at Christmas and our birthday, gave us gift cards to Red Lobster and Longhorns several times plus a few other things. It was well worth "donating" a few hours to that company.

Comment

If you're driving a service vehicle from a service call back to the shop your boss should be charging the customer for that time and you should be paid for it same as if you were driving from one service call directly to another. Your boss should be taking this out of the customer's pocket, not yours. If yours were a union shop, he sure wouldn't try this policy.
        Last edited by Plumbus; 01-02-2011, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Doesn't matter what We think,60 guys will apply for Your job as You sit home watching sponge bob !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i forgot if i have to help a service man on a off hour call we get paid all travel time
            if we have to work on Sundays its double time and travel time paid

we do not get overtime until we have 40hr worked ,so if i work 1 20hr day and they tell me at the end of the week to go home after i worked 40 hr ,no ot .bit next time they want me to work 20 in a day i say no
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Doesn't matter what We think,60 guys will apply for Your job as You sit home watching sponge bob !
              There is a reason those 60 guys are looking for a job and I am not. Which has nothing to do with a dispute over 1/2 a hour a day.

I like certain aspects of my job, much like any of you. Thats not the point.

If I was allowed to drive home, sure no biggie the gas I would save would more than compensate for the little time driving home. But I don't get that. We are, like I said, paid by the hour. We usually start at 8 in the morning and run calls until 5ish. No matter how far away the job is, 2 hours, 3, or 30 mins, it's on us to get back, although it is their gas.

My point was to find a actual link to a government website with the exact law, which I could not.

Everyone has brought up some very valid and enlightening points.

Why work for someone that will enforce certain rules on you that benefit him, then lack on others. Then ask someone to lie to a insurance company to save a few bucks?

For those of you that agree it is okay to make the guys drive back to the shop on their own time.... EXCLUDING commission or ticket time plumbers or anyone else not paid by the hour.... Think if I get in a wreck monday on the way back to the shop. Say some people died. Who pays that bill? My boss? Me? I mean I am not on the clock so I have no legal right to be driving a company vehicle.

Or do I LIE to the cops and insurance companies/court? I don't know about you guys but that is a situation I damn suredont want to be in.

Comment

Its their vehicle and their insurance and you have permission to operate the vehicle so regardless of if you are being compensated for your time or not their insurance is in force. that's from motor vehicle law not labor law.

As fas as if you got in an accident on your way home from work then I believe workman's comp would kick in.

Accidents To and From Work (Louisiana law)
                When Are They Covered by State Workers' Compensation?
                http://www.lwcc.com/article_detail.c...nav=50&print=1

http://answers.encyclopedia.com/ques...on-429099.html
                Last edited by Bob D.; 01-01-2011, 11:04 PM. Reason: added links
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Why come here? Talk to Your Boss, You feel You're being taking advantage of. If You Quit, or get run off,no sweat. You're not a bum like all those unemployed bums in this country. You'll have a better job in a flash!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you feel like you are being taken advantage of, join the union.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Why come here? Talk to Your Boss, You feel You're being taking advantage of. If You Quit, or get run off,no sweat. You're not a bum like all those unemployed bums in this country. You'll have a better job in a flash!
                      Those words are inspirational.Just don't send him down here.Ain't nobody hiring yet.It's dead

Comment

when i was in the union and had a company truck. we got paid for the time on the job site. this was all new construction.

the company paid for the gas, insurance, and maintenance.

the government taxed our travel pay as we were compensated with the free truck

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I remember having to work for a broken down shop in the early 1990's that I despised. Work was totally dead everywhere else. We drove the company trucks to the jobsite on our dime, and drove them back on our dime. The owner said, hey if you don't like it, quit! A year later when things picked up, I did; and others followed me. Sometimes when you have a family to feed and bills and a mortgage to pay you have to eat crow for awhile. Funny when work is smok'in they offer you the farm to come and work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                            I remember having to work for a broken down shop in the early 1990's that I despised. Work was totally dead everywhere else. We drove the company trucks to the jobsite on our dime, and drove them back on our dime. The owner said, hey if you don't like it, quit! A year later when things picked up, I did; and others followed me. Sometimes when you have a family to feed and bills and a mortgage to pay you have to eat crow for awhile. Funny when work is smok'in they offer you the farm to come and work for them.
                            Sponge Bob won't feed the kids or pay the rent, You're a good Man!

Comment

Back in the eighties my boss tried it with me,, I drove the truck with 2 helpers, half way through a job he wanted to stop paying every one for the ride back.
                              Things are different now .. But i just told him if I'm driving I'm getting paid.
                              I didn't push the issue for the helpers

Comment

Why come here and talk to you guys if I feel so raw about it? I respect your opinions.

I have already made my mind up on weather or not I am going to bring it up. I just like to see some creative banter back and forth.

And screw the union. All I have ever heard is horror stories, although... That is where the more artistic plumbers reside from what I hear. But then again, if all I was allowed to do was solder copper pipes together, you better believe it would look to good for sheetrock.

And why would workers compensation pay me for a wreck that happened on my time? While it is his van, if it is indeed still insured, then insurance would cover all that. Right?

I do like my job, plumbing is very rewarding, sometimes... But if I am going to held against the wall by myself, my boss, and my inspectors to do what is right when it comes to plumbing, no reason my boss can't withstand the same standards on the business side of things.

Comment

Working...
                                X