X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drive time

i worked for a shop in NY and had to pick up the truck at the shop .i did get paid to and from the shop but helper did not because they said he was not working just sitting in the truck .all the helper did was read the paper to the job .
    the boss said he was not going to pay me drive time to the job and i said then you have the truck on the job for me then . he said he will keep paying me
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

spoon. keep a record of your time. record all the times you drive the truck and you aren't paid. also who was with you. where you went. do not lie to the police to save your bosses arse. it wont and it will end up biting you. one reason we have workers comp is so you can't sue the company. if you ain't working you can sue. that is a lot more lucrative. the reason you need the record is to document your case to wage and hour. we get triple damages when we sue............... been my experience that when employers treat their employees like this and tick them off. and your are ticked. productivity ain't as good as it could be. you will be dwelling an this at work. ain't productive. on 2 occasions i have seen people stop work and loaf 2 hours because they didn't get paid to drive. 1 hour in morning and 1 hour in evening. i actually learned to pour lead from the first bunch. breid.................

Comment

I have never been paid union or nonunion for drive time. We always had to have our trucks loaded in the morning and drive to the job. Time started at 7 regardless and ended at 3:30 when you drove home. Even out of town 5 hours was on us. We did get perdium if staying out of town.

I know I can't bid jobs and add drive time to them. If I did I wouldn't need to worry about it, I would be at home crying about it.

Comment

im a union pipefitter and in our contract there is no paid drive time. our hours are typically 7-5:30 and we are expected to be on the job at our workplace by 7. so we drive there and home on our own time. some of our job sites are two hours or more from so that really sucks. most of our work is resort communitites so there are no cheap places to stay. even the foreman who have company trucks don't get paid drive time unless it is within the normal working hours. driving four hours a day really makes a good car pool indispensable.

Comment

Please pursue this matter and be honest with your results, see what becomes of your relationship with your boss.

You seem confident so this request shouldn't be a challenge.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar, I tell you what sir. The next closed door meeting me and him have I give you my word I will bring it up. Until then, thanks Breid for the advice, I will document everything.

I just find it funny that anyone would not pay their employees when they do something like that. Actually friday my boss asked me if I would use my personal vehicle to wrap a job up.

THAT gentlemen is what pisses me off most. Getting told point blank we won't even get paid to drive to the shop, then asked to drive my own vehicle in rush hour traffic for work? You ask me that sir you must be outside your effing mind.

Comment

if your at the shop in the morning and picking up supply's your getting paid ,then you get in the truck and time stops until you get to the job right .

then he should pay you for the drive to the job at least

at our shop if a helper has to go to the shop and get stuff for me and taks a spare van he is paid to and from the shop
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

In 30 yrs. I don't think I've ever gotten paid for drive time back.One thing I have understood out of the whole mess is that I worked like a horse and was treated like a dog.
                  I have gotten some pretty good bonuses, winter coats, loads of t-shirts (all of which I throw away,their not paying me to advertise): One boss gave me material to put radiant floor heat system in my house. That went really far with me, I put out like a whore for him.(and no I don't pilfer)

Comment

Originally posted by spoonleg View Post
                    Dunbar, I tell you what sir. The next closed door meeting me and him have I give you my word I will bring it up. Until then, thanks Breid for the advice, I will document everything.

I just find it funny that anyone would not pay their employees when they do something like that. Actually friday my boss asked me if I would use my personal vehicle to wrap a job up.

THAT gentlemen is what pisses me off most. Getting told point blank we won't even get paid to drive to the shop, then asked to drive my own vehicle in rush hour traffic for work? You ask me that sir you must be outside your effing mind.
                    I think you should think about a corporate or other profession if you are so pissed. You can see from here that in construction that is how it goes. It has been that way as far back as I have known. There are bennifits and drawbacks working for a small company. Big shops might have a better policy. Shop for one that does and get on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                      I think you should think about a corporate or other profession if you are so pissed. You can see from here that in construction that is how it goes. It has been that way as far back as I have known. There are bennifits and drawbacks working for a small company. Big shops might have a better policy. Shop for one that does and get on there.
                      It depends on his states labor laws. He might be getting ready for a judgement against his boss....and it does happen.

I hope he does because if the boss expects a guy to drive a company truck back to the office,he should be paid for it. Simple as that. If you work by a time clock its illegal to ask your employess to work off the clock here.....if you pay your guys a weekly salary then they are getting paid. So it may depend on the pay structure.

Comment

I think you should go work here and all your problems are solved.

I suggest that you shut your mouth and be glad you have a job. Or, you can go ahead and report him and get fired and your chances of getting another job in the immediate area as a plumber are just about nil, cause we talk to each other and believe me, your name will come up.

I don't pay my guys for drive time either. It's 8 hrs on the clock regardless. And If I you work 7 and drive 1, you're getting paid for 7. Do it too often and you are looking for another job. I hire plumbers to make me money. When they cost me money, I fire them. Work your but off, pay your dues and someday you can call the shots. It's no different than any schmuck that has to commute to work. They don't get paid for drive time either, regardless of who owns the vehicle.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NHMaster3015; 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Go work here and all your problems are solved.

I suggest that you shut your mouth and be glad you have a job. Or, you can go ahead and report him and get fired and your chances of getting another job in the immediate area as a plumber are just about nil, cause we talk to each other and believe me, your name will come up.
                          Thats what I say when I see unions on strike.

Comment

Just remember you don't get paid to stand in the unemployment line either.
                            Be lucky you have a job many don't
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Thats what I say when I see unions on strike.

eggggggggggzactly. Perspective depends greatly on whether or not one's stomach is full.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                eggggggggggzactly. Perspective depends greatly on whether or not one's stomach is full.
                                Finally we agree Listen to this nut ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSoAcToGe4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQVgo4XY7A
                                Last edited by TheMaster; 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X