X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship

Most States have various lengths of apprenticeships required in order to gain experience and then a substantial test of knowledge to recieve a license.

In my State it is a 5 year program. A breakdown of what we have to learn is as follows.

Year one: The Boss is a son of a b1t(#.

Year two: Payday is on Friday.

Year three: It goes down hill.

Year four: Don't chew your fingernails.

Year five: Review.

The hardest part of all of this is listening to others tell variations of this some 4 million times and then acting like the teller is so very clever.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Originally posted by plumber:
    Most States have various lengths of apprenticeships required in order to gain experience and then a substantial test of knowledge to recieve a license.

In my State it is a 5 year program. A breakdown of what we have to learn is as follows.

Year one: The Boss is a son of a b1t(#.

Year two: Payday is on Friday.

Year three: It goes down hill.

Year four: Don't chew your fingernails.

Year five: Review.

The hardest part of all of this is listening to others tell variations of this some 4 million times and then acting like the teller is so very clever.
    My God, plumber. It's bad enough we have to hear the variations of this at least once a week, now you're broadcasting that old war-horse for the few who haven't heard it.

When the guys down in woodworking read this, rest assured that come monday they will seek out any plumber on the jobsite, and he will be forced to laugh.

YOU, SIR, WILL BE HELD RESPONIBLE.

By the way, I also have to endure this: My last name is Schmidt. Therefore, every Christmas I receive at least one card that states on the front "To The Schmidt House", with a drawing of an outhouse below. They think it extra funny because I'm a plumber. I thought it was funny 36 years ago when I first saw it. But....after 40 cards it gets pretty hard to laugh.

dog
    the dog

Comment

I started out in HVAC and was a member of Local 108 in Los Angeles. Our apprenticeship was only four years long. I guess they figured we were smarter than plumbers.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

"I guess they figured we were smarter than plumbers."

Or had less to learn

Comment

Bob you beat me to it. Less to learn for sure.

Plumbdog10, So many posts have been so tense and serious lately I thought it might be fun to joke a bit. A greatway to break the ice on a pre-construction meeting with the other trade formen is to simply ask: Which way is down?

Schmidt eh? That must be brutal. At least its not Crapper, his family must really have had mixed emotions about his invention of the flush toilet.

Comment

FOR ME IT WAS A 4 YEAR UNION APPRENTICESHIP. 2 DAYS A WEEK IN SCHOOL FROM 6:45- 9:30 PM. THIS AFTER A FULL DAY IN THE FIELD.
            IT'S NOW 5 YEARS PLUS A YEAR OF PRE-APPRENTICESHIP AS A PIPE TRADESMAN.
            BACK IN 1981 IT WAS A $1685.00 INIATATION FEE FOR MY LOCAL. 100 TIMES HOURLY WAGE. ($16.85). THIS WAS PAYABLE OVER THE 4 YEARS ALONG WITH YOUR REGULAR DUES. WHEN YOU PASSED YOUR SCHOOL SEMESTER AND HOURS WORKED, YOU GOT, EARNED YOUR RAISE.
            AHH, THE GOOD OLD DAYS, I DON'T MISS IT.
            RICK.

Comment

Rick,

You mean you didn't get a year to review?

How could you remember what your boss was?

My apprenticeship started at age 16. Went to high school during the day and worked evenings. Family needed the cash. The local Unions weren't taking in any apprentices at the time so I had to wait a long time to gain membership. Long crappy hours with no benefits and bad pay till then. Outdated equipment and absolutely horrid conditions.

Recieved the better union training years later after the school of hard knocks. Anyway we can all look back and laugh at it now. But anyone ever says a plumber is overpaid hasn't a clue.

Comment

Back in 1970 our iniatation fee was $1,600 plus 1% of our pay. As I was working in HVAC and Local 108 is the sheet Metal Local we had to attend 4-years of RSES Class (Refrigeration Service Engineering Society) plus attend the Lennox, Carrier, Payne and Arkla schools.

The manufacture classes were 40 hour day time course which were held once a year and we were not paid for our time. That meant you knew you were going to lose a months pay per year attending the classes. All you could hope for was saving your vacation pay, which also came out of your check, to pay for the time off.

Now I remember why I don't like unions.

Mark

Comment

Mark,

Wouldn't you consider your classes the same as going to school. Most college students are not paid for their time and their courses cost far more than 1600 dollars.

Your opinion is your right, I only wish I had had the same opportunity as you.

On a lighter note, most plumbers know that we actually make water run up hill on every properly installed fixture. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Mark,

Wouldn't you consider your classes the same as going to school. Most college students are not paid for their time and their courses cost far more than 1600 dollars.

On a lighter note, most plumbers know that we actually make water run up hill on every properly installed fixture. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    plumber,

Hey, Hey ,Hey. Great thread, you were right, we needed some levity.

the dog.
                    the dog

Comment

Mark,

The difference is had I had a Union school to attend I would have been able to do it at night. Instead I had two nights each week of RSES and one night each week of a class taught at our shop. Then the manufacturer's classes were one month per year that you had to miss work to attend.

Being 20-years old with a family to support made it hard to lose 1/12 of my annual income each year. I don't regret taking the classes but I did have to go without lights in the house a few times. I'm not sure how many people could go a month without pay and not suffer a little for it.

Mark

Comment

Dog,
                        There is a very succesful line of car dealerships that now holds a huge percentage of the market in all domestic models in this part of the state.

The founders real name is Jack Schmitt. His best line and often repeated is: "If you can't find a great deal on a.... you don't know Jack Schmitt". I am sure you heard variations of this also.

Comment

Dog,
                          There is a very succesful line of car dealerships that now holds a huge percentage of the market in all domestic models in this part of the state.

The founders real name is Jack Schmitt. His best line and often repeated is: "If you can't find a great deal on a.... you don't know Jack Schmitt". I am sure you heard variations of this also.
                          Actually haven't. But I think it's damn funny.
                          [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          the dog
                          the dog

Comment

Bob you beat me to it. Less to learn for sure.

Plumbdog10, So many posts have been so tense and serious lately I thought it might be fun to joke a bit. A greatway to break the ice on a pre-construction meeting with the other trade formen is to simply ask: Which way is down?

Schmidt eh? That must be brutal. At least its not Crapper, his family must really have had mixed emotions about his invention of the flush toilet.
                            By the way I'm thinking of putting togather a petionion, and sending it to the pope, asking to name Thomas Crapper as the patron saint of plumbers.

the dog
                            the dog

Comment

Working...
                            X