Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Hacktown (video+pics)

Customer complaint: House smells
    After a little looking around we noticed that the smell became more pronounced when the HVAC systems were on... Time to do a little exploring. Downflow HVAC System...

Cut a hole and look inside (OH Crap literally)

The supply Air Distro Box is concrete and below grade... Established that the liquid was not A/C condensate or groundwater I decided I had better take a look at the plumbing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEyPZ...er_profilepage

It would appear that the Cast Iron is rotten and has saturated the soil under the slab.

The plan right now is to flip the HVAC systems (convert to upflow) and abandon the supply air registers.

-Fill the ductwork up with something Pump concrete in or a grout??? Your thoughts...

This Gem starts next week ( I will take lots of pics)
    Last edited by OkieBill; 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM.

Re: Trouble in Hacktown (video+pics)

If the cast iron drain is rotten...then would filling the duct work with concrete just bleed into the drain? Or did I miss something...?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
      If the cast iron drain is rotten...then would filling the duct work with concrete just bleed into the drain? Or did I miss something...?
      I believe that overtime the blackwater has saturated the soil under the slab the waste then made its way into any cavity it could find..

It takes the plenum area about 3 days of slow seepage to fill back up after it has been pumped (what seeps in is without a doubt sewer effluent)

I flow checked all of the sewer lines in the hopes of finding one that would cause the plenums to fill up faster, I could not find any...

The cast iron is compromised as it has roots it is and what appear to be a couple of rotten bellies starting at 17'

To make a long story shorter...Based on the layout I dont believe there is any risk of clogging a sewer line from filling the ducts with something.

Comment

Would that be a candidate for lining ?

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          I believe that overtime the blackwater has saturated the soil under the slab the waste then made its way into any cavity it could find..

It takes the plenum area about 3 days of slow seepage to fill back up after it has been pumped (what seeps in is without a doubt sewer effluent)

I flow checked all of the sewer lines in the hopes of finding one that would cause the plenums to fill up faster, I could not find any...

The cast iron is compromised as it has roots it is and what appear to be a couple of rotten bellies starting at 17'

To make a long story shorter...Based on the layout I dont believe there is any risk of clogging a sewer line from filling the ducts with something.
          OH....well I say based on what information that i see then what the heck...give it a swirl....
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
            Would that be a candidate for lining ?
            It could be... Though I'm guessing /estimating that i would need to reline about 90' of line. Almost cheaper to jackhammer I'm guessing

Comment

Working...
            X