Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kinked Soft Copper T&P Relief Line

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    That's a good thing because it the vent does malfunction you probably won't have to replace the regulator, there won't be a house left.

I am truly amazed that the city/state allows 2lb regulators to be installed in a residence. NFPA 58 prohibits it and there is not a mechanical inspector in a thousand mile radius that would allow that. More on point though is why run 2lbs inside the building? You can drop down to operating pressure outside the building with a 2nd stage regulator ( which is a better choice because it has a larger diaphragm and therefore is less susceptible to lock up) Even in commercial applications we are required to hard pipe the vent to the exterior of the building and all interior gas lines that carry high pressure must be labeled. Furthermore all high pressure gas lines within the building must be hard piped and properly supported and protected from damage. But if your city allows it than it must be good yes?
    All the gas explosions I hear about are always out west and up north.

How do explain thousands of them installed if no one would approve it?

2lb systems are ran because it easier and cheaper. Simple as that.

The pressure is dropped from 34-50 psi at the meter regulator to 2lb and then its dropepd again at the outlet.

Sure its great and we dont have problems with it....and again for the 5th or 6th time,it is medium pressure or an elevated pressure system...and is not considered HIGH pressure. 2lb systems are marked with tags every 3' on the pipe with stickers Want a pic of the stickers? I have some ya know

Comment

I'd love to see you both working on a job together.

I would pay to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        All the gas explosions I hear about are always out west and up north.
        Here you go just a few links of gas explosions down south.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/70682222.html (Nov 22, 2009)

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/24/us...n-alabama.html (Jan 23, 1999)

http://www.decaturdaily.com/stories/...critical,59749 (March 9, 2010)

http://www.demopolistimes.com/2009/0...on-closes-uwa/ (Jan 22, 2009)
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post

I would pay to see that.
          He would make a great helper

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Thats 4 in the last 11 years and one was caused by a backhoe and one sounds like the guy tried to kill himself and the other two where under investigation. Thats not too bad. What does google say about the north?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Thats 4 in the last 11 years and one was caused by a backhoe and one sounds like the guy tried to kill himself and the other two where under investigation. Thats not too bad. What does google say about the north?
              there where a lot more than that. I just figured I post a few for you since you said you seem to only hear about the ones up north. Was only trying to be helpful TM. Oh btw I do not use Google Lycos is better.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ron, I think he works for the DNC
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post

I would pay to see that.
                  Like I said " THEY MAKE A LOVELY COUPLE "
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Nhmaster when you get ready to explain why a 12" piece of 3/8 od copper will not run 35,000 btu of gas...I will be listening

Comment

For all I care you can run 3/8 pex.

I spend my days teaching plumbing to high school kids, two nights a week teaching plumbing to apprentices and 4 nights a month teaching HVAC to adult ed students. If you are willing to come up with the tuition I'll be glad to include you also. By this point in your 25 year career you should be able to answer the question all by yourself. and no, you won't listen, you never do. All you do is twist the question and avoid the answer.

Another one that needs the lock
                      sigpic

Comment

For all I care you can run 3/8 pex.

I spend my days teaching plumbing to high school kids, two nights a week teaching plumbing to apprentices and 4 nights a month teaching HVAC to adult ed students. If you are willing to come up with the tuition I'll be glad to include you also. By this point in your 25 year career you should be able to answer the question all by yourself. and no, you won't listen, you never do. All you do is twist the question and avoid the answer.

Another one that needs the lock
                        Actually the gas company use to install 3/8 od polybutyleme tubing for gaslights.....they would flare it.

Now please explain why a 3/8" od copper gas line will not carry 35,000 BTU like you claim earlier in the thread. I'm all ears

This thread doesn't need to be closed just because you dont have an answer.

Copper.org says 3/8 will carry the load.
                        Dormont and brasscraft gas connectors says it will carry the gas load.
                        My manometer proved it will carry the gas load.

What say you?

Comment

I say the depending on the footage it will marginally carry the load but I also say that no self respecting gas service tech would even consider installing that set up. Put the 2nd stage regulator outside the house and run proper sized pipe to the appliance. Those small appliance regulators are famous for lock up under high demand and you haven't had a problem because most times the appliance will adjust by under firing the burner. Just because a thing can be done does not mean that it should be done, regardless of the cost and when you go down that cheap it out path you might as well go stock shelves at the Wal-Mart. It's not about choice, it's about professional practices. So go ahead and keep doing whatever you want to do but don't try to justify it to the rest of us.
                          sigpic

Comment

if it's not a high pressure regulator then there is no way there is enough gas volume running through a 3/8" copper line to carry a 35,000 btu burner.
                            I say the depending on the footage it will marginally carry the load but I also say that no self respecting gas service tech would even consider installing that set up. Put the 2nd stage regulator outside the house and run proper sized pipe to the appliance. Those small appliance regulators are famous for lock up under high demand and you haven't had a problem because most times the appliance will adjust by under firing the burner. Just because a thing can be done does not mean that it should be done, regardless of the cost and when you go down that cheap it out path you might as well go stock shelves at the Wal-Mart. It's not about choice, it's about professional practices. So go ahead and keep doing whatever you want to do but don't try to justify it to the rest of us.
                            I see things have changed some since that 1st post about the 35,000 BTU load.

I'm glad you understand now that it works....and now your taking the position that you just wouldn't do it. Thats fine. You can have your opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Please try to keep your posts in context. When I made that post you had not yet identified the regulator.
                              sigpic

Comment

Please try to keep your posts in context. When I made that post you had not yet identified the regulator.
                                It was in context. The pipe in question was on the low pressure side of the regulator. You claimed the 3/8 od tube wouldn't carry it. It does and I explained how i checked it......but you didn;t understand that ...so i posted a link...you ignored that....so i posted the content of the link on how to use a manometer to check the pressure while the burner is firing and when its not firing......you ignored that.

Its all in the posts...go back and review it.

Comment

Working...
                                X