X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinked Soft Copper T&P Relief Line

The door would not even shut to the room.

This heater has been like that for 7 years. The thermo was set to the max. 75gal nat. gas. The homeowner said after the plumber left she tried to shut the door but it wouldn't. It was hitting the relief line. That is not the reason the relief is kinked,the bad kink is near the backside of the heater and not in a location that would be caused by the owner trying to force the door shut. Crappy work done with copper. Who would have thunk

I asked why didn't she call him back right then.....said she felt sorry for him because he was real fat and slow
    I immediately dropped that conversation and went to work giving her options to correct the problem.

Re: Kinked Soft Copper T&P Relief Line

That's a beauty.

Comment

Kink? That's not a kink!
      Thats a "flow reduction compression".
      Obviously this hack....ummmm,,,Plumber was thinking ahead. He knew it would take the HO a long time time to close the door so he added this "flow reduction compression" to give the HO adequate time leave the area if the T&P trips.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Would be interested to see your correction...nice job for a fat guy...ha...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
          Would be interested to see your correction...nice job for a fat guy...ha...

Comment

Very nice and neat and clean....you must not be a fat guy or lazy....( no disrespect to overweight people intended)
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

if he was on electrician that would been done with the bumper bender. lol. breid...................

Comment

what's it do for combustion air with the door closed ?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  what's it do for combustion air with the door closed ?
                  It has a vent at the top of the door and the bottom.

Comment

What hangs that 3/8 soft copper gas line so that some kid does not grab hold of it and snap it off?

That is an installation that is a shining example of why there will never be a unified code, because 90% of jurisdictions would never allow a high pressure regulator to be installed in a residential application. The regulator should be outside the structure.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      What hangs that 3/8 soft copper gas line so that some kid does not grab hold of it and snap it off?

That is an installation that is a shining example of why there will never be a unified code, because 90% of jurisdictions would never allow a high pressure regulator to be installed in a residential application. The regulator should be outside the structure.
                      Thats not high pressure its medium pressure. Nothing would stop a child from tearing the gas line out...what would keep that same kid from turning on the stove burner and letting raw gas out into the house?
                      Nothing

Does the code allow log lighters? Sure they do and thats just a steel pipe with holes in it with a manual valve to control flow....no safety other than removing the key from the valve and then your relying on that valve to hold.

Log lighters are contrary to common sense but its legal. i would never leave an opened ended pipe not capped on a live gas line just because the valves off and the handles gone(key removed). Code approved baby!!!!!!
                      Last edited by TheMaster; 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

if it's not a high pressure regulator then there is no way there is enough gas volume running through a 3/8" copper line to carry a 35,000 btu burner.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          if it's not a high pressure regulator then there is no way there is enough gas volume running through a 3/8" copper line to carry a 35,000 btu burner.
                          Thats why they have a test port on water heater control valves....so you can fire them off with a manometer attached to check pressure drop.....it checked out.

Click on this link and then convert CFH to BTU(note the lenght of 3/8..in the chart its 10') And they allow for fittings and pressure drop

http://www.copper.org/applications/f...s/table04.html

Comment

Anyone ever see the size of the internal gas way that leads into a 1/2" regulator from the inlet?

Comment

how come there is no vent to the outside on the regulator
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X