• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just One Code!

Okay JC sell your position.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Just One Code!

It actually would work, but would have to be amended for certain parts of the country's climate.

Comment

Cities already have their ammendments/addendums.I'm ready for a universal.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Okay JC sell your position.

Mark
        The PRESSURE!

The better question for me is why multiple codes?

We're all putting in similar fixtures with similar DFU's. (I'm not gonna' go round and round about the stamps)

1.6 gpf & 1.28 gpf for example. Then there are different DWV measurements for these same fixtures within the design minimums. No?

That completely defeats any strict enforcement of such measurements in that you have the same fixtures being installed with different measurements.

Meanwhile, all are working.

In short, if the fixtures are of the same design & can be used in other codes, then it is completely idiotic to have different codes. The madness makes no sense.

Everyone should be able to follow one book. Granted, it will make things more boring because there will be less "we have to do it this way here". But that's the way it should be.

Does the exact same toilet, sink, faucet, shower, tub, valve, etc. operate differently in Nevada than in TN? And please don't anyone mention the !#$!!# Coriolis Effect from down under.

Finally, addendums can be easily included for Seismic situations, freezing, acid soils etc.

Same fixtures.....there will never be a reason for different codes.

J.C.

Comment

Okay I have heard arguments about it not working because there are different conditions for different areas. I really do not think that is a realistic deterrent because it has already been addresses. For instance the Codes will say you must protect a pipe from freezing whether you are in California or Alaska. In addition all of the Codes allow local Amendments to address local concerns.

Where I see the real problem is which Code would survive and which Code should step aside? The ICC writes the IPC, the PHCC writes the NPC and the IAPMO writes the UPC. The ICC and IAPMO almost had a deal but ICC tried to rewrite the deal at the last minute. I don't believe they will ever put the same effort into it again.

Mark

Comment

Okay I have heard arguments about it not working because there are different conditions for different areas. I really do not think that is a realistic deterrent because it has already been addresses. For instance the Codes will say you must protect a pipe from freezing whether you are in California or Alaska. In addition all of the Codes allow local Amendments to address local concerns.

Where I see the real problem is which Code would survive and which Code should step aside? The ICC writes the IPC, the PHCC writes the NPC and the IAPMO writes the UPC. The ICC and IAPMO almost had a deal but ICC tried to rewrite the deal at the last minute. I don't believe they will ever put the same effort into it again.

Mark
            It seems it is more about organizations protecting their $ and publishing more than anything to me.

I'm considering going before the state to stop the ability of local enforcement to amend the code to their concerns without submitting a code change that must be approved by the state and published on their website first.

For my state (NC) almost all of a local city's "concerns" should be adapted statewide or not allowed at all.

J.C.

Comment

Many years ago, I had to move a 4" C.I. kaffer(sp) wye I installed, because I was 8" too far away from the vent for the toilet. Yes it was my fault for not paying attention, but did those 8" really matter?

The trap distance away from a vent is what bothers me most with these codes.

Comment

I feel like Highlander waving a big wrench around.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  For my state (NC) almost all of a local city's "concerns" should be adapted statewide or not allowed at all.
                  J.C.
                  My area has the same exact problem. We finally went to a state wide Plumbing code a few short years ago (except Pittsburgh & Philly) but each jurisdiction follows a different version of the I.P.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    It seems it is more about organizations protecting their $ and publishing more than anything to me.

I'm considering going before the state to stop the ability of local enforcement to amend the code to their concerns without submitting a code change that must be approved by the state and published on their website first.

J.C.
                    I'm sure that is a big part but the truth is there are significant difference in the Codes and in their adoption methods and I feel that is the real issue. Even a lot of Inspectors under the ICC have told me they wish their State were IAPMO.

Mark

Comment

I'm sure that is a big part but the truth is there are significant difference in the Codes and in their adoption methods and I feel that is the real issue. Even a lot of Inspectors under the ICC have told me they wish their State were IAPMO.

Mark
                      There shouldn't be. Agreed.

I have no problem with combining for the best and/or strictest of codes. Just give me one thing to keep track of and bid with.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        My area has the same exact problem. We finally went to a state wide Plumbing code a few short years ago (except Pittsburgh & Philly) but each jurisdiction follows a different version of the I.P.C.
                        We are in the same boat all we have here is the IL coad book and the Chicago coad book only good thing about the Chicago CB is theres no little areas to add addendums but out of Chicago you are in the IL coad and every Tom D!ck and Harry plumbing inspector adds there own addendums in there towns . I wish I could remember the town but up close to the boarder of WC. the company I work for was bidding 2 houses out for a builder and they ended up passing the job up when they found out the 80 year old part time plumbing inspector still required galvi. screw pipe for water I meen welcome to the 21 century budy and cast and gal. screw for sewer I was almost waiting to see if he wanted us to wipe a lead joint for the water service
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

A unified code is more than possible, just not probable. Mostly because of our old friend....money. Too many fingers in the pot so to speak.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            Many years ago, I had to move a 4" C.I. kaffer(sp) wye I installed, because I was 8" too far away from the vent for the toilet. Yes it was my fault for not paying attention, but did those 8" really matter?

The trap distance away from a vent is what bothers me most with these codes.
                            The flowline zero's out at the vent by the time the trap arm reaches it at the predetermined distance stated in the code.
                            Funny that a w/c trap arm can be infinite under IPC.We are maxed at 6',that's including riser.So I guess toilet's don't need a vent after all.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              The flowline zero's out at the vent by the time the trap arm reaches it at the predetermined distance stated in the code.
                              Funny that a w/c trap arm can be infinite under IPC.We are maxed at 6',that's including riser.So I guess toilet's don't need a vent after all.
                              Exactly, I am hoping to install at least one 50' trap arm at my cabin in Utah just to watch the inspectors reaction.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X