X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Putty potty

I have 5lb tubs of Sta-put on my truck that is half used (for faucet installs) and its going on over a year old and its still as soft as the day I bought it. Oh and its missing its lid as well.

I have pulled water closets that I have set with putty, and the putty still there and still pliable. I scrape off the old stuff and use new since I do not like to rework putty that has had years of waste flowing on it.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      I have 5lb tubs of Sta-put on my truck that is half used (for faucet installs) and its going on over a year old and its still as soft as the day I bought it. Oh and its missing its lid as well.

I have pulled water closets that I have set with putty, and the putty still there and still pliable. I scrape off the old stuff and use new since I do not like to rework putty that has had years of waste flowing on it.

Hey do you happen to seal around the perimeter of a toilet base with putty? Does anyone actually do that?

WOW i use putty for my faucets and I go through six or seven 5lb tubs a year...maybe more.

Comment

I use a assortment of waxes depending what it needs..
        How many seals can you get out of a 5 lb tub ? 6 to 10

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          I use a assortment of waxes depending what it needs..
          How many seals can you get out of a 5 lb tub ? 6 to 10
          About three, I do seal around the base of the water closet with putty. I clean the flange off set the water closet with out the putty first, then take my pencil and trace out the outline of the water closet. Then I lay my putty seal on the flange and then run a bead of putty around the traced line.

Comment

I've started using wax seals on faucets. It's a b!tch to get a horned one under there.

J.C.

Comment

About three, I do seal around the base of the water closet with putty. I clean the flange off set the water closet with out the putty first, then take my pencil and trace out the outline of the water closet. Then I lay my putty seal on the flange and then run a bead of putty around the traced line.
              Ever have anyone complain of the color? Simply amazing You know I read that once while at home depot in a black&decker plumbing book but have never seen it done.

Comment

Never had any complaints since you can not see the putty after cutting it away and caulking around the bowl. Its the way I was shown how to set a water closet by the plumber that apprenticed me. He was plumbing since the 1940's. After I got my license, he moved to Vegas due to health issues from the asbestos that he had to put on the pipes back then. He lived for about 5 years before the illness took its toll on him.

I am great full for him accepting me as his apprentice, and teaching me his knowledge of plumbing. Just I am grateful for my father teaching me the aspects of drain cleaning. I now have the pleasure of teaching my father the new aspects of drain cleaning the video inspections, small jetters for residential lines and no-dig pipe repair.

Comment

Never had any complaints since you can not see the putty after cutting it away and caulking around the bowl. .
                  AHHH so you use the rare "combo" method....caulk and putty.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    AHHH so you use the rare "combo" method....caulk and putty.
                    No I do not do it the "rare combo" method, I do it the way I was shown and taught by the plumber that apprenticed me.

Comment

No I do not do it the "rare combo" method, I do it the way I was shown and taught by the plumber that apprenticed me.
                      Whats the reasons behind using both? Does the caulk stick to the putty after the caulk dries?

Comment

damn ratz, I bet you never have problems with the toilets you set after all that.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                          damn ratz, I bet you never have problems with the toilets you set after all that.
                          No leaks, no rocking bowls, no call backs. That is what I like about the way I do it.

Comment

I did my first putty seal on a toilet a couple of weeks ago, had run out of waxes somehow. I was debating doing it more often, I just don't have the feel for how much putty to use.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

im gonna try that next w/c install, always used bowl wax and hard shims due to sorry tile never thought about bowl putty

Comment

I've found slip joint drains under fixtures that had putty beads around all the joints. Anyone do that here?

Comment

Working...
                                X