Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Putty potty

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
    Seen it plenty, never done it myself though.
    I'm sure you dont because the seal is not made on the outside of the joint. Its pointless hackness.

Comment

lets see i have well over 200 wax rings of assorted sizes at the shop and only a couple pounds of putty in stock.

can you guess what i use for toilets and what i use for disposals and pop ups

the only toilets i come across that were installed with putty were original installs from the pre 40's. and trying to pull these without breaking off the toilet horn is a 50/50 gamble.
      '
      putty does go bad when left too long. i have new unopened tubs that are worthless.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Putty does go bad if the lid is left off for a long time, but would it go bad in the moist environment of a sewer?
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
          Putty does go bad if the lid is left off for a long time, but would it go bad in the moist environment of a sewer?
          Yes it will and does dry out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            I've found slip joint drains under fixtures that had putty beads around all the joints. Anyone do that here?
            Yes ,works great when You have a stubborn leaker.

After it's all made up I run just hot water for a while and hand re tighten. Guessing many do ?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Yes ,works great when You have a stubborn leaker.

After it's all made up I run just hot water for a while and hand re tighten. Guessing many do ?
              You run a bead of putty around the outside of the slip joint nut? The seal is made under the nut where the washer meets the socket.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                Unbelievably I was sold some wax rings recently that went bad. ???

These rings got hard as a freaking rock, warming them up did absolutely nothing. You could swing a hammer at one and it would indent it, but you would not hit the floor with one swing.

Knowing this latest revelation, I'm pretty effing pissed because if I start getting leaks on those rings because they are contracting under the toiet, I'm going to cast a spell down upon thee.
                the company I work for buys wax ring by the truck load they get black swan wax rings about 2 1/2 years ago they had a huge batch that was bad you could tell because the wax ring was white not golden lyellowis like it is and they were harder then normal but I was finding this out because all the leaks in the condos they were not sealing at all we had two pull and reset around 100 toilets and black swan paid amazingly
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

You run a bead of putty around the outside of the slip joint nut? The seal is made under the nut where the washer meets the socket.
                  What do You expect from a dumb carpenter , works though
                  Ps ,I pack the inside cavity of the nut.
                  Last edited by toolaholic; 01-08-2011, 07:39 PM.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    What do You expect from a dumb carpenter , works though
                    Ps ,I pack the inside cavity of the nut.
                    I have never used any Putty under slip nuts or over slip nuts. I use teflon or some string packing,graphite whatever. But always at the sealing edge,not on the outside of the nut. If you dont have any trouble do it how you like.

Comment

Thats why I like the Hodes Han-Tite slip washers, no need to put putty, Teflon tape or graphite string under the nut.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Thats why I like the Hodes Han-Tite slip washers, no need to put putty, Teflon tape or graphite string under the nut.
                        Do they make them for 1 3/8" tube for leg tubs? If not try some packing.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          What brand were these Dunbar?
                          The defective wax rings for toilets:

Anchor Bowl Ring by Solder Seal GUNK G23D

The one I have in my office right now isn't even 2 months old and it's like a freaking stone.

I noticed on another brand (can't remember the brand name) that had hard spots in the wax.

You know,

Wax rings used to be the guaranteed "decent" product, but it seems like they've got to **** with every damn thing in plumbing trade to create job security.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've found slip joint drains under fixtures that had putty beads around all the joints. Anyone do that here?
                            I also will do it on stubborn leaker. I used it yesterday on a sink with a gummed up gal nipple that wouldn't seal. Works great.

Comment

poly slip joint washer seal fine.

the ground joint unions on our la pattern traps sometimes will require a little tape or putty

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                                I also will do it on stubborn leaker. I used it yesterday on a sink with a gummed up gal nipple that wouldn't seal. Works great.
                                Under the nut or on the outside of the slip joint nut? I'm talking about putting it on the outside of the nut...I find that on occasion.

Comment

Working...
                                X