X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Traps and Slip Joint Washers

Back in the day we used to have a sales representative come to our shop from Hodes. He show us some new products that they got in and take our order for any of the items we wanted. One of the things I liked was they carried a good quality 17 Ga P-trap. I was just at a job where I installed one of these 10 years ago, and it still like the day I installed it. Its a good quality 17 ga trap, with heavy brass compression nuts, and the slip joint washers are very good quality as well. http://www.hodesco.com/default.aspx?...temcode=50-509

They also have a slip joint washer they call Han-Tite These things really impressed me. You replace the old dried out slip joint washers with these, and as the name says Han-Tite and no leaks. What impressed me is after righting the slip joint nut hand tight with these washers it is very difficult to pull apart the pipes from each other. http://www.hodesco.com/default.aspx?...temcode=51-597

So there is my preferred traps and slip joint washers. Do you all go that little bit extra to offer your customers a good quality product? A few plumbers I know will only carry the plastic P-trap assemblies and install them stating there is no way their customers will pay all that money for a 17 ga. P-trap.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: P-Traps and Slip Joint Washers

I carry 17 ga,sch 40 traps and cheapo plastic traps. Take your pick.

Comment

Ron, Thanks for sharing the link for the Hodes website. Been on it like a "kid in a candy store" looking at all the stuff and even learned some. Looks like I have to download the whole Hodes catalog, do a show and tell at our next family meeting then decide what we each want just so we can split the shipping/handling costs

Keek those links, tips and tricks but more importantly your very informative posts coming...God Bless!

Comment

Heavy gauge p-traps are always nice..If thats what they have and need a replacement thats what they get..If they have pvc I always try and install 708x p-traps with chrome locknuts with a seperate trap adapter again with chrome locknut from the tailpiece to the trap...If they have a bag trap I will usually want to replace it as they are garbage . again just my .02
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I usually replace chrome with chrome. I use Wolverine Brass 17ga traps with their "Big Orange) beveled slip joint washers. Never had one leak, they also seal hand tight.

I find many customers want plastic in concealed areas, as it's cheaper and no one sees it. Pedestal sinks or laundry tubs, often they want chrome for looks.

I stock and offer both plastic and Brass.

Comment

I've bought some things from Hodes in the past. Never bought from Wolverine brass, but I know they are expensive to deal with.

I prefer Barnett for most of my bulk items, and J.A. Sexauer(expensive) for my faucet repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              I've bought some things from Hodes in the past. Never bought from Wolverine brass, but I know they are expensive to deal with.

I prefer Barnett for most of my bulk items, and J.A. Sexauer(expensive) for my faucet repair.
              WB prices are better than Hodes in most cases and a better MADE IN USA product than just about any trap you find at a supply house.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                WB prices are better than Hodes in most cases and a better MADE IN USA product than just about any trap you find at a supply house.
                In our case Hodes was cheaper than Wolverine brass. But then again our Hodes Rep is a good friend of my fathers.

I don't doubt Wolverine brass at all, as I've seen their traps before, and I agree that make a nice product.

But price dictates everything.

Comment

I only go brass if it is for show , like a pedestal
                  I dont have trouble with plastic traps, and for the cost if it dont look good or has to much crud in it when i take it apart, i change it its cheep, everybody's happy and my hands are still clean

Comment

I think my Hodes rep finally died off. He stopped coming in a few months ago. He knew when to hit me too. He'd show up at 4:15 on Friday afternoon and plant himself in a chair telling me icefishing stories as a child until I finally bought something. Crazy old coot. I'll miss him

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I think my Hodes rep finally died off. He stopped coming in a few months ago. He knew when to hit me too. He'd show up at 4:15 on Friday afternoon and plant himself in a chair telling me icefishing stories as a child until I finally bought something. Crazy old coot. I'll miss him
                      I think i had his cousin..no ice fishing...too hot down here They all are about the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X