X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who molded you into a good plumber

Ratz talking of His Dad, and Mentor, moved Me, in the putty potty post. Myself, it's this Ridgid family, I'm still an apprentice. I know You all have a story to tell.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Who molded you into a good plumber

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Ratz talking of His Dad, and Mentor, moved Me, in the putty potty post. Myself, it's this Ridgid family, I'm still an apprentice. I know You all have a story to tell.
    I had 13 master plumbers in my family at one time and a few journeyman. They all taught me. 2 years of trade school and I taught the teacher a few things

Comment

The owner's of the first two plumbing companies.
      The second one I stayed with the longest.First contractor I retired.

Comment

Kind of funny but I had a double class in high school of plumbing in 11 & 12 grade in Nashua HS with a great teacher that was a master plumber I also took construction at same time both years my first 4 classes were trade school class made school coast by whats funny is when I graduated I moved out to IL to go to school for auto at UTI and spent 20K to get out and become a UA plumber met my now wife thats why I stayed but times suck out here now so we are going back to NH in spring so realy I molded myself into a good plumber I think
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

My Father brought me into the trade at the age of 13. From being a gopher to brushing/vacuuming out baffle tubes on boilers was the start.

He has been in Plumbing & Heating for about 45 years. He tells me all the time.."Son, what I have forgotten in this trade, you have yet to learn".

Comment

I wonder, how do any of us KNOW we are good plumbers? Certainly I try, as I'm sure we all do. But does that make us "good" by definition? (Doubt it) There are always things I could do better or more efficiently or could have foreseen if I had thought about something differently. So, what defines a good plumber?

I'm sure many characteristics can be added to this list. I personally find I come up short on the show up timely trait. Some jobs just go longer, and emergencies come up. So I find myself making calls to reschedule.

knowledge of pertinent subject matter
            deals honestly with customers

installs piping system conscienciously, to code

shows up on job in a timely fashion
            Last edited by geno gardner; 01-08-2011, 11:51 PM.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I am not a plumber, but I learned a ton from the old time welders I worked with, my Dad, and my Grandfather. The job I am at now I work with a "semi retired" master plumber and another journeyman(yet they are both plant mechanics, with plumbing companies on the side), and they are teaching me the plumbing trade(code, heat and hot water installs, steam systems, etc... all the fun stuff). I told them I am a welder and don't care if I learn it or not. They told me it is a free education take it or leave it, I watch and learn.

Comment

I grew up in the service trucks with my old man. I learned to read reading street signs in route to service calls. I was a gopher, ditchdigger, foreman, and now the owner. It helps when you start at the bottom. You appreciate the success more.

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                  Kind of funny but I had a double class in high school of plumbing in 11 & 12 grade in Nashua HS with a great teacher that was a master plumber I also took construction at same time both years my first 4 classes were trade school class made school coast by whats funny is when I graduated I moved out to IL to go to school for auto at UTI and spent 20K to get out and become a UA plumber met my now wife thats why I stayed but times suck out here now so we are going back to NH in spring so realy I molded myself into a good plumber I think
                  Who was your instructor in Nashua? I bet I know him.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Probably ? You took His JOB !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Ron Porier I hope I spelled his last name right nic named MR. P the funny thing he wrot a letter for me to UTI for approval to help get in at same time his son went
                      Last edited by post plumber; 01-14-2011, 08:49 PM.
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

had him for 2 years one of the greatest guys I met wish I worked under him longer then just high school but I still learned a lot He was master lis. in maine, NH, and the city of Mass holes If I remember right he was an inspecter also
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Probably ? You took His JOB !
                          that would take some Biiiiiiiiiiig feet the best thing about his class even though it was high school you thought you were working out in the feild the way he would yell and scream and sware at you the best part was evary morning almost doughnuts and coffee this was the second year if you were fortunat enough to pass the first year class
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                          X