Rpz at lowes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rpz at lowes

iam walking in the plumbing isle at lowes and what do i see??????????????
    Attached Files

Re: Rpz at lowes

Originally posted by SEWERRAT66 View Post
    Good to know they have them if you need one and dont stock them yourself.

Comment

Let them sell them junk 009 RPZ's I tear more of them out than a little bit. I just had a call where the business owner bought and installed his own RPZ, he needed me to do the certification test. When i got there it was a 009 leaking like mad, also installed at the City main by the meter. After explaining to the owner that first the city does not allow a backflow preventer a on the main like that due to the city is a low psi water supply. Also that the 009 foul easily and will always spit water at the relief port.

So he hired me to install the backflow preventers in the required spots in his business (soap dispenser, espresso machine, dish washer). And certify each valve. I do like the Watts 909 valve, and also like the Apollo backlow preventers.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SEWERRAT66 View Post
        Curious if you have installed any Watts 919 's and from one backflow tester to another what is your favorite brand and model to install/ work on?
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

that's funny rat, I just commented on that in the PEX at HD thread. I was not aware that they were doing this yet...I'm not sure if they do here...at least I haven't noticed it yet...maybe they are.

Like I said the next step is going to be a half hour certification class for backflow testing...then when you leave the course you can go to there rental department and rent the test kit for $29.95.

This is just getting ridiculous.

There needs to be some kind of movement against this type of crap!

As I said in my other post you should have to be at least on record as working for a licensed plumber/HVAC (a registered apprentice at the very least) in order to buy certain things. And the only reason I say apprentice is you know that alot of licensed guys aren't going to be gophers.

The fact that any dimwit can buy gas piping(flex or solid), water piping, water heaters and cross connection devices is ludicrous.

There should be more standards than the almighty dollar...sad.

Comment

It seems that the big boxes are taking more and more from us. Where does it stop?

Comment

I like the box stores because they are open on Sunday and till 9 and they have more than just plumbing items. I typically dont shop there for plumbing but it depends on the job.

Comment

We have plumbing supply shops that are open 24/7 and a few for a small fee that will open their doors anytime after hours. I rather deal with them for my plumbing supplies than a big box store.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Let them sell them junk 009 RPZ's I tear more of them out than a little bit. I just had a call where the business owner bought and installed his own RPZ, he needed me to do the certification test. When i got there it was a 009 leaking like mad, also installed at the City main by the meter. After explaining to the owner that first the city does not allow a backflow preventer a on the main like that due to the city is a low psi water supply. Also that the 009 foul easily and will always spit water at the relief port.

So he hired me to install the backflow preventers in the required spots in his business (soap dispenser, espresso machine, dish washer). And certify each valve. I do like the Watts 909 valve, and also like the Apollo backlow preventers.
                  I really like the Conbraco RPZ's. (Apollo). The Watt's 009's are crap and I hate rebuilding them and am usually successful in convincing the owner to go with a better valve. Today I would replace them with a Conbraco. The Watt's 909 is a great RPZ but who wants to pay that much? Their pricing is ludicrous imo.

I used to love Wilkins (Zurn) and installed many Wilkins 975 XL RPZs but had one fail in such a way that it flooded the basement of an apartment building. The end of the relief valve piston failed. Broke right off. About four months after I installed it new. It was plastic and the end of the piston broke off at the o-ring so the o-ring collapsed. Since there was nothing to stop the water from flowing freely out of the atmospheric port at the end of the relief valve the water flowed. (Not the normal drain opening, the 1/16" inch diameter hole in the relief valve cover.) You can't believe how much water can come out of that. It's a design failure as far as I'm concerned. Untill that piston is constructed of brass or SS in the future, or, if they place the o-ring further up the piston so the end past the o-ring has more support than 1/8" of lip behind it I can't install them in good conscience.

Today it's Conbraco. I've installed a bunch and have 100% success and had zero problems.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    We have plumbing supply shops that are open 24/7 and a few for a small fee that will open their doors anytime after hours. I rather deal with them for my plumbing supplies than a big box store.

24/7 plumbing stores. Ahhh how did they make it along back in the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                      It seems that the big boxes are taking more and more from us. Where does it stop?

It doesn't, it only gets worse. Been barking up this tree for a decade now. All for one and the hell with everybody else and the trade.
                      sigpic

Comment

I like how one of the box stores stocks some of the ridgid tools and plus I was able to pick up some shop-vac filter bags for drywall dust......and I was able to get christmas tree all in one store. Saved me some time

Comment

Don't even know why they would carry it in relation to a homeowner. Most of the ones I know wouldn't even know how to begin a Google search on backflow or RPZ.

Bet you'll see them get sent back to the mfg. or just wholesaled out for product more likely to move.

J.C.

Comment

I like how my supply houses carry Ridgid, Milwaukee and Lennox, they deliver, their prices are at least 10% lower and they don't sell wholesale to homeowners. I like the free delivery. I like that they send a salesman around weekly to take my orders. I like how they offer free seminars for new equipment. I like how they will personally deliver emergency supplies to the jobsite and Instantly stand behind their products without having to ship them back to China. Since my suppliers have treated me so well over the past 40 years or so I feel obligated and somewhat privileged to give them my loyalty and support. Oh yea, counter days, free lunches, summer barbecues and the deep sea fishing with free booze. Screw the big box stores.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              I like how my supply houses carry Ridgid, Milwaukee and Lennox, they deliver, their prices are at least 10% lower and they don't sell wholesale to homeowners. I like the free delivery. I like that they send a salesman around weekly to take my orders. I like how they offer free seminars for new equipment. I like how they will personally deliver emergency supplies to the jobsite and Instantly stand behind their products without having to ship them back to China. Since my suppliers have treated me so well over the past 40 years or so I feel obligated and somewhat privileged to give them my loyalty and support. Oh yea, counter days, free lunches, summer barbecues and the deep sea fishing with free booze. Screw the big box stores.
                              So why doesn't every supply house conduct business as yours do?

Comment

Working...
                              X