Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is able to shut the curb stop off?

I am a plumber who does service work for a municipality in Ontario. The other day one of the "water works" technicians tells me that a plumber is not legally able to shut the curb stop off, only a water works technician can. Please someone tell me this guy is full of crap!

Re: Who is able to shut the curb stop off?

Around here we can shut them off for service. But if the stop is not keyable, and we call the city out, they will make us responsible for the repair stating we where the last ones to stick our key in the B-box.

So when ever I have a call where the B-box needs to be shut down, I call the city out and ask them to make sure the b-box is keyable. In some cases they will leave their key in the b-box for us. Some cities want to come out and turn the water off and back on for us. So it all depends on the city and what they want.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

You have to check with your purveyor as they are all different. In some cities you are not allowed to touch them and they will fine you if it breaks. I have never broken one but one of my guys did.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks, I'II check the by-laws.

Comment

Re: Who is able to shut the curb stop off? Old Irishman!

Are these Keys sold at supply houses? Was looking at one once, and
          The welder side kicked in. Lets see 10 ft piece of E.M.T conduit, weld
          Maybe 1 1/4" x 3/4" drive socket. Fill socket full of wax from wax ring. Now carefully lower in hole and make clean impression.
          Fab it up. Yes I'm dangerous!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The only time we are suppose to use the meter stop is when we are installing a main stop valve for the home or repairing it. But I use them almost exclusively. Our meter valves are about 6" under the ground and its no trouble for the water co to replace them...they really dont care but technically its their valve and we not suppose to mess wiff it.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydoug View Post
              I am a plumber who does service work for a municipality in Ontario. The other day one of the "water works" technicians tells me that a plumber is not legally able to shut the curb stop off, only a water works technician can. Please someone tell me this guy is full of crap!
              Doug, just went thru that 2 days ago here (Windsor). As a home owner, or a licienced plumber, I would not be allowed to touch it. According to the employee who came out to shut it off for me (had to repair the main shut-off in the basement) the main reason is if I do it, and I break it, (some haven't been touched for decades) I would be responsible to fix it. If "they" do it, and "they' break it, the cost is on them.

Of course, since nothing comes for free, they charge $60 for this "service". 30 years ago they did it for free. Oh well, way it goes.
              Brian

Comment

In our area and I am sure for Ontario, the only people allowed to turn off the curb stop is the district or city water works people. It is their responsibility, from the curb stop in, is the homeowners. They are responsible for the curb stop, which has been ok in a few situations, where they have not been able to turn off the stop, and had to dig up and replace the stem or stop.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Around here we can shut them off for service. But if the stop is not keyable, and we call the city out, they will make us responsible for the repair stating we where the last ones to stick our key in the B-box.

So when ever I have a call where the B-box needs to be shut down, I call the city out and ask them to make sure the b-box is keyable. In some cases they will leave their key in the b-box for us. Some cities want to come out and turn the water off and back on for us. So it all depends on the city and what they want.
                  Ron. Exactly right. Here in the frozen hinterland pretty much every town has their own spin on what they'll let you do, or not do. More often than not they don't want us touching curb boxes and if we damage it we'll be responsible for the costs. The stops here are usually 8' down and as often as not the standpipes will be loaded with dirt, stones, ice, etc. The city trucks are equipped with large compressors to blow them out. I would have to create a setup so I don't bother. Although I do carry a key and a locater for those odd moments.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

when i was on Long Island we were able to turn off the street valve going to the house if the main valve in the house did not hold
                    im not sure what they do here in PA but if my house valve wont hold i will shut it off at the street if i need to then i will call them and tell them i had to turn it off
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

city of la doesn't care. santa monica and beverly hills you need to call them. if you break it, you bought it. but those 2 cities come out pretty quick.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

D.C. Water naturally doesn't want the homeowners messing around in their meter pits but if the cock is broken the homeowner won't be charged for repairs.

Most of the meters here have been updated to the cock actually inside the meter pit. These can easily be reach with a long arm using a cresent wrench. Older ones that haven't been updated are a curb cock box located just outside the pit about a foot away. These, you will need a curb key and are at least 4 feet deep, usually full of dirt, rocks, broken glass or whatever some 5 year old kid can shove down the loose top.

We have an open work order with DC Water to make repairs on their meters. They are under staffed so much they contract out this type of work. If their meter crew can't get a positive shut down to swap out a meter, they call us in. DC Water shuts the entire block down. We dig up and install a new meter rack with a jumper. Then they come back later and install a new meter.

It's a two or three man crew digging a tight hole in a public sidewalk. You spend most of they day laying on your belly with your head and shoulders in a hole. If you get two done in a day without working late you've done well. Pedestrians will walk right through the barricades, kids will ask a thousand questions about what you are doing, dogs will try to pee on you, the homeless will bum a quarters from you. It sucks but it's steady work for our site crew.

Comment

Anyone. Until something goes wrong.

J.C.

Comment

It varies here, some will let us and some won't. They usually come pretty quick if needed. One city will fine $5,000 if they catch you touching the curb stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                              It varies here, some will let us and some won't. They usually come pretty quick if needed. One city will fine $5,000 if they catch you touching the curb stop.
                              I have a feeling a lot more cities will be fining people for touching the B-box. Ever since the big box stores are selling the b-box keys, they been having a rash of random people having their water turned off for no reason.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X