Water Heaters 6 or 10 yr ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heaters 6 or 10 yr ?

I have been buying / installing State Select water heaters for a few years now. They offer a 10 yr. warranty which is just a replacement anode rod .That is $100 extra. I have never sold one to a customer . How many of you out there sell them to customers that want a 10 yr. warranty?
    Does it really extend the life of the heater 4 more yrs? Or are they just living on borrowed time after 6yrs. anyhow?
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Water Heaters 6 or 10 yr ?

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    I have been buying / installing State Select water heaters for a few years now. They offer a 10 yr. warranty which is just a replacement anode rod .That is $100 extra. I have never sold one to a customer . How many of you out there sell them to customers that want a 10 yr. warranty?
    Does it really extend the life of the heater 4 more yrs? Or are they just living on borrowed time after 6yrs. anyhow?
    As I understand it, all water heater warranties are pro-rated by the manufacturer. So if it's a 10 year warranty and the heater craps out 9 years after purchase/install, they only get 10% of the cost of a new heater (cost of the new tank).

That said, I usually only install Bradford-White heaters, but I'll put a State in occasionally. I don't even offer extended warranties to the customers, but I've been told that I should....

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
      As I understand it, all water heater warranties are pro-rated by the manufacturer. So if it's a 10 year warranty and the heater craps out 9 years after purchase/install, they only get 10% of the cost of a new heater (cost of the new tank).

That said, I usually only install Bradford-White heaters, but I'll put a State in occasionally. I don't even offer extended warranties to the customers, but I've been told that I should....
      They don't prorate the warranty, they credit the heater 100%. The new water heater assumes the warranty of the replaced heater, thus it has a prorated warranty. So, a replacement for a 9 year old heater will have a one year warranty. At least that's the way it is in my area and has been so for at least 50 years.

Comment

Well, I guess I wouldn't really know for sure as I've never had to even pursue a warranty claim on a residential heater that I installed. Maybe I'm just lucky I guess. I was told that the warranty is prorated by an A.O. Smith rep a while back.

I've never seen a tank spring a leak before warranty. I've had controls go bad, but those can be fixed or replaced pretty easily.

Comment

So does the $100 anode rod really buy you an extra 4 yrs?
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            So does the $100 anode rod really buy you an extra 4 yrs?
            Maybe. It's an insurance policy. Part of the $100 is to cover the extended warranty which is the wh company's bet that it will. And, they have the data base to tell them whether or not it's a good bet. Just like auto manufacturers' and their warranties.

Comment

a/o smith give u a new water heater, but does charge a 50 handle fee ,at least here in n y

Comment

Working...
              X