Water in gas line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in gas line

I found this last week at a house i work at a few time a year ...its probable a 25 year old addition , never had a problem before .. the gas supply is plastic coming around the house up to the drive way feeding the fire place and a furnace.
    We took the line loose and started to air it up i got it up to 20 lb and the bottom fell out..i went around to the sleeve vent and had my son shoot some more air to it and i could here it blowing in the vent..
    We broke up the concrete to see what we had .and followed the pipe back to a duck taped tee nothing looked very good, or right .. Out of the 3 lines none of them held pressure.. every thing was bad ...
    we rerouted through the attic
    Attached Files

Re: Water in gas line

Wow, I guess that's why we aren't allowed to have threaded joints underground or steel for that matter. Love the duct tape, nice pics.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      I found this last week at a house i work at a few time a year ...its probable a 25 year old addition , never had a problem before .. the gas supply is plastic coming around the house up to the drive way feeding the fire place and a furnace.
      We took the line loose and started to air it up i got it up to 20 lb and the bottom fell out..i went around to the sleeve vent and had my son shoot some more air to it and i could here it blowing in the vent..
      We broke up the concrete to see what we had .and followed the pipe back to a duck taped tee nothing looked very good, or right .. Out of the 3 lines none of them held pressure.. every thing was bad ...
      we rerouted through the attic
      So after you cut the concrete you had to install a new line in the attic? What kinda pipe did you use through the attic and down the walls?

Comment

I see rusted Iron pipe? Is the blue or green plastic? Is that the color plastic in your area? Are You replacing all underground gas , and what material, please ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Once we opened it up we were able to see the mess they had .
          The underground plastic was the orange that are local gas co used years ago.. Now they use yellow ..I was able to see 2 unions under the concrete im sure there was a 3rd by the heater.
          We didn't use any of the old underground pipe ..
          We were able to tie into a 3/4 black pipe and ran bl right too the heater,
          The home owner chose to just burn wood in the fire place

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
            Once we opened it up we were able to see the mess they had .
            The underground plastic was the orange that are local gas co used years ago.. Now they use yellow ..I was able to see 2 unions under the concrete im sure there was a 3rd by the heater.
            We didn't use any of the old underground pipe ..
            We were able to tie into a 3/4 black pipe and ran bl right too the heater,
            The home owner chose to just burn wood in the fire place
            If gas pipe is under concrete we never remove concrete to repair it. Too much work to break it out only to find what we know is there.....old rusted up crap. Here we cant run gas pipe under a slab unless its sleeved and open at each end......If its existing pipe work and the gas co. finds out about it,they will cut the customers gas off and remove their meter until its repiped. If I find gas pipe on the customers side of the meter under concrete without sleeving I turn the gas off and call the gas provider and write down my case number on my invoice.

So basically what I'm saying is I would have no need to open the slab because its illegal for me to repair it anyway and I wouldn't repair it even if I could and it was legal

Glad you got the problem solved

Comment

Working...
            X