X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new fill valve

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    there's a reason why american standard and kohler use fluidmasters as their oem ballcock. because they work, they're inexpensive and trouble free.

i've got the better half of 50 factory 1b1x brass shank ballcocks to fit the kohler 1pc. toilets with the secondary floats. the original ones with a plastic cap were junk and a lawsuit waiting to happen. the newer design is a tad better than junk, but if you expect the toilet to flush and fill properly, you need to install that ballcock.

nowadays, 95% of my toilets get a form of a fluidmaster. i have well over 100 fluidmasters in stock from the regular 400a, pro 45, pro 45b, pro45hr to even the fluidmaster/ kohler side inlet. even the niagra toilet uses a fluidmaster.

now if you want a guaranteed callback, install a factory toto ballcock.

i have less than a 1% callback with fluidmasters and as far as i'm concerned they're the best non-ballcock design out there.

rick.
    Either assemble yourself around the horse carcass and conduct youself accordingly or stay out of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      No your just wrong. I dont think you know better.

Great, there is 2 of you in this forum now
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        Great, there is 2 of you in this forum now
        And it's going to be fun when the Shot hits the fan.
        I just can't figure out what's taking so long

Comment

You know, I have pulled the foat up inside the tank to shut the toilet off, the float was full of water. I have seen it.

Maybe you dont have repeat customers Master, if I know you, you are a huge delta fan also.

I love guys that feel the need to throw their "25 years experience" around

This does not mean you have seen everything, this does not mean you know everything. It does not mean you have been doing it right for 25 yrs.

Fluidmaster fill valves are 1.00 cheaper then the Brasscraft, brasscraft has an open cup float and is a much better design. I have only replaced one brasscraft. Many fluidmaster, to many to count.

Why fluidmaster is used as OEM parts, well thats a no brainer....

They are cheap and fail, built in obselences. Repeat business in the manufacturers mind, "Oh my kohler has a fluidmaster, it came with the toilet, I have to put THAT one back in"
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

You know, I have pulled the foat up inside the tank to shut the toilet off, the float was full of water. I have seen it.

Maybe you dont have repeat customers Master, if I know you, you are a huge delta fan also.

I love guys that feel the need to throw their "25 years experience" around

This does not mean you have seen everything, this does not mean you know everything. It does not mean you have been doing it right for 25 yrs.

Fluidmaster fill valves are 1.00 cheaper then the Brasscraft, brasscraft has an open cup float and is a much better design. I have only replaced one brasscraft. Many fluidmaster, to many to count.

Why fluidmaster is used as OEM parts, well thats a no brainer....

They are cheap and fail, built in obselences. Repeat business in the manufacturers mind, "Oh my kohler has a fluidmaster, it came with the toilet, I have to put THAT one back in"

I have 80 years of repeat customers and families. I dont even hafta advertise.

I use fluidmaster in my home because they work and they have been in the toto toilets from day one....11 years ago and they still are working.

You brought up the experience thing....go back and read your own post.
            I simply explained my experience and now you have a problem with that also.....and Delta....and the fact that some of the others agree with me,

What are you going to say when fluidmaster says your FOS? I'll be e-mailing them about their float becoming water logged.

How do you explain me holding the float underwater for a minute or two and then when i let the float go...it snaps to the closed position full of water? You cant and the ballcocks i tested it on are 11 years old.

If you were playing poker....it would be time to fold

ADD> The reason why you have replaced so many fluidmaster is becuse there is a ton of them out there.......No one uses the brasscraft compared to fluidmaster. Its simply the laws of numbers. Understand that concept?
            Last edited by TheMaster; 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM. Reason: ADD

Comment

does brasscraft work on a toto or kohler cimeron with a high refill bowl

not

so the 2 most popular brands of toilets can't use a ballcock that you carry.

in the last 25 years, fluidmaster has used the same seal for their ballcocks. not like your kohlers that use 12 different flappers and ballcocks that were pushing $300.00.

i'll stick with a proven product and don't need to worry or compete with home centers that sell fluidmasters. plus they only sell the 400a and not the pro brass, or pro high refill.

did you know delta also sold ballcocks at 1 time and a plastic 1 pc. toilet probably not since it was 30 years ago

i install what works, not what i can charge more money for

if brasscraft was so good, they would be sold at everyone of my supply houses, just like their angle stops are

for a $6.00 ballcock to last several years without worry and a $1.50 replacement seal that works 95% of the time, i know the customer is getting their monies worth.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I'm still a fan of Fluidmaster. There is a reason all of these other companies are making knock-offs.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  I have 80 years of repeat customers and families. I dont even hafta advertise. Heard this before

I use fluidmaster in my home because they work and they have been in the toto toilets from day one....11 years ago and they still are working.

You brought up the experience thing....go back and read your own post. You actually brought it up, read your post.
                  I simply explained my experience and now you have a problem with that also.....and Delta....and the fact that some of the others agree with me, I dont have a problem with you, I am simply stating my fill valve choice and my experience. I have a feeling that unless I agree with you, I am wrong.

What are you going to say when fluidmaster says your FOS? I'll be e-mailing them about their float becoming water logged. I emailed them and we will see. I dont care one way or another really, I love my fill valves, I charge what I want for them, people love them, I never have callbacks on them and their float is a better design then fluidmaster. Open float, no issues. My opinions, my choices. My 12 years of experience. Sorry its not 25, but Im still young. Does not mean I am wrong.

How do you explain me holding the float underwater for a minute or two and then when i let the float go...it snaps to the closed position full of water? You cant and the ballcocks i tested it on are 11 years old. You can try it as much as you wish, I know what I find.

If you were playing poker....it would be time to fold

ADD> The reason why you have replaced so many fluidmaster is becuse there is a ton of them out there.......No one uses the brasscraft compared to fluidmaster. Its simply the laws of numbers. Understand that concept?
                  I understand your numbers concept, but understand mine. Built in obselesence is my concept and it's proven with everything you buy today. Everyone wants the cheapest junk they can find and install it.

I also use the hose bibs with the built in vacuum breaker, 3$ more then the regular hose bib. Let me guess, the screw on vacuum breaker is better? I remove a ton of those also.
                  Last edited by westcoastplumber; 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have a feeling that unless I agree with you, I am wrong.

You hit the nail on the head.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Spectacular.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Either assemble yourself around the horse carcass and conduct youself accordingly or stay out of it!!!
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        Spectacular.

Need to make sure that horse is good and tender.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        Ron's Facebook
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          I'm still a fan of Fluidmaster. There is a reason all of these other companies are making knock-offs.

Mark
                          Fluidmaster is fine. Heck, it's what I install to be honest. I can't say it is great in any way though. It is affordable, usually works a reasonable amount of time, and doesn't typically give you a callback within the first year. But I've replaced many less than 5 years old in various environments.

I kind of think all of the other companies are just playing ball. Maybe this design can be made in the least expensive way with molding machines, materials, etc.

That doesn't necessarily mean the other companies make a similar product because the design is superior in performance.

It could mean that design is superior in profit for the companies.

J.C.

Comment

Yes but Fluidmaster did not start out as the cheap alternative. There was a time we carried all brass ballcocks, copper balls and brass float rods. We had to carry 10", 12" and 14" ballcocks. We had to have various lengths of float rods and a die to re-thread them just in case. The cost of replacing ballcocks often cost more than a new water closet but where do you find a Grey water closet to match the tub? The cheap alternative was a plastic coast ballcock and you needed to carry 10", 12" and 14".

When Fluidmaster first came out many felt they wouldn't work because the traditional float and rods were missing. However, before long it was evident a case of Fluidmasters on the truck could replace 90% of the ballcocks out there. Are they the best you can buy today? Probably not but they are still a great design and preform well for the most part.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

they are also the only ballcock with a leak sentry/device that will shut off the water from refilling if there's a leak.

this concept is free insurance if you have a vacation home, or worried about a leak or broken toilet tank.

fluidmaster is a company that you can still call and talk to the people in charge of the design and manufacturing of it. i know as i've spoken to them in person and on the phone. i've also was on a discussion panel for the pro45b before they hit the market.

i install products that don't give me problems or callbacks. fluidmaster is my fill valve for those reasons.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

I still have a 200A on one of my coms never have touched it. i put it in when i first started plumbing
                                I dont believe the seal is made of the same rubber any more , if it ever fails to shut off i will change it , im sure its brittle.
                                It might be are water but the last 10 years i have to change the seal almost every time i see a 400 A..Witch is no big problem ,
                                What i see when the seal goes bad is a slow wont stop, or the scary fast wont stop .. I had to go back to a ball cock it stops..But i have to service them too
                                I keep 400 A s on my truck & seals

Comment

Working...
                                X