X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lead rule

Looks like in three years everyone will have no lead brass.

New Lead in Water Rules in Effect
    On Jan. 5 President Obama signed S. 3874, the Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act legislation. The new law provides a 36-month implementation period from approval, after which time manufacturers and importers will be required to comply with the new standard. It uniformly reduces the lead standard for pipes, pipe fittings and plumbing fittings to 0.25% across the nation, which is consistent with the current state laws in California, Vermont and Maryland. The previous national level of permissible lead content was 8%. The law also establishes a benchmark for solder and flux of 0.2 percent.

Re: New lead rule

Another law that on the surface is supposed to make a positive difference in our health but then you look at the research and see that the lead content in potable water fittings has never been linked to any health related issues...

The City of Boston still has lead water mains in service.

In the end this is another end around to force the use of plastic which has a shorter serviceable lifespan especially in the presence of chlorinated water thus increasing economic activity throughout the chain

- Bureaucrats get jobs to monitor compliance / testing / certification ect..
    - Manufacturers get to charge more for a new compliant product even
    though the use of plastic makes the items cheaper to produce.
    - The new plastic product will not last as long thus increasing the use of us
    Plumbers $$$

So I guess I should be thanking the Gubment for looking out for me yet again...

Comment

Since the law has been in effect for a year now here, I can't get low lead rebuild kits for the hundreds of Chicago and Hawes faucets I repair at the school district.

Comment

Being an East Coast trained Carpenter, living in the West.
        I have a supplier for lead flashing. Nothing like it flashing a chimney.
        O Bama , Keep Your hands off My lead Flashing
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
          Since the law has been in effect for a year now here, I can't get low lead rebuild kits for the hundreds of Chicago and Hawes faucets I repair at the school district.
          That shouldn't be a problem....in three years.

Order the non compliant ones on line from Western Nevada Supply, take a skiing vacation to the Sierra's, stopping off in Sparks to pick them up before you return to CA.

Comment

I'm not throwing any of my stock away......catch me of ya can is the attitude I will have. F'um.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              That shouldn't be a problem....in three years.

Order the non compliant ones on line from Western Nevada Supply, take a skiing vacation to the Sierra's, stopping off in Sparks to pick them up before you return to CA.
              I figured I would just get the illegals aliens to cross the border with backpacks full of brass stems instead of drugs.

Comment

Working...
              X