X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting glass tubing

Any suggestion for cutting the glass tubing . Sight glass for steam boiler Cutters were bought but never cut any glass tubing
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Cutting glass tubing

Scratch and snap.
    http://dev.nsta.org/ssc/pdf/v4-TS_01.pdf

Comment

have the cutters just wondering if there is a trick to using them ..
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

A thought .. if you scored the tubing with your glass cutting tool, then fill tube with water to the line, heat the tube with a torch .. not red hot, finger burning hot...then dip whole thing in a pail of cold water with the original water still in it .. up to the score line.
        Will the tube crack along the score line and give you what you want?
        If you have lotza tube and it's not expensive ..might be worth a try..
        charlie

Comment

I don't cut a lot of steam sight tubes.

Whenever I need one cut, I take it to Thomas Somerville Co. and have one of the 'old timers' cut it. They can probably show you the proper use of your cutter too.

Post a picture of it. I'll bet NHMaster can enlighten you.

Comment

I have two different styles. One scores the tubing on the inside. basically its a rod with a cutting wheel attached and an adjustable stop. The other is a chain type that wraps around the glass. Both work very well and both work better if you lubricate the wheel with light oil before making the score.
            sigpic

Comment

I haven't cut glass tubing, but I do stained glass. I can tell you this--put a little light oil (sewing machine type) on the cutting wheels and it will cut a lot nicer. As Plumbus said--score and snap.

Comment

NHM posted as I was typing.

Comment

I have cut a lot of glass, doing stain glass and other things but not much tubing, the way I remember learning was to score it with a triangular file, and snap it, but it has been a very long time since I have cut any, or tried it, like 30+ years,

but here is a few U tube, and they all seemed to accomplish the job, the third one the guy looks a little more professional,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HvsXVageUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQKO1rJC2XI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeZ59...eature=related
                  Last edited by BHD; 01-12-2011, 08:41 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My M.K. diamond wet tile saw will cut it easy. I also cut glass blocks for art projects on it.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you are like me you probably will need a glass tubing cutter only one time in your life and after this one time you will not have a need to use it ever again. Learned this from a plumbing buddy of mine whenever you do NOT have a glass tubing cutter handy.....just use a fine tooth file and score the tubing complete around and this is after you have measured properly. Doesn't have to be precise but so long as you complete the scoring completely around the circumference of the tubing. Then just lightly tap using the same file and if done properly it will break cleanly along the scored line.

On the other hand if you are like my brother-in-law who lives to collect tools you can purchase a glass tubing cutter on ebay, pay the $14 along with $7 shipping and then you have another tools which will probably never be used again

Comment

That's a good tip, thanks
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X