X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belly in pipe rots XH cast iron

Here's a kitchen drain line. There's a significant belly in the pipe. Over three feet it was backpitched to a point where the standing water in the belly filled the pipe to the top.

The standing water rotted a hole in the bottom of the pipe for about two feet. The adjacent piping was very thin and rotted as well. I ended up having to remove 6 feet of pipe before good cast was located.

The soil here was a solid clay so the leakage ended up being not too bad.

I see this, then think of the sewers with very long bellies I have video of, some approaching twenty feet where the homeowners want to do nothing.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Belly in pipe rots XH cast iron

why would they want to? to fix it you have to dig it up and when it goes to hell you have to dig it up. there a lot of things that can happen before it pucks to where they will not be there to have to deal with it. breid...............

Comment

kitchen lines are notorious for rotting. belly or no belly. grease is an acid.

plastic is the best material for kitchens and any other drain you don't want to worry about in the future. it stays clean much longer and when you clean it, it's spotless.

anyone who tells you different, is not a plumber or drain cleaner

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
        why would they want to? to fix it you have to dig it up and when it goes to hell you have to dig it up. there a lot of things that can happen before it pucks to where they will not be there to have to deal with it. breid...............
        Breid I was roughing in the underground for a bathroom and the shower was right over the kitchen pipe. The slab was half excavated to solve this problem anyway.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
        X