• Show
Clear All

Re: Trip charge or not ?

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
    20 minutes i dont even work that far going out of town
    Time is not a measurment of distance.

Comment

We go in a 50 mile radius from our main office. Anything beyond 50 miles we do charge portal to portal.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

we add a fee to are first hour then it drops to a diff. rate after that so letts say $155.00 for the first hour then $125 each add. hour affter that doesn't mater how far we come from to get there if it takes 20 min 40 min or 5 min its $155.00 for first hour that covers travel and we will break it down to the 1/2 hour if thats how we end now thats REGULAR rates Overtime is a hole diff. ball game they pay complete travel there and back from the time I leave till the time I get home but rem. thats a Union plumbing comp. and rates are actualy just a bit more then little mom & pop shops
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          I charge one way travel time and I have a 1 hr minimum. Then I charge by the quarter hr after the 1st hour.
          Pretty much same here...worked for 10 years so far...you will always get some complainers but you can't please 100 % of the people 100% of the time...so why try?
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I really appreciate all the input..I will have to implement something soon.I have been way too willy nilly lately. I am thinking x amount for the 1st hr. (1 hr. minimum) that covers the travel time...Then every 15min thereafter x amount again.. Seems fair to me especially when you get there and there might only be a 1/2hr. worth of work..Why should I be penalized when they call me out and there is only 1/2 hr. to 45min. worth of work. And have a laundry list of items I blow out quickly..

There done !
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I know this is not a flat rate vs hourly discussion but it reminds me of what happened last summer. I needed 50 feet x 5 feet deep trenched out in sandy loam (no roots, no rocks, no concrete, on a front lawn, no weird narrow digging between tight places, no electric wires, no back filling needed). I called this one guy a freind recommended and he starts out with all these break down fees.....50 bucks to float the mini excavator on and off...275 bucks for the first hour and then 200 bucks for the following hours and its more during the week and less on weekends. I told the guy: "look, I don't want to hear all this...how much is it gonna cost?" He said he couldn't/wouldn't say....same old..."doesn't know each job is different...blah... blah... blah..."...OK, I respect that and said thank you very much, goodbye. Called another guy from a landscape flyer...didn't know the guy. Told him my situtation, explained everything to him. And he sez "if the job is as you tell me, and I will see it as soon as I get there, then gimme $250". When I arrived at the property, the mini excavator was already off his little trailer, and he was moving into position (job was all marked). He wanted to see my "locates sheet" and he dug it out...this guy was real good, knew how to operate that machine. Was done in under an hour. My wife brought some sandwiches and Coke...he didnt want any...gave him the $250 cash and off he went. Funny thing was he said that if I got the pipe in by the next Friday, he would be down the street on another job with a Bobcat and would come and back fill N/C...which he did!!!! (he said it would take 10 mins to push the dirt in I wasnt there when he did it).
              In the follwing weeks the first guy I called, called me back 3 times...I didn't return any of his calls. Sometimes things don't have to be so complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                I know this is not a flat rate vs hourly discussion but it reminds me of what happened last summer. I needed 50 feet x 5 feet deep trenched out in sandy loam (no roots, no rocks, no concrete, on a front lawn, no weird narrow digging between tight places, no electric wires, no back filling needed). I called this one guy a freind recommended and he starts out with all these break down fees.....50 bucks to float the mini excavator on and off...275 bucks for the first hour and then 200 bucks for the following hours and its more during the week and less on weekends. I told the guy: "look, I don't want to hear all this...how much is it gonna cost?" He said he couldn't/wouldn't say....same old..."doesn't know each job is different...blah... blah... blah..."...OK, I respect that and said thank you very much, goodbye. Called another guy from a landscape flyer...didn't know the guy. Told him my situtation, explained everything to him. And he sez "if the job is as you tell me, and I will see it as soon as I get there, then gimme $250". When I arrived at the property, the mini excavator was already off his little trailer, and he was moving into position (job was all marked). He wanted to see my "locates sheet" and he dug it out...this guy was real good, knew how to operate that machine. Was done in under an hour. My wife brought some sandwiches and Coke...he didnt want any...gave him the $250 cash and off he went. Funny thing was he said that if I got the pipe in by the next Friday, he would be down the street on another job with a Bobcat and would come and back fill N/C...which he did!!!! (he said it would take 10 mins to push the dirt in I wasnt there when he did it).
                In the follwing weeks the first guy I called, called me back 3 times...I didn't return any of his calls. Sometimes things don't have to be so complicated.
                Did either of them have insurance? Personally I wouldn't have dug a trench 50' long and 5' deep and just drove off.....big time liability leaving open trenchs on a homeowners property. Fo sho not for 250.....

Comment

Hi Master,
                  No idea about if he had insurance or not. I had the locates done (in case there were unknown pipes in the area, which there were none). I just asked him to dig. I was there when he dug. The rest was MY responsibility and I knew that. After the dig I set up the orange plastic construction fence, I put my pylons out and warning signs along with planks along the whole trenched out hole (yup 50 ft of planks). If anything happened, yup its on my shoulder, I know that. Maybe to you 250 bucks CASH is nothing, but to this guy the 250 CASH for 1 hour's work was GREAT! (income taxes in Canada can be as high as 47% for top income bracket)

Comment

Hi Master,
                    No idea about if he had insurance or not. I had the locates done (in case there were unknown pipes in the area, which there were none). I just asked him to dig. I was there when he dug. The rest was MY responsibility and I knew that. After the dig I set up the orange plastic construction fence, I put my pylons out and warning signs along with planks along the whole trenched out hole (yup 50 ft of planks). If anything happened, yup its on my shoulder, I know that. Maybe to you 250 bucks CASH is nothing, but to this guy the 250 CASH for 1 hour's work was GREAT! (income taxes in Canada can be as high as 47% for top income bracket)
                    I'm glad you got your job done...thats good for you. BUT what would have happened if that guy would have flipped his machine over and killed himself with it? Who pays his widow? Was it a real business or a guy with a backhoe?

The guy you hired used 50,000 of equipment and an hour of his time to make 250.00. He's not so smart but he does have 250 that he didn't have before.

My point is the 1st guy probably gave you legitimate prices and then was undercut by a guy who didn;t have insurance or pay his tax.

Comment

There are some people that will do anything on the fly...Not all. Most experienced operators I know and have dug for me charge by the hr. That is factored into the job. x amount for digging and x amount for backfilling..
                      Again these are experienced operators that dig for PLUMBERS that know how to dig to whatever depth you need , know how to properly slope a ditch,know how to dig around utilities ,know how to properly backfill and tamp.. can even hand you something if needed..I 've had operators dig for me in the past installing sewers etc. and never had to touch a shovel except to spread gravel. The very 1st question I ask an operator is "How often do you dig for PLUMBERS" After all we put our lives in their hands ..So you got done what you wanted for what you wanted to pay..Maybe less..Good , just remember most anyone that owns a machine can dig a hole in a wide open field..Remember we are PLUMBERS not landscapers..
                      Last edited by OLD1; 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM.
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X