X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip charge or not ?

Who charges a trip charge for service ? Sometimes you head out to a job figuring at least 1 or 2 hrs. work and it turns out to be a simple quick fix. To be fair to the customer and yourself do you charge a 1 hr. minimum. and / or a trip / truck fee. I am sure even the flat rate guys run into this ..At some point there has to be an "Assesment" fee or something..

I am thinking that I will start a 1st half hr. fee (that covers me getting there) and then so much every 15 min. after that for service

Within that 1st half hr. I will do an asessment and provide a written / verbal "estimate" or begin work if we reach an agreed upon price..

That way if they turn out to be tire kickers I still get paid for the trip

I don't mind going to a customers and giving them a "free" estimate on bigger jobs, especially if you have done work for them and you are sure they are not "window shopping"

Obviously a broken toilet or backed up sewer is a "service" call .But you'd be surprised the people that want you to come and and take a look at a toilet and give them an estimate on fixing it..

Gimme a break

Just trying to be fair to my customers and myself
    Last edited by OLD1; 01-14-2011, 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Trip charge or not ?

I charge one way travel time and I have a 1 hr minimum. Then I charge by the quarter hr after the 1st hour.

Comment

We do a service call and a minimum half hour charge. To keep things simple if someone asks for a price over the phone I just quote what the first half hour would cost them, and then how much each additional half hour costs.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        I charge one way travel time and I have a 1 hr minimum. Then I charge by the quarter hr after the 1st hour.
        That seems fair and simple..So do you have a basic flat rate travel charge or do you calculate mileage?

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          That seems fair and simple..So do you have a basic flat rate travel charge or do you calculate mileage?
          No I work by time. I start the clock when I start driving to the customers house and end the customers time when i complete the invoice.

Comment

No I work by time. I start the clock when I start driving to the customers house and end the customers time when i complete the invoice.

I like that idea I know a lot of customers though that would not ..You know the type

Comment

I like that idea I know a lot of customers though that would not ..You know the type
              Yeah I know the type...the type I tell "Have a nice day" and then go back to work. I cant do all the work I get anyway so turning down a job is not a real big deal..especially if they dont like the way I charge....no problem..see ya

The way I charge has never caused me any problems that any other way of billing wouldn't have caused. You cant please everyone all the time even if you paid them some would still biotch about it.

Comment

Flat rate eliminates all that nonsense.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  What nonsense...some of my customers cant ven tell me whats wrong so how would you price that? A trip charge?.....well i can eliminate all that nonsense with one price for general service.

Its real easy. They like how I charge or they can call around.

Comment

If i have to drive out of town they pay mi both ways and time to get there and back
                    In town i charge to get there it ends when I'm done, then the clock starts on the next customer

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Ok ,I was not trying for flat rate vs. hourly debate .. I am not a flate rate co. If that's where it's going..Sorry , I appreciate the input though...I do agree for a" by the hour co." there has to be a standard trip / travel fee involved. I will have to come up with a decent formula that is fair for everyone involved..especially me

Comment

Ok ,I was not trying for flat rate vs. hourly debate .. I am not a flate rate co. If that's where it's going..Sorry , I appreciate the input though...I do agree for a" by the hour co." there has to be a standard trip / travel fee involved. I will have to come up with a decent formula that is fair for everyone involved..especially me
                        Yes the formula is you get paid the same to driving as you do plumbing. Thats why I charge one way travel at the same rate. I dont work out of town. The majority of my jobs are 20 minutes from each other at most.

Comment

Once in awhile I'll charge for the trip alone, as long as no tools come off the truck.

But then again, if I have to tighten a packing nut only...it will depend on my mood.

Comment

Yes the formula is you get paid the same to driving as you do plumbing. Thats why I charge one way travel at the same rate. I dont work out of town. The majority of my jobs are 20 minutes from each other at most.

20 minutes i dont even work that far going out of town

Comment

We have a 1 hr min. plus a service charge and that works for us. If it is very simple and no tools it will be just a service charge, but that is for repeat customers only.

Comment

Working...
                              X