Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Job opportunities Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Job opportunities

    What is the job market like for plumbers in your area?

    I have been giving a lot of thought the last couple of years to moving out of my town. What always stops me from doing that is my job. I have had a very stable and profitable job for almost the last twelve years. I have almost no headache associated with my job. If I move, I give that up and will become the low man on the totem pole at any place I go to. In this economy, that is a scary thought, hence why I haven't moved yet.

    Would an experienced plumber be able to move and find a good job? And what is the definition of a good job in your area? I know what the pay is in my town, and feel I am extremely fortunate to be well above that mark. I don't want to post any actual numbers, but I wouldn't want to move and go backwards. Between salary, benefits, and perks, I would need almost six figures to not go backwards. Is that doable in the area you are in? And if it is, what kind of lifestyle would that give you?

    Just some questions that have been in my head for quite awhile now.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Job opportunities

    mark, i hear you and feel pretty much the same way.

    you could be the best plumber in town and then move. until you reestablish yourself and get yourself know, you'll starve.

    best bet is to hook up with a shop before you move. get to know the area and style of work. then eventually go off on your own.

    do you have any areas you're looking to move to

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Job opportunities

      Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
      Between salary, benefits, and perks, I would need almost six figures to not go backwards. Is that doable in the area you are in?
      Are you kidding me? Let me know when you give notice.
      I'm gonna move to Nevada and apply for your job.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Job opportunities

        Don't come down here.

        This American dream consists of making $8.00 cash,buying your own 1986 Toyota and sleeping on a cot in your brother's garage with 10 of your other family members.

        (at least you can have plenty of help raising that 6 kid family you always wanted)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Job opportunities

          You need to buy your boss out. If you leave he will likely have to close the doors anyways. You would be doing him a favor by making payments to him instead.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Job opportunities

            You could come here and make that kind of coin but it won't be easy. You'll need that money to put your kids through private school. Public schools are still a mess right now. Leave all your PEX tools behind but bring your 36" pipe wrenches Our houses are hand built with stone foundations and none come with wheels attached If you are skilled (I know you are) there is always work even in down times. Opportunities are here you just have to know where to find them.

            If you live outside the Capital Beltway, figure on at least an hour and a half commute each way. Live inside the beltway and watch your tax dollars evaporate into what seems like a never ending road construction project.

            You get the full spectrum here. Everything from the dirt poor who don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw out of, to the profusely rich who throw money at you as long as you indulge their every need. But really, it's not as glamorous as it sounds.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Job opportunities

              Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
              What is the job market like for plumbers in your area?

              I have been giving a lot of thought the last couple of years to moving out of my town. What always stops me from doing that is my job. I have had a very stable and profitable job for almost the last twelve years. I have almost no headache associated with my job. If I move, I give that up and will become the low man on the totem pole at any place I go to. In this economy, that is a scary thought, hence why I haven't moved yet.

              Would an experienced plumber be able to move and find a good job? And what is the definition of a good job in your area? I know what the pay is in my town, and feel I am extremely fortunate to be well above that mark. I don't want to post any actual numbers, but I wouldn't want to move and go backwards. Between salary, benefits, and perks, I would need almost six figures to not go backwards. Is that doable in the area you are in? And if it is, what kind of lifestyle would that give you?

              Just some questions that have been in my head for quite awhile now.

              Thanks
              I here you thats what kept me in the chicago land for the last 12 years my job but now that I am lucky to work 1 to 2 days a weak on a good weak I dont have a choice I have to move back to NH back with family cause now I am loseing the house but thats the way things go I get stuff to try and do a lot on my own but I dont make enough so I will go back and start over at least I can live rent free for a while and get restarted the hardest part is now I need to transfer my PL license and find out which code NH goes by
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Job opportunities

                Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                I here you thats what kept me in the chicago land for the last 12 years my job but now that I am lucky to work 1 to 2 days a weak on a good weak I dont have a choice I have to move back to NH back with family cause now I am loseing the house but thats the way things go I get stuff to try and do a lot on my own but I dont make enough so I will go back and start over at least I can live rent free for a while and get restarted the hardest part is now I need to transfer my PL license and find out which code NH goes by
                Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but unless you have something concrete lined up, NH ain't the place to be. Most companies are either laying off or gone out of business. Wages at the larger companies are pretty much frozen and well below what the cost of living is here. We are under the IPC and the board will make you test for your license.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Job opportunities

                  While I agree with you, that's not the problem. You know a little about this town. There is just nothing that interests me in this town. That's the reason I try to travel very often.

                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  You need to buy your boss out. If you leave he will likely have to close the doors anyways. You would be doing him a favor by making payments to him instead.

                  Mark

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Job opportunities

                    Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Don't come down here.

                    This American dream consists of making $8.00 cash,buying your own 1986 Toyota and sleeping on a cot in your brother's garage with 10 of your other family members.

                    (at least you can have plenty of help raising that 6 kid family you always wanted)
                    Aint' that they truth..That's a shame..Funny thing is I see it being the norm everywhere before not too long...
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Job opportunities

                      PC, you sound just like what I experienced as a Cincinnati Ohio plumber for a few years. It's a great education process that teaches you to be well rounded as a plumber.



                      One day you'll rodding drains, next day changing steam rads, or the very next day you're working in the bronx in section 8 housing and nobody cares about the 7 month old clog in the basement. Somewhere in the middle of a week you'll work for a private residence that's bigger than a public school, admiring what old money bought decades ago. Some of the homes I worked at were so amazing in architecture.


                      There's a speed you eventually get to look forward to as well.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Job opportunities

                        Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but unless you have something concrete lined up, NH ain't the place to be. Most companies are either laying off or gone out of business. Wages at the larger companies are pretty much frozen and well below what the cost of living is here. We are under the IPC and the board will make you test for your license.
                        well unfortunatly I have no choice but to go there as I am moveing in with my best freind who is more like my brother and go from there at least I can live rent free may go to work for RR heck not only do I already have a van I have all my own tools sewer and camera equpt. to thank you for the coed as 2 weak ago I got the 2009 IPC coed book on line formated for my comp. for $14.99 thank you ebay and have started to read that glad I got the right one
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Job opportunities

                          Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                          What is the job market like for plumbers in your area?

                          I have been giving a lot of thought the last couple of years to moving out of my town. What always stops me from doing that is my job. I have had a very stable and profitable job for almost the last twelve years. I have almost no headache associated with my job. If I move, I give that up and will become the low man on the totem pole at any place I go to. In this economy, that is a scary thought, hence why I haven't moved yet.

                          Would an experienced plumber be able to move and find a good job? And what is the definition of a good job in your area? I know what the pay is in my town, and feel I am extremely fortunate to be well above that mark. I don't want to post any actual numbers, but I wouldn't want to move and go backwards. Between salary, benefits, and perks, I would need almost six figures to not go backwards. Is that doable in the area you are in? And if it is, what kind of lifestyle would that give you?

                          Just some questions that have been in my head for quite awhile now.

                          Thanks
                          IMO, you're better off going on your own.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Job opportunities

                            well then I wish you the best of fortune. Stop in and say howdy if'n ya get's the chance.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X