X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater dip tube

Anyone ever found one made out of copper? Ever make one out of a piece of copper pipe?

Re: Water heater dip tube

Where the anode is sacrificial, the last thing you would want is copper sulfate dissolved in the water. It would stain fixtures and turn blond hair green
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Where the anode is sacrificial, the last thing you would want is copper sulfate dissolved in the water. It would stain fixtures and turn blond hair green
      Wouldn't the factory anode be sacrificed before the copper?

Comment

I thought you meant as a replacement for the factory anode
        sigpic

Comment

Now before we get too far into this....I installed a copper dip tube in my water heater when it was new...11 years ago. I haven't noticed any green fixtures or my g.f. blonde hair has not turned green yet. Maybe we have just good water.

I will be replaceing the water heater soon and I'm curious of the condition of the copper dip tube. I plan on using it again.

Comment

Electrician friend of mine used some s. s. tubing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Anyone ever found one made out of copper? Ever make one out of a piece of copper pipe?
              I used a piece of copper once a couple decades back. I was on a service call a long way from a supply house and the water heater didn't have a dip tube. If I remember correctly there was a small shoulder at the bottom of the cold inlet threading. I simply flared the end of a piece of 3/4 copper tube, drilled a small hole about 6" from the top to break a syphon, put it in the opening. Then screwed a brass nipple on the top of it. I didn't have any problems with it. It didn't rattle. It didn't leak. They had hot water.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

i would think there would be a serious case of electrolysis at the copper to iron weldolet.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  I used a piece of copper once a couple decades back. I was on a service call a long way from a supply house and the water heater didn't have a dip tube. If I remember correctly there was a small shoulder at the bottom of the cold inlet threading. I simply flared the end of a piece of 3/4 copper tube, drilled a small hole about 6" from the top to break a syphon, put it in the opening. Then screwed a brass nipple on the top of it. I didn't have any problems with it. It didn't rattle. It didn't leak. They had hot water.
                  I flared a piece of 1/2" with a flaring tool then hammered it out to be 7/8 o.d. Drilled a hole in it based off the original about 6" down for a siphon break.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i would think there would be a serious case of electrolysis at the copper to iron weldolet.

rick.
                  Yeah you know we connect copper directly to the heaters here and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem for city water.

I've removed 20+ year old heaters with copper MIP adapters screwed directly into the tank.....no problems.

The way I installed the dip tube there is no way for corrosion to close the inlet up on the cold side and I get plenty of hot flow with two showers running without the water savers.

Tanks seem to last between 8-12 years here...with some going 30 years or longer with copper directly installed to the inlets. I guess its the water.

Comment

What Master said.

We used to make dip tubes all the time and still frequently just use adapters on the heaters with no problems even 10 or twelve years later. We are in an area of soft water with no use of softeners at all.

In fact using dielectric unions is counter productive as they start to corrode within a few years and the gaskets are "yucky" when you take them apart... if you can get them apart.

Master, where are you located, is it the Great Lakes area?

Comment

I'm sure I did dozens back in the 70's. And maybe a few during the diptube debacle of the 90's. None since then. Always 1/2" soft copper, flared at the end with the anti-siphon hole drilled. Just be sure you have the flare correct or "plunk" right into the tank never to be seen again.

I'm with APHCO, what part of the country are you located in Themaster?
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                        I'm sure I did dozens back in the 70's. And maybe a few during the diptube debacle of the 90's. None since then. Always 1/2" soft copper, flared at the end with the anti-siphon hole drilled. Just be sure you have the flare correct or "plunk" right into the tank never to be seen again.

I'm with APHCO, what part of the country are you located in Themaster?
                        The way I do it is you flare the pipe out and let it drop down into a male adapter,then slip the 3/4 pipe into the 3/4 adapter. When you solder your pipe you also solder the flared end seated at the bottom of the joint. This way there is no way for the dip tube to ever drop into the heater.

Comment

My A.O. Smith rep says that altering the dip tube will void the warranty though he admits that it should work just fine. It's a CYA thing.
                          sigpic

Comment

My A.O. Smith rep says that altering the dip tube will void the warranty though he admits that it should work just fine. It's a CYA thing.

Ha! That's funny. I remember calling A.O.Smith when the diptubes in the 90's started failing. We were perplexed with what we were finding. The person there said I was the first person to call about that and they didn't know what it could be.
                            As a side note, I knew other plumbers who had already called them....
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

All I hafta take back to the supply house is the sticker off a Rheem and they give me a new one. They dont want the heater,not with me anyway,I assumed it would void the warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X