Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

    Today I had a painter I whom I've seen on a few jobs call and start asking me how to reroute a kitchen drain line and vent. I know he's pretty handy so I start discussing the aspects of the task with him. When we're almost finished with the discussion I hear some noise on his end of the phone that makes me wonder so I ask him. Is this at your house? He says no. He's remodeling a kitchen for a customer. And him and another painter are doing the plumbing.

    To be fair, his plumbing partner did call me a couple times a month ago to come and look at the job but I was too busy to even look at it so never provided a bid.
    Time flies like an arrow.

    Fruit flies like a banana.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

      hardwood floors are always an issue when they install 3/4'' wood above the flange. i would rather have the flooring guy screw up his floor than for me to take the blame.

      i document everything and if need be take photos. it's all a couple key strokes away.

      i've pulled many toilets where there was no grout under the base of the toilet. so either the tile guy set them, and then grouted, or the plumber set the toilet on a tile floor that wasn't grouted.

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        hardwood floors are always an issue when they install 3/4'' wood above the flange. i would rather have the flooring guy screw up his floor than for me to take the blame.

        i document everything and if need be take photos. it's all a couple key strokes away.

        i've pulled many toilets where there was no grout under the base of the toilet. so either the tile guy set them, and then grouted, or the plumber set the toilet on a tile floor that wasn't grouted.

        rick.
        I always correct flange problems before I set a bowl so I dont worry much about any type flooring aslong as its semi level and flat.

        Photos are great if you have done the work but if you didn't set the toilet you wouldn't have a pic of it. Thats why I make detailed descriptions of work so when the owners call up I can pull the invoice and see what was done.....most of the time I have some pics but not always. I'm a plumber not a photographer plus pics dont always tell the story like a detailed descriptin can. The problem can be that pictures dont explain what you did or had to do...especially when another plumber isn't looking at the pics,a judge that doesn't now jack crap about plumbing could be looking at them. Thats why a complete description of work cant be replaced by pictures.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

          A buddy of mine does work for a contractor.He does all the groundworks, rough in's etc. We have gone back on occasion to find the fixtures done! even on a couple permitted jobs. I told him F*** this.Nobody is doing the plumbing on my jobs under my permits but me.. I think what his problem is that he does not give prices up front , just wings it and when the jobs complete says you owe me this much..Contractor is saving $$ by having him there as little as possible..Then he's trying to get him out to another job and my buddy is saying. Well what about the last job."Oh we finished that up"...I told him to loose that contractor but he's still doing work for him.The guy is very slow to pay as well..What a way to make a living..Told my buddy don't send me any of your deadbeat contractors.You deal with them and.
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

            well I agree with you master as I would have told him to take a hike if you were paied to take care of all the plumbing in the house that means not leting a tile guy set the toilet so good for you I can tell when a tile guy usualy sets a toilet after he tiles a bathroom cause there the only idiots to try and reuse wax rings that are 10 years old
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

              Would the whole conversation have been different if he'd asked you 'Are you coming back to set the toilets, or do you want us to do it when we've got the tile in?' Choice of words is everything. He may have gone from from trying to be helpful to being an *** just by word choice. Probably not though.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                whats the payoff for the tile boy to set the stools? is he billing t & m? your the gc's plumber. hell i've been on jobs where i'm plumbing and someone else is the electrician. i'm licensed, i don't do any electrical work there. i was on a job once an another plumber shows up. i asked joe if he was replacing me and said no that the owner just said he was cheaper on pumps. lol. i'm like nh i've set down and watched someone do my work. breid...................

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                  Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  Would the whole conversation have been different if he'd asked you 'Are you coming back to set the toilets, or do you want us to do it when we've got the tile in?' Choice of words is everything. He may have gone from from trying to be helpful to being an *** just by word choice. Probably not though.
                  He should not be setting toilets anywhere except his own house if that. I have a license for a reason..both plumbing and business. I get paid by the hour so I dont mind coming back to set toilets.

                  Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  whats the payoff for the tile boy to set the stools? is he billing t & m? your the gc's plumber. hell i've been on jobs where i'm plumbing and someone else is the electrician. i'm licensed, i don't do any electrical work there. i was on a job once an another plumber shows up. i asked joe if he was replacing me and said no that the owner just said he was cheaper on pumps. lol. i'm like nh i've set down and watched someone do my work. breid...................
                  I think his boss(tile business) told him to set the toilets because they took them up to install tile. I dont know how they charge...but I work for the owner and the owner does not want a tile guy installing his toilets.

                  They shouldn't be removing toilets either...or installing them. I'm calling the chief inspector in the next day or two...I'm filing a formal complaint about tile people removing and installing toilets.....I suspect every tile business in the city will get a letter when I'm done. The inspector and I are blood brothers.

                  The letter will not stop them but it will make them aware....so when they are caught they cant say.."I didn't know"

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                    If you tell me who your congressman is, I'll personally hand deliver a note to him/her These atrocities can't continue

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                      Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      If you tell me who your congressman is, I'll personally hand deliver a note to him/her These atrocities can't continue

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                        You don't need a license to remove or install a toilet.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                          Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          You don't need a license to remove or install a toilet.
                          You need a license here to break the seal on a trap. PERIOD.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                            Show me in your code book or amendments thereto where it says that because in most states anyone can make minor repairs or adjustments to fixtures and fittings without a license. This issue comes before the board probably a dozen times a month due to handymen and such doing just exactly what you are talking about. There is nothing in the IPC that precludes anyone from removing and re-setting a toilet provided the plumbing that it is attached to has not been altered, PERIOD
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                              Can a homeowner/handyman replace a Fluidmaster with a Brasscraft?


                              J.C.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

                                J
                                Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                Show me in your code book or amendments thereto where it says that because in most states anyone can make minor repairs or adjustments to fixtures and fittings without a license. This issue comes before the board probably a dozen times a month due to handymen and such doing just exactly what you are talking about. There is nothing in the IPC that precludes anyone from removing and re-setting a toilet provided the plumbing that it is attached to has not been altered, PERIOD
                                I dont need to show you. I know what my codes are. You must not understand that here we can ammend any code we adopt....and we do ammend them. Just like its required that we run water heater pan drains with 1.5" pipe. We do whatever we want And if you break the seal of a trap and you dont own the property....a license is required.

                                Not to mention if tile flooring is being installed that means the flange must be corrected....and that requires a permit. If you install a new toilet a permit is required...if you remove a toilet and then re-install it you do not need a permit but you do need a license.

                                Replacing a closet flange is considered altering the DWV system.

                                And I thought all this time you guys had strict codes up north...I guess not as strict as I once thought.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X