Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

I did a quick google search, and New Mexico requires a licensed Plumber for the installation of toilets. New York City is questionable with contradicting information.

Honestly I think it boils down to the area in which we live.

Comment

honestly, all I want out of the tile guy is two things;

something vaguely approaching a flat surface to set the toilet on, and clean your buckets and tools outside.

anything else is just gravy.

oh yeah... if you have to set the toilet yurself, do whatever foolish thing you like; i can fix it later, but don't grout the bowl in, or worse, glue it down with that acrylic caulk.

edit: i'm an a$$ for talking here; this is all about new construction/remodel and I don't do that. I just pull them and set them when there is no other/better way in to the clog,... if it was done right in the first place there'd be no need; real plumbers leave cleanouts and slope their lines.
      Last edited by Ace Sewer; 01-20-2011, 02:53 AM.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

the majority of the flooring people will remove the toilet and do the flooring.

the smart ones will not reinstall the toilet.

but i have no issue with them trying. it's their floor or customers floor they're risking.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You know you are in trouble when you take off the bolt covers and there are no nuts or bolts just caulk holding the covers on
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the majority of the flooring people will remove the toilet and do the flooring.

the smart ones will not reinstall the toilet.

but i have no issue with them trying. it's their floor or customers floor they're risking.

rick.
            Well rick actually in this case it will be the buyers floor and it probably would have lasted long enough and the people who bought the house dumb enough not to know how to do anything about the crappy plumbing work the tile guy did for them before they bought the house.

The kinda call you get and the customer says....."while your here I want you to check my other bath....it always stinks" I immediately ask if ceramic tile or a new floor was installed in the last few years.

For the real tile companies here i go out and remove the toilet and seal the drain proper. I have a friend in the carpet cleaning and water extraction business and he has restored plenty of apartments where the handy maintenence crew removed a toilet downstairs and the main overflow into it from 3 other units because the pipe was not sealed right...they stuffed newspaper in it for a week or so during a remodel.
            Typically I rebuild the tank also if they are using the old toilet and the parts have any age on them at all or crappy parts in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Same here and the tile guys usually make a mess. The stack horned wax rings up....Not on my jobs.....thats not happening.

ADD> I want to thank sewerrat and nhmaster for hacking up my thread...only to have another member post info that is basically the same as mine but yet neither has asked Flux for proof. just goes to show these two guys have a problem with me so bad.....that they jump the gun at any chance to call me out.....in turn they are always getting embarrassed and it seems that i'm picking on them but actually its the other way around. They feel threatened by my knowledge is all I can figure. My grandfather told me success has enemies and that is true!!!
              Hacking up your thread? You are the guy that says the tile guy can't set the toilet. All I'm asking for is the proof of that statement and it absolutely does relate to YOUR thread. Funny when Robert says he has had Fluidmaster floats waterlogg, YOU have no problem calling him out, do ya? Believe me, nobody is threatened by your knowledge here. You have a long pattern of doing this very same thing on%2
              Last edited by NHMaster3015; 01-20-2011, 07:29 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Hacking up your thread? You are the guy that says the tile guy can't set the toilet. All I'm asking for is the proof of that statement and it absolutely does relate to YOUR thread. Funny when Robert says he has had Fluidmaster floats waterlogg, YOU have no problem calling him out, do ya? Believe me, nobody is threatened by your knowledge here. You have a long pattern of doing this very same thing on%2
                I dont know who Robert is......I just know a fluidmaster doesn't malfunction from a waterlogged float....and once again I proved it with 3 videos. I dont get real personal like some do...I dont call people by their names if they dont readliy have it in their username or request it. I respect people like that.

If a person is not the homeowner they must have a plumbing license because here to work on other people plumbing you must have a business license and in order to get a plumbing business license you are required to have a master plumbing license.

People who work on plumbing other than in the home they own and live in for MONEY are treated like a plumbing contractor.......to get a plumbing contractors business license you must be a master plumbers license.

Now thats how things are here.....I dont care how things are for you and your codes because I dont follow or care about your codes.

Now I can provide proof but I dont want to....not to you anyway.

I will send the link to ToUtahNow and he can tell you how wrong you are NHmaster. But I will not provide you personally with proof.

Do you understand that? Sorry if ya dont like it...but your not the boss

Do you consider removing and installing toilets as "Plumbing work"....or Electrical work...or Fire protection...Mechanical...or GAS work? I personally know that installing toilets is considered plumbing work,its certainly not Tile floor guy work. So based off that and reading the below code 111.1 General you will see that a license is required. Unless its work being done in the home in which you own or live in....then you dont need a license......but when your working for others it becomes a business and its plumbing.
                Have a wonderful day

111.1 General
                . Before any person, firm, or corporation shall engage in fire protection,
                mechanical, electrical, plumbing, or gas fitting work within the City, County, and State they shall

be qualified as set forth herein, and a license shall be obtained from the City, County, and State

as required and proper bonds posted. Where electrical, plumbing, or gas fitting work is being

done, a master or journeyman electrician, plumber, utility gas fitter or gas fitter shall at all times

be present on the job, and in actual control and in charge of the work being done.

111.6 Unlawful To Do Business Without Certificate.
                It shall be unlawful:

For any person other than a holder of a certificate of registration as an apprentice

electrician, plumber or gas fitter to do any electrical, plumbing or gas installation or construction

work in the city.

111.9 Bond Required of Electrical, Plumbing or Gas Contractors.
                Before any person, firm,
                or corporation may engage in the business of installing, maintaining, or repairing electrical
                wiring, plumbing or gas apparatus and equipment, or excavating, or blasting as an Electrical,
                Plumbing or Gas Contractor within the City of--------- a bond is required.

Last edited by TheMaster; 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Here have a good read..... this one even says that the homeowner cant do anything on the OUTLET SIDE OF THE TRAP. LAST I CHECKED A WAX SEAL IS ON THE OUTLET SIDE OF THE TRAP.

But i can tell you that homeowners can replace there own toilet and the inspectors let them. The inspectors will not allow a handyman to remove and re install toilets......sorry ole buddy ole chum ole pal

You must also have a plumbing license to make the connection at the junction of the citys sewer lateral and the homeowners sewer....even a homeowner cant make that connection....because its not on the owners property..it at the line and one side of the connection is actually city property.

But you see all those details are not listed......you hafta know wtf your talking about and its hard to know wtf your talking about when you dont live or do business here like I do. Everythings not online yet despite what some think!!!!

101.3.5 Plumbing Installation or Maintenance by Home Owner.
                  Nothing in this Code shall

prevent any qualified owner of single family home from installing or maintaining plumbing

within his own property boundaries, provided such plumbing work is done by himself and is

used exclusively by him and his family and, also, provided that such plumbing work does not
                  necessitate repair, alteration or direct connection to soil, waste, or drain lines on the outlet side of a trap.
                  Last edited by TheMaster; 01-20-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I'll wait for the link but in the meantime does your city require drain cleaners to have a plumbers license?

For the record here though, all I ever asked you for was the rule, or amendment. and the only reason I asked is because having been on the state plumbing board and the code review board for many years, this subject comes up constantly and in most states it has been deemed unconstitutional for the state to pass such rules or amendments and in those states or localities that have done so, when the case has been taken to court the defendant has won his case. Another little tidbit of info that should pique everyone's interest is that plumbing boards only have jurisdiction over licensed plumbers. Take a second and let that sink in, it has far reaching consequences.

You highlighted for MONEY a couple of times. Proving that the tile setter has actually charged for removing and or re-setting the toilets is pretty hard to do unless he specifically writes it on his bill.
                    sigpic

Comment

Gee, another 7 page thread over nothing. Who'd a thunk it?

J.C.

Comment

Really , and trust me it aint' over ...I don't know anymore..This things been beat to death
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Here we go!

Comment

Wake me when it gets to 20 pages, that's when it really heats up.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              I'll wait for the link but in the meantime does your city require drain cleaners to have a plumbers license?

For the record here though, all I ever asked you for was the rule, or amendment. and the only reason I asked is because having been on the state plumbing board and the code review board for many years, this subject comes up constantly and in most states it has been deemed unconstitutional for the state to pass such rules or amendments and in those states or localities that have done so, when the case has been taken to court the defendant has won his case. Another little tidbit of info that should pique everyone's interest is that plumbing boards only have jurisdiction over licensed plumbers. Take a second and let that sink in, it has far reaching consequences.

You highlighted for MONEY a couple of times. Proving that the tile setter has actually charged for removing and or re-setting the toilets is pretty hard to do unless he specifically writes it on his bill.
                              Heres how they get around that unconstitutional thing. They require a person to have a plumbers contractors license to alter or repair plumbing in the city. The only way you can get a plumbing contractors license is to be a master plumber who is bonded and have a business licensed issued by the state. To get a state business license for plumbing you must also have a master plumbing license.

Homeowners can install their own toilets despite what the code says...it has been ammended and the online code is wrong.

Contractors are not allowed to set toilets unless they are a licensed plumber.
                              A contractor be it tile,carpentry,mason or any other contractor cannot install toilets for a customer. Even for free.

I spoke with the inspector for that area today and he confirmed that if I come down to the office and fill out a formal complaint he will send a letter to that tile company and that they are not allowed to install toilets just like they are not allowed to replace P-traps. Just like I said. Break that trap seal and you crossed the line were his exact words. He even told me that if I go to install a toilet I have 3 days to buy a permit and they will not inspect it. To replace a waxseal is considered an emergency repair and no permit is needed but must be done by a plumbing contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                                Really , and trust me it aint' over ...I don't know anymore..This things been beat to death
                                Trust me, it's over. I have the information that I was looking for, including the city where it originated. There is no point in pursuing the matter any further. You all will have to make a decision if you even care which I imagine most of you don't. PM me if you want details.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X