Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

So what you're saying is
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Trust me, it's over. I have the information that I was looking for, including the city where it originated. There is no point in pursuing the matter any further. You all will have to make a decision if you even care which I imagine most of you don't. PM me if you want details.
      Yes its over because your wrong and even another guy posted up that its required to have a plumbing liicense in his area and a place in new mexico also requires a license to install toilets.

I dont see what your point is about trying to verify codes when clearly there is more to law tha plumbing codes and every place has its own laws and regulations wether it be in a plumbing code or not.

A tile contractor installng a toilet is no different than a garbage man installing toilets and its not allowed here.

Just like the 2lb gas regulators that you say cant be insdie....but yet there are thousands of them all over the city

Comment

ok, gotta stir the pot.

so, when you replace a disposer, is that plumbing, or electrical, or both plumbing and electrical?

do you bring in an electrician to wire the cord to the disposer?

is it not plumbing because it is outside the trap?

if you remove the trap to get some room, are you all of a sudden plumbing?
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          ok, gotta stir the pot.

so, when you replace a disposer, is that plumbing, or electrical, or both plumbing and electrical?

And..... do drain cleaning guys need to have a plumbing license to remove a toilet and rod the drain? Never did get an answer on that one. And reading the city's code it does not say that drain guys need plumbing licenses. There's a whole lot more that it doesn't say also but interpretation is the key.
          sigpic

Comment

ok, gotta stir the pot.

if you remove the trap to get some room, are you all of a sudden plumbing?
            Its appliance replacement. If you break the trap its plumbing. I can wire a disposal with the existing wire but I cant run a circuit or replace an outlet it may be plugged into.

Same for a water heater. I can connect an existing wire to it but I cant extend that wire.

Comment

So, I'm competent to screw wire nuts on and attach a ground in a box that is attached to an appliance, but not one attached to a wall stud.

And I can be trusted to hook up the disposer discharge tube to the diverter t, but if I'm going to replace the cracked p-trap while I'm there I better have a master plumber's liscence.

Seems a little arbitrary.

I understand and applaud the liscensing and permitting process when it's goal is to provide competent work to protect customers and the public at large. I don't think much of using it to mark territory and claim work. Smacks too much of the union infighting I saw at at plant I used to work at.

Those guys' favorite thing was to waste half a day arguing about which trade's job something was. My standard tactic was to get guys from every vaguly related trade on the job and then start doing it myself and let them show me how, shame them into getting it done. It was like babysitting. I'd make what I thought was a generous budget estimate and then triple it. Not about doing good work anymore, now about milking stuff.

Can you honestly tell me that you think replacing a p-trap is demanding work, that requires skill and experience to do correctly, with serious consequences if done wrong, and should only be left to a liscenced plumber? If so, how is attaching a disposer discharge to a diverter t any less of a job?
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

We are now required to carry another SP-EL (Special Electrical) license to connect & disconnect a water heater, dishwasher, or garbage disposal.

More B.S. for fees in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

So, I'm competent to screw wire nuts on and attach a ground in a box that is attached to an appliance, but not one attached to a wall stud.

And I can be trusted to hook up the disposer discharge tube to the diverter t, but if I'm going to replace the cracked p-trap while I'm there I better have a master plumber's liscence.

Seems a little arbitrary.

I understand and applaud the liscensing and permitting process when it's goal is to provide competent work to protect customers and the public at large. I don't think much of using it to mark territory and claim work. Smacks too much of the union infighting I saw at at plant I used to work at.

Those guys' favorite thing was to waste half a day arguing about which trade's job something was. My standard tactic was to get guys from every vaguly related trade on the job and then start doing it myself and let them show me how, shame them into getting it done. It was like babysitting. I'd make what I thought was a generous budget estimate and then triple it. Not about doing good work anymore, now about milking stuff.

Can you honestly tell me that you think replacing a p-trap is demanding work, that requires skill and experience to do correctly, with serious consequences if done wrong, and should only be left to a liscenced plumber? If so, how is attaching a disposer discharge to a diverter t any less of a job?
                  I dont make the rules ace sewer but there has to be a cut-off between the two and thats how they do it. I can connect wires but not alter it or replace it. All disposals and dishwashers must have an outlet now for new construction. And yes I wire the pigtail to the appliance and plug it in.

2" traps are required on K-sinks here also.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    We are now required to carry another SP-EL (Special Electrical) license to connect & disconnect a water heater, dishwasher, or garbage disposal.

More B.S. for fees in my opinion.

J.C.

Is that for real or are you just screwing with us?
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                      Is that for real or are you just screwing with us?
                      That is 100% for real.

J.C.

Comment

A couple of cities around here prohibit us touching electrical but nobody enforces it. It's like technically having to pull a permit to replace a water heater. seems like a good idea, but it's real hard to enforce on a Sunday afternoon when a tank decides to leak.
                        sigpic

Comment

A couple of cities around here prohibit us touching electrical but nobody enforces it. It's like technically having to pull a permit to replace a water heater. seems like a good idea, but it's real hard to enforce on a Sunday afternoon when a tank decides to leak.
                          Thats why they give us 72 hrs to get a permit. Emergency jobs can be started without a permit here. I love this freakin place

Comment

For the record here though, all I ever asked you for was the rule, or amendment. and the only reason I asked is because having been on the state plumbing board and the code review board for many years, this subject comes up constantly and in most states it has been deemed unconstitutional for the state to pass such rules or amendments and in those states or localities that have done so, when the case has been taken to court the defendant has won his case. Another little tidbit of info that should pique everyone's interest is that plumbing boards only have jurisdiction over licensed plumbers. Take a second and let that sink in, it has far reaching consequences.
                            Try telling this to the State of New Jersey.

Comment

I'm just telling you what the board told us last month. I swear as soon as that statement was made 50 plumbers yelled What the F*%^ The dust didn't settle for about an hour and a half. Then we read the code and the states adoption and lo and behold the wording is what it is. According to the board, the only way they can prosecute an unlicensed plumber is if a local authority ( inspector ) files a formal complaint first. State inspectors have no jurisdiction over anyone except licensed plumbers in NH, Maine either for that matter and probably a bunch of other states that overlooked that wording thing when they adopted rules and regulations
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm just telling you what the board told us last month. I swear as soon as that statement was made 50 plumbers yelled What the F*%^ The dust didn't settle for about an hour and a half. Then we read the code and the states adoption and lo and behold the wording is what it is. According to the board, the only way they can prosecute an unlicensed plumber is if a local authority ( inspector ) files a formal complaint first. State inspectors have no jurisdiction over anyone except licensed plumbers in NH, Maine either for that matter and probably a bunch of other states that overlooked that wording thing when they adopted rules and regulations
                                While unfair, it does sound correct. All that does is encourage licensed people to usurp the rules and avoid inspections.

Better off doing things right and not being licensed.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X