X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

Tile guy asked me that today on a house that a Realtor is flipping.

I said sure.....while you install the toilets I will finish laying the tile in the living room. He got a strange look on his face and said..."nevermind" I said sure thing Mr. Hacks More strange looks All 125 pounds of him looked pizzed off.......His helper was laughing about it when he went out to call the realtor...I asked his helper how long the guy has been snorting thinset The helper said....'I told his dumbazz he was stoopid for asking a plumber for parts.....and dumber for wanting to set toilets anyway"

Ever have that happen?

Re: Can i buy a couple wax rings off ya?

I have given away countless fittings , pipe, etc. to guys on the job..Someday I may need something from them ..Who cares if he's going to set a couple toilets
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      I have given away countless fittings , pipe, etc. to guys on the job..Someday I may need something from them ..Who cares if he's going to set a couple toilets

I care.

Comment

Comment

Look brother,I dont mind a guy trying to repair his own toilet or his old mothers toilet because they dont have any money or whatever....BUT when I tile guy asks me for material so he can do MY job while I'm ON that JOB...just dont work. He is lucky I didn't tell him to F off....and it almost rolled off my tongue but then I caught myself because that would be bad thing to do...so I had fun with the guy

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            Look brother,I dont mind a guy trying to repair his own toilet or his old mothers toilet because they dont have any money or whatever....BUT when I tile guy asks me for material so he can do MY job while I'm ON that JOB...just dont work. He is lucky I didn't tell him to F off....and it almost rolled off my tongue but then I caught myself because that would be bad thing to do...so I had fun with the guy
            Didn't quite get that from the original post.. I get it..Reminds me of a rehab job years ago..Every time this one old carpenter saw a plumber he asked em' for a saw zall blade..That game ended quickly when he asked the wrong mechanic..I still felt bad for the ol' dude..

Comment

maybe he thought he was doing you a favor. Any time someone wants to set a toilet, I'm all for it. I'd have given him the rings, bolts and new supply tubes if he asked. I'd have even sat on a 5 gallon mud bucket and given him instructions if he asked.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                maybe he thought he was doing you a favor. Any time someone wants to set a toilet, I'm all for it. I'd have given him the rings, bolts and new supply tubes if he asked. I'd have even sat on a 5 gallon mud bucket and given him instructions if he asked.
                Sure if I didn't hafta warranty the job I would love to do that....drink a few beers and watch the guy install the toilets but when the realtor sells the house he hands them a copy of my invoice and the new owner gets a warranty because thats how I roll and thats why the realtor doesn't question me when I tell him a problem because he realizes that for me to give a warranty I MUST do the work the proper way.

The tile guy was just wanting more work and he failed......I think the guys on meth myself.

Comment

I would sell a guy some pipe before I ever let go of wax rings No matter how I store them they get messed a up, and I never ever have enough of them.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Tile guy asked me that today on a house that a Realtor is flipping.

I said sure.....while you install the toilets I will finish laying the tile in the living room. He got a strange look on his face and said..."nevermind" I said sure thing Mr. Hacks More strange looks All 125 pounds of him looked pizzed off.......His helper was laughing about it when he went out to call the realtor...I asked his helper how long the guy has been snorting thinset The helper said....'I told his dumbazz he was stoopid for asking a plumber for parts.....and dumber for wanting to set toilets anyway"

Ever have that happen?
                    I missed it were you originally supposed to set the toilets or for something else?
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                      I missed it were you originally supposed to set the toilets or for something else?
                      The job requested was to install a K-sink and the hallway toilet to be
                      re-installed....and to make sure all the plumbing works

That means if anymore plumbing is to be done in that house I'm doing it.

I get there and the guy wants wax seals to install two toilets.

Comment

The job requested was to install a K-sink and the hallway toilet to be
                        re-installed....and to make sure all the plumbing works

That means if anymore plumbing is to be done in that house I'm doing it.

I get there and the guy wants wax seals to install two toilets.
                        I say you were right not to give him any thing... he was the tile guy not the plumber...what gives him the right to do your job and take your cash and then if and when he screws it up you will get blamed....I say piss on em!! How would he like it if you said hey can you give me a bucket of grout and go ahead and hit he road and I'll finish it up?
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                          I say you were right not to give him any thing... he was the tile guy not the plumber...what gives him the right to do your job and take your cash and then if and when he screws it up you will get blamed....I say piss on em!! How would he like it if you said hey can you give me a bucket of grout and go ahead and hit he road and I'll finish it up?
                          Oh I did tell him I would finish the living room tile while he set the toilets Thats when he got the funny look on his face. His helper walked off after glancing at me with a smile on his face....he knew what was up.

The Realtor doesn't let tile guys do his plumbing if he knows about it....thing is these tile guys take toilets up and put them back all the time for alot of people and they leave a mess 99% of the time.

Here is a prime example of how tile guys setting toilets have been a P.I.T.A......House gets sold and 6 months later the new owner calls the realtor and says his toilet is leaking from the base. The realtor automatically thinks "Plumber" Then he thinks that I've done all the work in that house.....because i do all his plumbing and he immediately calls me with the problem. I hafta pull the invoice and see what I did or didn't do at the job....then call him back and tell him that i didn't set toilets......then I ask if he had tile installed in the bathroom. Yes they did. That told the story because I make detailed job descriptions on my invoices. Now the Realtor makes a copy of my invoices and gives them to the buyers....but you know how people are and dont keep up with their crap so they bother everyone.....and its all because of the tile guy setting bowls.

One tile guy removed the leg under a pedestal lavatory and over the weekend it fell off the wall and flooded the house. Who do you think got the call that a lavatory I installed fell off the wall and flooded a 400,000 home at 6:30 am??? Come to find out I hadn't even worked in the house but I had worked across the street I was flippin out for 30 minutes till i verified the address.

Comment

When something like this happens I always write on the invoice: "Toilets installed by others" or "Toilets to be set by tile setter" or "Rough plumbing only, fixture installation by owner".

More than once we have been called back to correct the installation by the handyman or tile setter and we were able to charge for the corrections because of this wording. If we don't do the work, we don't warranty it. Our work orders state that clearly as well as we only warrant material supplied by us.

People do not get tired of taking advantage of the tradesmen but we certainly do not go down with out a fight.

Comment

A few times a year I go behind tile guys to re-set toilets.

I find that tile guys-handymen-carpenters etc.. know more about Plumbing than me.

I'm fine with it because I make more money correcting their mistakes. If tile guys want to set toilets...I'm fine with that as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X