X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers driving you crazy......

I received a call from a new customer a week ago and told her that a new Moen Chateau chrome faucet would be $240 installed. So I installed it the next day. I was waiting to hear back about whether she wanted me to install a 5ft vanity with a custom width 62-1/4" granite countertop, undermount sink and faucet in her bathroom. She leaves a voicemail saying that she thinks my price of $1,800 is too high(I gave her a price of $1,960) and that she still needs to pay me for the faucet install....and she thinks it is...uh....$150. I call her right back and correct her.....she gasps and says she wouldn't have gotten it done if she knew......"the faucet only costs $60 ...doesn't it??? " Then complains that I want $50 to change out the cartridge in her other shower(I'll be in the bulding already)...tells me that she only paid $50 for the whole valve. I tell her, " Well that's why it needs a repair already, it is a cheap piece of garbage from home depot" either these people are smoking crack.....or they just like playing games wasting my time..... so what good similar stories do you guys have?

Re: Customers driving you crazy......

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
    I received a call from a new customer a week ago and told her that a new Moen Chateau chrome faucet would be $240 installed. So I installed it the next day. I was waiting to hear back about whether she wanted me to install a 5ft vanity with a custom width 62-1/4" granite countertop, undermount sink and faucet in her bathroom. She leaves a voicemail saying that she thinks my price of $1,800 is too high(I gave her a price of $1,960) and that she still needs to pay me for the faucet install....and she thinks it is...uh....$150. I call her right back and correct her.....she gasps and says she wouldn't have gotten it done if she knew......"the faucet only costs $60 ...doesn't it??? " Then complains that I want $50 to change out the cartridge in her other shower(I'll be in the bulding already)...tells me that she only paid $50 for the whole valve. I tell her, " Well that's why it needs a repair already, it is a cheap piece of garbage from home depot" either these people are smoking crack.....or they just like playing games wasting my time..... so what good similar stories do you guys have?
    How did a new customer end up not paying you after you installed the faucet?

Comment

She lives 30 minutes from here...it's a rental condo. The condo office manager referred her to me.

Comment

She lives 30 minutes from here...it's a rental condo. The condo office manager referred her to me.
        Bummer. I require new customers to be onsite with a form of payment when I'm finished. Sure I lose business some times but I never hafta chase my money.

Comment

Originally posted by themaster View Post
          bummer. I require new customers to be onsite with a form of payment when i'm finished. Sure i lose business some times but i never hafta chase my money.

i like it!!
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Yea...what we do is get a credit card on file and run it for the amount quoted and if goes over bill them the rest or run the card for the balance...if its under then....what a minute...its never under!
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              Yea...what we do is get a credit card on file and run it for the amount quoted and if goes over bill them the rest or run the card for the balance...if its under then....what a minute...its never under!

Same here. We do NOTHING without having the customers credit card number on file.
              sigpic

Comment

I was just talking about that with another plumber friend....what companies do you guys use and what do they charge you?

Comment

I have a job set up for tomorrow. A bank called and wants me to replace a leaking sillcock and a couple other minor repairs to a home they are renting. I gave the guy a ballpark price and he wants the job done. I asked him who is going to pay the plumber when he is done? They said they will send us a check in two weeks. I told him right off he and his bank does not have an account with us, we need to get paid on the completion of the job or have a credit card that we can preauthorize a set amount on, and we will release the authorization once we get the check in two weeks, but if we do not have the check by week three we will finalize the credit card.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I was just talking about that with another plumber friend....what companies do you guys use and what do they charge you?
                    We go through our local bank and with out an on the job card scanner we get charged 1.75% per transaction. We call it into the office and they type all the info into the card reader. If we did it online it would cost a little bit more. But we owned our card reader for almost 20 years now.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We use Merchant Services...$10.00 month flat fee....then like for every $100.00 its like $2.00 to $3.00 and the machine was like $50.00 (one time). Got in a promotion deal...about the cheapest and best company we worked with.
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

We do it over the phone, cell phone or land line it doesn't matter. Call the 800 number from the job, punch in the numbers get the autho and the money is in our account. No machines required, fee's are cheap and it's fast and easy. Have it through Wells Fargo.

Comment

We get the occasional pain in the butt customer who whines about price.

We have to remember that...Plumbing can't be admired like Carpentry can (except bathrooms). Nobody is going to hang out in their unfinished basement drinking beers and looking at their pipes.

Today a new customer left a message about...How is heater is not running and he knows what parts he needs to fix it, but can't get the parts because he's not a heating contractor.

Let's just say we couldn't delete that message fast enough. If he truly knew the parts he needed..he knew the cost of them, and we didn't feel like explaining our charges to fix the problem to him.
                          Last edited by Flux; 01-20-2011, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I received a call for a new customer that wanted her R.O. filters replaced and she had the filters.

So, I show up and pull all the crap out of the sink and ask for the filters. She hands me a paper. The paper says to call this number for filters.

At this point I am a little puzzled and ask why she didn't just go ahead and buy the filters and she says because we don't have the money and want you to just take care of it.

I bolted out the door. The last name of the customer started with a Z. I just warning ya, because I am sure she will be calling another plumber.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

She is trying to scam you. She probably talked to a handyman or a hardware man and he lowballed her work.

You should always get the money!

Comment

Working...
                              X