X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pvc freeze damage

This is what pvc does when it freezes and bursts. Nice insulation huh?

Re: Pvc freeze damage

That was an extension because the original plumber or the plans had the sillcock where you couldn't reach it from the deck. The homeowner did not want to do anything different but replace the damaged pipe and use it like they always had.

And the new Rehau pex installed. Too bad I had to put the fittings so close together,as that reduces its ability to withstand freezing without bursting.

Comment

You southern boys get all excited when things freeze down there We're looking forward to 15 below for the next week with highs around -5

Hey, where's the vacuum breaker on that sillcock?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        You southern boys get all excited when things freeze down there We're looking forward to 15 below for the next week with highs around -5

Hey, where's the vacuum breaker on that sillcock?
        Its not required unless they have a swimming pool.
        I dont mind repairing crap like that,its easy money and she tipped me a 20.

Oh and I insulated it too Uv here is strong.

Comment

You are under the 2003 IPC Table 608.1 requires all hose connections be protected against back siphonage by a vacuum breaker. Your local amendments to not say different and if fact, since you can't amend a code to make it less stringent you need a vacuum breaker on all hose connections.
          sigpic

Comment

Here we go again !
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
              Here we go again !
              Swimming pool? What in hell does having a swimming pool have to do with needing to protect a hose connection from backflow? Sure, someone could leave the hose in the pool and siphon pool water to the main but what about all the other nasty things that can be attached to a hose, like fertilizer feeders and such. Nobody cares about that probability? so, I'm supposed to believe that the state plumbing board only considers swimming pools to be a potential hazard? I think I'm gonna move down south so's I can forget all the rules of modern sanitary plumbing practice. maybe get me into the outhouse business
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                You are under the 2003 IPC Table 608.1 requires all hose connections be protected against back siphonage by a vacuum breaker. Your local amendments to not say different and if fact, since you can't amend a code to make it less stringent you need a vacuum breaker on all hose connections.
                Sorry NHmaster your wrong again. They are not required here,at one time they were but not anymore. In residential they are required if they have a swimming pool. They are required on commercial.

You really need to focus on other things because you dont understand how things work here. If they are required for your area I understand that and have no problem with that.

The backflow device is at the water meter. They consider that more stringent HELLO!

Comment

I don't know what part of the south your referring to, but in Texas, no protection on all outdoor sill cocks and you will have no water service from the municipal utility district (water co)

Comment

This is from a national cross connection prevention book i have.

Over half of the nation’s cross connections involve unprotected garden hoses.

In Kansas, a man died from drinking out of his garden hose. He had been spraying the yard with poison to get rid of bugs and had connected his garden hose to the spraying device. Unknown to him, during the spraying, a drop in pressure occurred in the main water system causing the poisoned water to backflow into the hose. Enough to kill him when he took a drink from the garden hose after spraying. He had contaminated his own water system.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

In Kansas, a man died from drinking out of his garden hose. He had been spraying the yard with poison to get rid of bugs and had connected his garden hose to the spraying device. Unknown to him, during the spraying, a drop in pressure occurred in the main water system causing the poisoned water to backflow into the hose. Enough to kill him when he took a drink from the garden hose after spraying. He had contaminated his own water system.
                      I have looked at water under a microscope from a "clean garden hose".....nasty nasty nasty!!! So I can't image what that water looked like....happens more than we know.
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

not required and not enforced aren't the same thing. The backflow device installed at the meter is typically an untestable dual spring check, though i'm not sure what gets installed in your area. NHMaster is correct that the local amendments can't trump the ICC, the can't be made less stringent.

but again, enforcement is going to dictate how a lot of things are done.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

Does a boiler drain on a water heater require a backflow preventer? Or does a washing machine box connections? I have seen pressure washer guys connect to both of those.

Comment

good point, maybe we should push for a code amendment <.<

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            Does a boiler drain on a water heater require a backflow preventer? Or does a washing machine box connections? I have seen pressure washer guys connect to both of those.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Lots of things don't that maybe should. Heck, I was thinking the other day that toilets should have at least a check on them in case that Fluidmaster or any other valve got into a back siphon situation.

Then you might get a mouthful of that 2000 Flushes Blue.

More stringent applies. An area cannot degrade the basic code. If they do, it's only a matter of time before they get in trouble and installers will too.

The notion of "I was doing what I was told..." will not hold up when one knows better. It didn't work at Nuremberg either.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X